Question: Nvidia 3080 eGPU on MacBook Pro 2017?

Associate
Hi there!

I have a big question bothering me and I thought I could find an answer here

I recently received an unexpected news: I have to go abroad for at least two or three months for work, although I just bought a new pc (via overclockers) with a fantastic Nvidia Asus Tuf 3080. My goal was to properly enjoy videogames, such as Cyberpunk

Now, I have a Macbook Pro 15", 2017 model, 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, 16GB of 2133MHz LPDDR3. This one will travel with me, it's my working laptop.

My question is: if I buy something like a Razer Core and use my 3080 as eGPU with this MacBook, do you think it will be enough to enjoy such videogames in a nice way? Playing at 1440p on an external monitor? Or, given my MacBook specs, is it just a waste of time?

I know I won't be able to unleash the full power of the 3080, nor I'll be able to play at 144hz. I'm just wondering if it's good enough.

Thanks guys, much appreciated

Associate
Anecdotal research suggests that the RTX 2070 performs similarly to the GTX 1650 in an eGPU with a mobile Core I9. In theory I'd expect your 3080 to perform at a level between the 2060 and 2070 (tolerable for 1440p) with the mobile I7 in your Macbook.

Soldato
There is a drop off but it nowhere as bad as that. You typically lose 20-30% of performance but it’s a ridiculously powerful card to start with. It would be fine with a 1440p monitor, I wouldn’t recommend it with a MBP and using the internal screen though it’s very fiddly to set up to get working. As long as you have an external monitor you’ll be good to go!

Back
Top Bottom