1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick q. on "daisy-chaining" network

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by frankmcg, 9 Jul 2006.

1. frankmcg

Hitman

Not sure if daisy-chaining is the right word to describe this but -
    I currently have a 1 port modem/router connected to one of the 2 ethernet connections on my Asus A8N-SLI. Can I use the other ethernet connection on the board to connect to another computer ie like a daisy chain, or do I hit problems because they're different types (nvidia and something else)? Obviously want the router and both computers all to be able to see each other.

Thanks

2. Burbleflop

PermaBanned

You could do it that way, but it would be much easier to buy a cheap switch and connect that to your router. Then plug the PCs into the switch.

3. frankmcg

Hitman

OK thanks. Didn't realise such a thing existed, off to google it!

4. Burbleflop

PermaBanned

Anything from http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Switches_Hubs.html will do the trick, but you can probably find a switch cheaper if you look elsewhere.

A hub would also work, but if you're going to the bother of buying, you may as well get a switch for the sake of an extra couple of pounts.

5. frankmcg

Hitman

Hmm, seems to be quite a difference in price between a simple hub and a switch. Will a hub pass through gigabit ethernet or act as a bottleneck?
    Not sure it's worth paying £30 if using both ethernet ports on my main computer will do the job. What do you reckon?

6. tolien

Caporegime

Gigabit hubs don't exist.

7. csmager

Soldato

The switch will be worth it. Without, you have to make sure the PC with two NICs is always on. Not to mention the amount of hassle you'll have bridging the connections - that never seems to go smoothly.

8. frankmcg

Hitman

Both good points. In that case I'll look in to getting a cheapo gigabit switch. Alternatively I could go wireless and buy a new wireless modem/router. Rule of thumb, what sort of speeds could I expect. Fast enough to stream an xvid from one computer to the other?

9. csmager

Soldato

Streaming XviD can be done on wireless - it only needs a few Mb, something Gigabit far exceeds.