Question about the theory of evolution in here

Soldato
Mr Mag00 said:
maybe that why they have 8, they have evolved to be able to survive with 7 or 6!. As stated it is a system based on mutation.wnat to read uponit i suggest you read 'song of the dodo' by daviv quammen,interesting and humourous look at island biogeography,eveolution and darwin etc. As for evolution is it true,good grief dont start me on creationism GRRRR:)

.... Precisely. :cool:

Its basically random, and we don't know precisely how long it takes for a mutation to occur due to it being partially random as well as abiotic and environmental factors having a difference. For example people originally from Peru/Nepal/Mountinous regions have abnormally large lungs and hearts to utilise the lower oxygen content at high altitudes. :)

It may be that we have simply not undergone enough generations to allow the gene which allows regeneration to become active, or that a mutation somewhere in the past left that gene behind so it is not in our gene pool at all. :)

Soldato
Zip said:
I understand and believe it to a certain extant. Such as the process of the strongest genes taking advantage when they are past down to create the most healthiest person possible.
But i don't believe that we came from monkeys or other animals.

Does that make sense or was it too vague?
I would try explain it better but im half asleep :o

You honestly don't think we evolved from monkeys? I'd say the resemblance was pretty striking.

Soldato
Carzy said:
You honestly don't think we evolved from monkeys? I'd say the resemblance was pretty striking.

Ian%20Brown.jpg

stevenTyler196.jpg

:p

Soldato
I think he again proves an exception to the rule that white linen trousers are not gay if you are that cool. :p

Mick Jagger is a bit of a chimp too...

Permabanned
Zip said:
I have a question about it :)

If evolution is changing for the better and growing and gaining new abilities that help our survival then why cant we grow arms and legs back?

If we came from the chain of animals or how ever it goes we would have gone though the yabbie, lobster and crab stage and as you know they can all grow back there limbs if they loose them.

So why did evolution choose to leave out that ability?
It seems like a very good ability to have to help stay alive.
So why cant we if the evolution theory is correct?

Evolution doesnt 'choose' anything.

If someone had a genetic trait that involved the ability to regrow limbs (though it would be a gradual change over 1000's of generations, rather than someone simply being born who could do it), then that trait would only become ingrained if it bestowed a distict survival advantage.

The fact that the number of people who lose limbs is very small, and the odds of even an incremental change giving a given person a survival advantage as a result is even smaller, explains why we dont have that ability.

Soldato
Gilly said:
I don't believe in god at all, but I have a question for you.

If god created everything, why would anything need to evolve? And if god created everything, how has anything evolved at all, given that he created everything?

Because if everything was the same, and nothing changed, life on earth (and in general) would be rather boring. If everything was perfect, everyone lived forever and never got sick, if we had no poverty, no conflict, no wars, no need to work, what would we be doing all day long?

Man of Honour
pyro said:
Because if everything was the same, and nothing changed, life on earth (and in general) would be rather boring. If everything was perfect, everyone lived forever and never got sick, if we had no poverty, no conflict, no wars, no need to work, what would we be doing all day long?
So we have been given evolution to keep us from being bored?

Well, at least its original.

Soldato
Gilly said:
Just proves your bad taste again...

One of these days, good taste is going to hit you like a falling elephant, and you'll die from the shock :p

(And The Stone Roses are good, just not an all-time favourite of mine, I think I prefer Brown's solo stuff)

Soldato
Carzy said:
One of these days, good taste is going to hit you like a falling elephant, and you'll die from the shock :p

(I think I prefer Brown's solo stuff)

:-/

You prefer such classic Ian Brown Lyrics such as:

"I could climb any mountin cos me love is like a fountain"

Instead of

"Burst into heaven, kissing the cotton clouds, artic sheets and fields of wheat I can't stop coming down"

Associate
pyro said:

Posting on forums.

Soldato
William said:
:-/

You prefer such classic Ian Brown Lyrics such as:

"I could climb any mountin cos me love is like a fountain"

Instead of

"Burst into heaven, kissing the cotton clouds, artic sheets and fields of wheat I can't stop coming down"

Haha, what a great first lyric :p

I don't know really, I guess I prefer the less guitar orientated stuff off Music Of The Spheres.

Suspended
PinkPig said:
The Theory of Evolution is just that - a theory. (edit: Well, I'm over-emphasising this - it's a "theory" in the scientific sense of what most / many scientists believe to be the closest model of the truth. As with just about everything in science, it seems very likely that scientific opinion will continue to change) The actual evidence infavour of it is less than many people would imagine. (not to say it's not strong, but neither is it indisputable)
I don't agree. Obviously a scientific model can never be proved correct, but the theory of genetic selection is so well-supported by evidence and has such great explanatory power that it's viewed as tantamount to fact by a great many scientists. I don't know of very many scientists at all who dispute the theory of evolution, and if you discount the religious ones (who have a good reason to believe otherwise) then there are even fewer.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Hickin said:
I've always thought this type of human intervention kinda goes against evolution, certanly natural selection i.e. 'only the stong will survive'.
Yes, that was my point. Since the only the strongest could have survived in the past now the weak can survive. Overall the race is becoming weaker as a result. Take me for example, I'm as blind as a bat, so is my brother, my mother is (only child) and so was her mother. As eyesight generally gets passed to your kids both my kids and my bro's kids will probably have poor eyesight. Back in the past we would have basically been blind folk and probably not gone on to procreate and produce more blind folk. There would be less people with poor eyesight as a result.

pyro said:
No, even the most stupid, uncapabe of doing anything person can give something to our society and civilisation. That's the difference between us and the animal kingdom.
True, but on the whole it weakens the species from an evolution point of view. Evolution is there to strengthen the species and weed out the weaker qualities. "Defects" as we see them are genetic variations just there so a species doesn't back itself into a corner, a bit of evolutionary flexibility if you like.

Back
Top Bottom