1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAC roadside assistance, cheap computer check?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Ultra_Extreme, 31 May 2006.

1. Ultra_Extreme

Perma Banned

As some of u know, ive got problems with the 306 that are likely computer related.

Local Pug dealer wants £30 for the computer error code check.....no problem. Then 58.95 p/h +VAT labour! Expect 3+ hours too!!!!

So my dad suggested 'breaking down' and calling out RAC under his cover as a passenger. They now carry all the diagnostic kit for ECU's, at least according to their flyers etc.

Anyone see a problem with this as a quick free assesment?

2. ci_newman

Sgarrista

Alternatively you can buy an error code checker for £15 and plug it in yourself...

3. Nathan

Mobster

Not sure if you can buy a code reader for certain models. I know the GTI-6 you deffo cant and have to get it read professionally or buy a £3500 snapon reader :p

4. Ultra_Extreme

Perma Banned

was fairy sure the adapter was a few thousand's tbh

5. ste_bla

Sgarrista

3 hours?

When I had a engine problem with my old fiat it took 15 minutes to do..

6. djbenjo

Mobster

Ask them to just check the code and then take it to somewhere that charges a more reasonable amount?

You can get the older style SnapOn code readers for about £1,500 now the new fangled all singing all dancing one is out :) But you wil also need the Pods which cost a fair few bob too :p