Rachel Riley - political commentator.

Caporegime
I don't think it's likely to offend many of the demographic of this place, but it doesn't do anything to disprove that techie blokes are a bunch of misogynists :p

Hmm. Maybe we are (collectively).

Caporegime
What’s it got to do with ‘lefties’ over uncouth comments about a woman who should be naked and mute?

Dare you to tweet Riley right now with that lovely phrase.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
It’s a joke. That’s Diddums sense of humour and many of us appreciate it.

Does everything these days have to be 100% politically correct?
Can I sit on the fence a bit here, and also play devil's advocate...

Not many of us were offended by Diddum's utterance. But we didn't all find it funny either.

Q: Why would we find it funny? Does finding it funny say something about us? I'm not implying it does, because then I'd be coming off the fence, and it's lovely and comfortable.

It's clearly not something we'd say to her face, or a joke we'd make about our mothers.

So why's it funny? Is it funny as an exercise in rejecting PC? Is the joke itself hilarious? It's not the most clever joke I've ever read, I don't think :p

Soldato
Omg who the hell cares about any of this :p

No one :p It didn't take many posts before we all forgot what the OP said and now it's a discussion about whether or not we can say what we like anymore :p

So... classic OcUK really :p

Caporegime
Yeah I'm just killing time before football, where I can truly get my testosterone on whist taking a lot of balls to the face. If only I didn't suck so much, I'd be more skilled with my hands.

Caporegime
Corbyn got an egg thrown at him. Owen Jones has been deploring such violence and Rachel Riley out of nowhere decided to wade in and hoist him on his petard a little. Jones is now throwing all kinds of hissy fits at her on Twitter right now. :D

Brilliant, it isn't completely out of nowhere though - she's Jewish, she's commented Labour's antisemitism issue before and has since been abused a lot by Corbyn supporters as a result... so not too surprising that she'd get a little dig in like this :D

Soldato
Can I sit on the fence a bit here, and also play devil's advocate...

Not many of us were offended by Diddum's utterance. But we didn't all find it funny either.

Q: Why would we find it funny? Does finding it funny say something about us? I'm not implying it does, because then I'd be coming off the fence, and it's lovely and comfortable.

It's clearly not something we'd say to her face, or a joke we'd make about our mothers.

So why's it funny? Is it funny as an exercise in rejecting PC? Is the joke itself hilarious? It's not the most clever joke I've ever read, I don't think :p
Do you not find any of Harry Enfield's Cholmondley-Warner sketches funny by any chance?

Or something like this?

Why would we find it funny? Does finding it funny say something about us?

Also what kind of question is this? Different people find different things funny. I would have thought someone old enough to post things on this forum would have realised this a long time ago.

Last edited:
Soldato
I may have misunderstood this, but wasn't it the case that the original tweet by Owen Jones was an old tweet referring to Nick Griffin? Hence all the uproar because Riley is therefore indirectly comparing Corbyn to Griffin.

I thought that was what it was all about but I may be wrong, these twitter feeds move so fast!

I think that is what it was about. James Cleverly was on Politics Live earlier when he was asked about it. Of course Politics Live purposely didn't show the whole twitter thread just to confuse things.

The point that was being made is that Owen is an hypocrit after he condemns throwing eggs at Corbyn but was perfectly fine with an egg being thrown at Nick Griffin i.e. Owen is inconsistant. If he likes you he will condemn it, if not he will applaud it.

Caporegime
That twitter thread tho... Owen Jones is frothing uncontrollably and various Corbyn supporters are venting their outrage that someone could merely flip around the same statement they were happy to make :D

Man of Honour
Brilliant, it isn't completely out of nowhere though - she's Jewish, she's commented Labour's antisemitism issue before and has since been abused a lot by Corbyn supporters as a result... so not too surprising that she'd get a little dig in like this :D

This is why I find it unlikely to have been coincidence.

That twitter thread tho... Owen Jones is frothing uncontrollably and various Corbyn supporters are venting their outrage that someone could merely flip around the same statement they were happy to make :D

Funny how they don't like it when the boot is on the other foot.

Caporegime
Do you not find any of Harry Enfield's Cholmondley-Warner sketches funny by any chance?

Or something like this?

Do you think the purpose of the sketch you quoted was to mock women or to mock the (exaggerated) opinions of those times?

I'm not a Harry Enfield fan, but what I personally find funny isn't really the subject of the question I asked; which was what makes Diddums "shut up and get naked" comment funny in the minds of those who do find it funny.

Also whether it's only funny in the company of a largely male audience.

But you'll note I wasn't actually making any claim one way or the other about the jokes alleged offensiveness.

Soldato
Do you think the purpose of the sketch you quoted was to mock women or to mock the (exaggerated) opinions of those times?

I'm not a Harry Enfield fan, but what I personally find funny isn't really the subject of the question I asked; which was what makes Diddums "shut up and get naked" comment funny in the minds of those who do find it funny.

Also whether it's only funny in the company of a largely male audience.

But you'll note I wasn't actually making any claim one way or the other about the jokes alleged offensiveness.
You can't see the parallel between what Diddums said and the sketch?

It's obvious what the sketch is trying to do.

Back
Top Bottom