Quite an odd site - 'Martin Manley: My Life and Death'

Soldato
I suspect he had a form of Autism.... i don't think he is up himself..or if he presents that way i don't think he has self-awareness of it.

Its a bit cold and detached to leave a webpage though (albeit he did post letters and things to people for delivery on the day) why not have a gathering of all his family and friends and he can talk about it?

Not sure if this is a stunt or actually real.

Associate
He seems like a bright chap, but I can't understand suicide simply because you don't wish to grow old. Maybe if you're terminally ill.. But this seems like a selfish thing to do.

I think it's far more selfish to expect someone to go on living just because you want them to.

Being in control of your death is the ultimate **** you to the forces of the world.

Soldato
What's this about?

3) I had no financial problems. I sold my house which was completely paid for in 1998. The same year I bought $30,000 in 1/10 ounce gold coins and pre 1965 silver coins. Gold was $300/ounce when I bought it and silver was $4/ounce. Gold went up to $1,700 and Silver to $44 making my stash worth over $200,000.

38.800542, -94.687884

And, I had other assets, including a 401K. Besides, everyone who knows me knew I was extremely cheap. I wanted for nothing.

I put those coordinates into Google and it came up with this:

http://goo.gl/maps/g2wVE

Has he buried $200k there do you think?

EDIT: Just Googled his name and '$200,000' and found this - http://www.kctv5.com/story/23156247/police-dead-mans-claim-of-200k-coin-buried-at-arborteum-a-hoax

Associate
Sounds like he lived his life productively (worked hard, was known in his field, authored books etc).

Its scary that he ended his life in what appears to be a rational and planned manner.

Capodecina
Soldato
Sounds like he lived his life productively (worked hard, was known in his field, authored books etc).

Its scary that he ended his life in what appears to be a rational and planned manner.

Why scary? He had control over his own death. Suffered no pain. It was his call the whole way.

Soldato
I read through this thread and truly believe, 98% of people posting didn't read any of that web site,

I read most of it, and what came across was a kind caring man, who done the 'decent thing' in his mind,

I actually feel happiness for him, he chose his ending, and shared it with us, to try and understand.

I understand totally, and understood his point

RIP

Associate
Why scary, will you also find it scary when Terry Pratchett takes his own life in the manner he has repeatedly said he will?.

I can relate to Pratchett because I'm intimately familiar with what it is like to lose control, and not have a choice with fundamental aspects of my life.

I don't know what I'd do if my situation arises again. Right now I have no desire to die, but if I lose control, a quicker death at my choosing may be my decision.

I find it scary simply because I can't relate to Manley (and that's my fault, no disrespect to him).

I'll be joyous to live past 60.

Man of Honour
I'm a bit drunk so not read all of it. But I have read some and contrary to what most people in this thread feel, I can understand why he took this option. I always said when I was young that if I were to push the exit button then it would be when I was happy and not when I was sad.

Hopefully I won't be at that point for many a decade yet :)

Soldato
I read through this thread and truly believe, 98% of people posting didn't read any of that web site,

Do not assume that if others read the whole website that they'll all come to the same conclusion as you. I too took some time out and read most of it as well and came to another conclusion. Sure he comes across as a caring guy,

of course we only have his word for it and although he might have thought he was ok others around him could have been suffering from his behaviour. But it's blatantly obvious that he head was wired all wrong from a very early age and those thoughts of suicide plagued him all his life. He clearly suffered from a mental illness

Back
Top Bottom