Question about the theory of evolution in here

Soldato
Nitefly said:
Oh and who said 'Evolution and natural selection arn't the same' or something. You are right, but believing natural selection and not evolution is ridiculous as natural selection is the most commonly accepted way of explaining evolution. Without the theory of evolution, there would be no theory of natural selection so that makes no sense.
Yeah that makes sense. If you believe in DNA (and to be honest who doesn't?) then natural selection must occur if genes are passed down to offspring. I guess the question is whether or not mutation has had a significant effect to account for the differences between species.

Man of Honour
Psyk said:
I guess the question is whether or not mutation has had a significant effect to account for the differences between species.
Over hundreds of years, of course it doesn't. But over hundreds of thousands or even hundreds of millions it indeed does.

If we take the whole 'time' period since the first microorganism to present day and made it into a single year, primates would only be around in the last 4 seconds. When you consider the difference from primative primates to humans, that timescale will help put into picture just how long evolution has had to act :)

People seem to be forgetting just how long 3.5 billion years is.

Soldato
Nitefly said:
Over hundreds of years, of course it doesn't. But over hundreds of thousands or even hundreds of millions it indeed does.

If we take the whole 'time' period since the first microorganism to present day and made it into a single year, primates would only be around in the last 4 seconds. When you consider the difference from primative primates to humans, that timescale will help put into picture just how long evolution has had to act :)

People seem to be forgetting just how long 3.5 billion years is.
I agree completely but that seems to be the bit that some people can't accept.

Man of Honour
Psyk said:
I agree completely but that seems to be the bit that some people can't accept.
Ha, I have so many great example of evolution doubts :D

What was a christian explanation that geological rock analysis proved fossils to be millions of years old rather than the traditional several dozen?

... The speed of light used to be faster?! What the hell?! :p
Energize said:
Yes it is.
Lol.... no it isn't?

Associate
Psyk said:
Yeah that makes sense. If you believe in DNA (and to be honest who doesn't?) then natural selection must occur if genes are passed down to offspring. I guess the question is whether or not mutation has had a significant effect to account for the differences between species.
You can work this out yourself :)
Look at the way species have evolved over earths history, do we still swim in the sea ?
Without mutation we still would be :eek:

Those sometimes small changes (mutations) every so often that provides increased fitness will be propagated to sometimes branch off into separate species and for the process to continue to what we have today, the vast amount of species from the very few to start with.

Lucky for us we are at this end of that process that will continue as long as we procreate the old fashioned way :D

Gene therapy etc can have huge impact on this, essentially producing a novel `mutant` of a species like the GM crops that potentially effects the whole food web :eek:

Associate
Spacky said:
Evolution is a religion, you choose to either follow, believe and accept or you don't!

No, No, No sorry don`t buy that ! !

Evolution is a science with proof for those that choose to see, religion is a faith not based on provable evidence ( not looking to offend anyone with that, just an observation ) but on personal feelings.

Soldato
Spacky said:
Evolution is a religion, you choose to either follow, believe and accept or you don't!
It really isn't. I'd say most people who believe in evolution would very quickly change their mind if someone had significant evidence for another explanation. The same can't be said for religious beliefs.

Nobski said:
Look at the way species have evolved over earths history, do we still swim in the sea ?
Without mutation we still would be
Well that is if you accept that we did evolve from such creatures. Many people don't.

Permabanned
Nobski said:
No, No, No sorry don`t buy that ! !

Evolution is a science with proof for those that choose to see, religion is a faith not based on provable evidence ( not looking to offend anyone with that, just an observation ) but on personal feelings.

Point proven, but I don't believe you, can you prove to me evolution is real? Just on the basis some animals look abit similar.

My point is its just more widely accepted, therefore it is considered by some the answer to the way we are all here but its entirely what you believe and what you accepts. Those who aren't religious will believe anything where as those who are believe in something.

It seems to offend many if you say evolution is a religion a misdirected offshoot of science, or to some the foundation of science?

All what you believe :D

Permabanned
Psyk said:
It really isn't. I'd say most people who believe in evolution would very quickly change their mind if someone had significant evidence for another explanation. The same can't be said for religious beliefs.

Well that is if you accept that we did evolve from such creatures. Many people don't.

But faith isn't about seeing then believing? Isn't it about believing and then seeing? :confused:

Man of Honour
Spacky said:
Point proven, but I don't believe you, can you prove to me evolution is real? Just on the basis some animals look abit similar.

My point is its just more widely accepted, therefore it is considered by some the answer to the way we are all here but its entirely what you believe and what you accepts. Those who aren't religious will believe anything where as those who are believe in something.

It seems to offend many if you say evolution is a religion a misdirected offshoot of science, or to some the foundation of science?

All what you believe :D
That reminds me of a philosophy 'arguement' I had...

Him - "Is it a table or a chair?'
Me- "Its quite clearly a chair....?"
Him - "But why isn't it a table?"
Me - "..... you.... your kidding.....?"
Him - Prove to me its a chair!
Me - "... it functions as a chair well because it was designed to be used as one...."
Him - "Ah! *Places glass on it* But now its a TABLE!"
Me - *Pulls out a shotgun and shoots him in the face*

spacky said:
Just on the basis some animals look abit similar.
There is a lot more evidence than that!
Anatomy
Embryology
Palaentology
Biogeography
Taxonomy.... anyone?

Last edited:
Permabanned
Psyk said:
Exactly that's why believing in evolution is nothing to do with having faith.

But people put their faith in evolution that it is the right solution to why we are here in the mindset I don't fully accept it.

Dig Dolph up on intelligent design, I think evolution is a chicken and egg scenario. It can go on for days with no solution just someone getting bored of the same old questions and answers.

Man of Honour
Energize said:
Any reason why you think that?
Evolution occurs via natural selection right?
Natural selection is a process which is affected via innevitable mutations / genetic drift, which ARE RANDOM.

Therefore mutations are factors that will affect the results of natural selection, which is DISTINCTLY non-random.

The random componants have an effect on the distinctly NON-RANDOM process of evolution.

Get it? :)

EDIT - I revised it to make it better....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom