Question about the theory of evolution in here

Suspended
Jonny69 said:
True, but on the whole it weakens the species from an evolution point of view. Evolution is there to strengthen the species and weed out the weaker qualities. "Defects" as we see them are genetic variations just there so a species doesn't back itself into a corner, a bit of evolutionary flexibility if you like.
We've had advanced technology of the kind you talk about for less than a hundred years. Evolution takes place over hundreds of thousands of years. I doubt that we're making much of a dent. ;)

Soldato
Gilly said:
So we have been given evolution to keep us from being bored?

Well, at least its original.

Evolution just happens in the way of life, things can't stay the same, people's mind and body changes over the years, so does everything else. Simply because we might have come from an animal that, from years and years of evolution, became what humans are today doesn't mean that God doesn't exist, and vice versa, just because God exists doesn't mean that evolution isn't happening.

Soldato
The Theory of evolution is just that, theory, until someone comes up with a mechanism that is plausible, and not full of holes.

There are plenty of holes in both the creation and evolution arguements.

As for the original question? I dont know but if man has been around for say 10,000 years and a crab 100,000,000 its had plenty of time to adapt.

Associate
Edinho said:
The Theory of evolution is just that, theory, until someone comes up with a mechanism that is plausible, and not full of holes.

There are plenty of holes in both the creation and evolution arguements.

A "theory" is as good as it gets in science.

Gravity is a theory.
The Earth orbiting the Sun is also a theory.

If Evolutionary Theory didn't have a plausable mechanism, it would still be a hypothesis.

daz

daz

Soldato
Edinho said:
The Theory of evolution is just that, theory, until someone comes up with a mechanism that is plausible

You don't think evolution is plausible? :confused:

I think the strongest evidence, is quite simply fossil records. As time has progressed, animals have become more complex.

You then have marsupials, which evolved on only one continent on earth because australia broke away from the rest of the land masses.

Of course, you can never argue with somebody that simply says "God made it that way".

Soldato
Trixxy said:
A "theory" is as good as it gets in science.

Really? Whats a Law then?

daz said:
You don't think evolution is plausible? :confused:

I think the strongest evidence, is quite simply fossil records. As time has progressed, animals have become more complex.

Fossil records have holes that are unexplained.

Anyway what theory are we talking about? Darwinian? I dont think anyone can doubt natural selection exists. The theory of natural selection isnt the theory of evolution.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
pyro said:
Evolution just happens in the way of life, things can't stay the same, people's mind and body changes over the years, so does everything else. Simply because we might have come from an animal that, from years and years of evolution, became what humans are today doesn't mean that God doesn't exist, and vice versa, just because God exists doesn't mean that evolution isn't happening.
if you believe in god, do you believe he created man?

Soldato
Phnom_Penh said:
Nah evolution hasn't worked that well... I mean wtf are toes for? ;)
try walking without them
they are for balance, if you lose your little toe you find it harder to walk and keep steady

Soldato
In some ways I think we have evolved beyond evolution. In the animal kingdom, generally the only way a species can advance itself is through their genes and natural selection. We as humans have developed enough to be able to advance ourselves by our own means. Of course this could backfire horribly sometime in the future.

I'm an atheist but I don't see the existance of god as something too far fetched. I find it hard to accept that an intelligent person would believe in the creation story literally as it is in the bible but I could easily understand that someone might believe that god caused the big bang, knowing that evolution would occur and humans would develop from it.

Associate
Edinho said:
Really? Whats a Law then?

Laws and Theories are totally different.

A Law is more related to a consise action, like an observed phenomenon that can be repeated to give the same result each time, which can usually be expressed mathematically.

A Theory is more dynamic and is used to cover a much wider set of principles. Theories attempt to explain a series of phenomenon, and can actually incorporate Laws.

Theories aren't "proven" and then promoted to Law status.

Last edited:
Associate
Trixxy said:
Laws and Theories are totally different.

A Law is more related to a consise action, like an observed phenomenon that can be repeated to give the same result each time, which can usually be expressed mathematically.

A Theory is more dynamic and is used to cover a much wider set of principles. Theories attempt to explain a series of phenomenon, and can actually incorporate Laws.

Theories aren't "proven" and then promoted to Law status.
I would say it is a model, not `just` a theory.

Soldato
thats not really the way evoluton works.

do yourself a favour and actually read a proper textbook and educate yourself - the only thing you'll get from an internet forum is confused opinoins because most people are idiots ;) - no offense guys but its true.

Associate
Jonny69 said:
Yes, that was my point. Since the only the strongest could have survived in the past now the weak can survive. Overall the race is becoming weaker as a result. Take me for example, I'm as blind as a bat, so is my brother, my mother is (only child) and so was her mother. As eyesight generally gets passed to your kids both my kids and my bro's kids will probably have poor eyesight. Back in the past we would have basically been blind folk and probably not gone on to procreate and produce more blind folk. There would be less people with poor eyesight as a result.

True, but on the whole it weakens the species from an evolution point of view. Evolution is there to strengthen the species and weed out the weaker qualities. "Defects" as we see them are genetic variations just there so a species doesn't back itself into a corner, a bit of evolutionary flexibility if you like.
A species fitness is measured in the amount of offspring that survive and go on to produce offspring of their own.
If this happens then that is all that is needed for genetic traits to be passed on.

Someone who has poor eyesight will develop / rely on the other senses or find ways to compensate for this, such as better hearing or sense of touch or posting interesting posts on OCUK ;)

Chavs don`t need to worry about this of course as they don`t need to work and will bonk each other senseless as a means to climb the housing ladder, so more chavs in the future :D

Associate
Intelligent Design theories are utter bull IMHO, it just leaves too much to chance, Evolution, however, is mainly consistant, and the idea that Evolution is present to keep us amused is absurd! How would the world's population be interested in a process too slow to see in a Human lifetime?

Back
Top Bottom