Quick question about resetting passwords in vista if forgotton

Soldato
My friends laptop has been handed to me as she reset her password and cannot remember it, she has windows vista basic.

I have tried using ophcrack, i can see the admin account that doesnt have one but for her account it says not found, this is not really good as when vista boots up, she gets to the login screen and cannot select an administrator account (vista has disabled this by the looks).

I have another linux based password recovery disk but i dont think it works with vista.

Anyone know what I could do?

Soldato
OP
which one though? I need a live cd which will work for vista

The thing is the current live boot cd im using, gives descriptions of the user account, and it shows a x next to "password not required"

this tells me that she doesnt need a password to login? however if you leave password blank at windows login and press enter it fails.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
OK, looks like it has cleared her password as now at windows login it doesnt ask for a password, however when i click her name it says "The user profile service service failed the logon, user profile cannot be loaded" at windows login.

This is quite urgent as i need to get the laptop back :(

Soldato
OP
All done.

Vista does my head with its UAC and hiding the admin account...If i buy a laptop with a windows OS on, im the admin, its my laptop, mine!

Back
Top Bottom