1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick raid0 question

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by SameSuspect, 15 Aug 2006.

1. SameSuspect

PermaBanned

To setup raid0, do both of the drives have to be new and unused?

2. gorebrush

Associate

No, but ideally they should be identical

3. semi-pro waster

Man of Honour

gorebrush is right here but I should also mention that you will need to 'build' the array which deletes what is already on the drives and then format them, can I ask why you want a Raid0 setup? From your question I'd surmise(maybe wrongly) that you don't know too much about it at the moment so you might be setting one up when you won't get much benefit.

4. gorebrush

Associate

Yes, just as an example.

I use RAID-0 on a pair of 36Gb Western Digital Raptors, connected to an Adaptec SA1210 SATA PCI Card. When this card is added, it adds a new screen to the POST process of the PC before Windows starts loading.

From there I am offered "Press CTRL-A to enter Adaptec Setup"

(or something similar)

From there I have to go in and build an array as semi pro waster rightly points out. This is so the card knows how to handle both disks, and effectively control them "as one" at a hardware level. When I then run Windows Setup, it then sees this as One Logical Disk, as opposed to two Physical ones.

Do you need to know more about how RAID-0 functions?

5. t31os

Mobster

No.

If you put different drives into an array though, it will be limited by the slower drive of the 2.

6. mattio1980

Gangster

make sure u use the same drives

Last edited: 16 Aug 2006
  7. SiriusB

Capodecina

Using two different drives will probably negate any positive effects of having a RAID0 Array. In other words dont bother unless the disks are the same.

SiriusB