Quiet PSU recommendation

Soldato
The 500 and 600 use the same fan, so the 600 will be noisier. The 430 uses a lower speed fan. I think i'll go for the 500 and do a fan swap if its too bad.

Tried to do a recording but the noise of the transformers in my bench psu buzzing redered it useless. I do have an old psu with a new 80mm nexus fan in it which i can use if i can find somewhere silent.
I'm sure spcr must have done a recording of this at some point tho...

Edit: The nexus fan must be around 17dba at 5v which is the same as the 92mm fan. SPCR says that barely audible.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you ever want to use those silenmaxx enclosures again - slap one of the Hdd blocks on top of it and it'll keep 'em nice and cool without any fans (it'll even work for a nice tropical scsi!)

PSU wise - still the same question - what's the budget, what's the aim?

Soldato
Mark!

I always wanted to slap one of the Asetek ones on mine (I've just been too cheap so far!)
IMG_AL-03-L-9020_22808_0_lrg.jpg

There's also one by Koolance:
svcompucycle_1907_52788617

Both quite restrictive unfortunately, but on the plus side you could drill them straight on top of the Silentmaxx enclosure for silent Scsi action :cool:

If you've got space (and a reall need to mod your case then you could always go for the nice Danger Den ones:
svcompucycle_1907_82912273

They do those in single and double, and since you cut the tube lenghts yourself you can extend them to fit around the enclosure - just have to figure out how to shoehorn them into the case!

And just so this isn't a complete hijack - found this for you - nice little home assembly watercooled PSU (Full site HERE

cc21-done-psu.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Ahha! Now i see what you mean Shane.

I've got an Aquadrive (Aquacool) watercooled HDD Enclosure waiting here for the next time i can make time to refit my PC.

The next upgrade is to PCI-e 939 with an XFX 6800Ultra - i'm going to update the watercooling too, and should really get myself a Northbridge block while i'm at it, as it roasts away at a min of about 50degrees even in cool weather! :eek:

Cheers,

M

*notices that the OPs thread has been totally hijacked* ooops, sorry...

Back
Top Bottom