Quick and dirty programming language

Associate
Hi i want to learn some basic programming skills, nothing to fancy. I was going to learn visual basic .net. Recently i have been using my linux box a lot more and would like a language that i can use on either a windows system of a linux system.

What would you suggest, i am planning on using the kdevelop enviroment!

Caporegime
anotherF said:
Hi i want to learn some basic programming skills, nothing to fancy. I was going to learn visual basic .net. Recently i have been using my linux box a lot more and would like a language that i can use on either a windows system of a linux system.

What would you suggest, i am planning on using the kdevelop enviroment!

Either Windows or Linux?

Try a scripting language like Perl or PHP.

If you want something much more hardcore, try C, though that is hardly "quick and dirty".

Una

Una

Associate
It realy depends what you wish to code.

Python is a good starting language. Java is a little more complicated but easier than c++ and is also a good one to start with if you wish to learn OO programming.

Associate
I would also back up the python opinion. Windows, Linux and other OS's so fits the bill, also there is a lot on the net if you look for it about the language along with lots of easy to get hold of books. It is quick and dirty in a way but you could still code some quite complicated stuff aswell. There is a lot of development tools out there especially on linux which is helpful :) good luck!!

Associate
PYTHON!!! Batteries are included.

Seriously though. I've done a little programming in python, although a reasonable about in other languages. I just read a few bits on it, then for a problem the otherday I had to do Monte Carlo integration. I couldn't just use something pre-exisiting because we had to show we knew how it worked, so I wrote it in python. Its so quick and easy!

Its fast as well, completed the problem with 10million random numbers in 45 seconds which wasn't bad.

Back
Top Bottom