1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quietest DVD drive?

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by squiffy, 4 May 2006.

1. squiffy

Banned

Suitable for a HTPC, with sim noise level to a DVD-Video player (can only hear spinning 6" away)

I already have a Pioneer 104 DVR, 107 DVR, 108 DVR, 106S DVD-ROM and will be trying each in turn but would like to know of a drive in case these are too loud.

ta

2. id10T_error

PermaBanned

LG make very quite drives

3. Solnyshko

Hitman

Samsung without a doubt (in my experience). They use acoustic damping, & sensibly throttle back to speeds that might not be the fastest on the market but are certainly amongst the quietest (...is that word? ;) )

4. pcoltrane

Hitman

I chose my benq1640 because it is relatively quiet. Of course at full speed any optical drive will be loud, but the benq spins right down to a minimum a few seconds after a dvd starts playing an is inaudible.

You can also make just about any drive quiet by slowing it down with cdbremse (check google)

Marc

5. AWPC

Sgarrista

Make sure you do not get tempted to use a modded firmware to remove riplock (to speed up burning) as this causes most drives to make a lot of noise again as in removing riplock it also removes the features which slow the drive motor down so dvds play quietly!

6. grahamjenks

Hitman

My nec drive (3540 I think) has a drive speed utiltiy (part of nero if I recall) that allows you to specify what speed drives read at - unless you're copyiing from a dvd you dont need the full x48 - you can set it to 1x or 2x for watching dvds and the drive becomes very quiet indeed - certainly can't be heard of my zalman cpu cooler (it being quiet itself).

Obviously if you want quietness during install or running games/burning from dvds etc this wont help.

7. MeatLoaf

Capodecina

My benq 155 is very quiet compared to my plextor 716 which sounds like a helicopter

8. ACESHIGH

Mobster

agree completely

9. MeatLoaf

Capodecina

If going for the samsung, id get the SATA version

10. squiffy

Banned

Any others

11. Unromantic__Me

Gangster

My BenQ is pretty inaudible when burning and playing at normal speed