1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racism and You.

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Mr Jones, 25 Jul 2006.

1. theleg

Capodecina

Incidentally, ive had girls im with be called filthy whores because they were with a white guy....Almost got into several fights because of it...

Every time it was a korean american guy :o

2. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

Having seen you in person, I would suggest that anyone stupid enough to drop someone as gorgeous as yourself becasue their parents said 'no' would be a seriously liability, and you are most likely way better off without him.

Last edited: 26 Jul 2006
  3. Von Smallhausen

Man of Honour

:) * endorsed *

4. Mr Jones

Capodecina

I'm alright really, been used to it I suppose. I'm in Portsmouth, cycling here is okay-ish - just remember to lock them (remember man who cycled around the world got his bike stolen in Portsmouth?)

Abused for being a cyclist is rare for me, I've been cycling for years to work and Uni - only because I cycling faster than most and am rather cautious.

But I can get random abuse from Yobs whilst walking through parks - I usually ignore them, MP3 players are the best. It's funny how some kids can come up to you and make fun of the language I speak but they usually hush up or give me an "eh?" look when I say "Have you eaten your breakfast, little imp"?

I seriously need to make a T-Shirt that says, "Singaporean! - Not Chink."

5. Gilly

Man of Honour

:eek:

6. Fop

Gangster

"Multiculturalism" in modern Britain is a myth.

What we actually mostly have these days is "Mutli-monoculturalism", which is a quite different thing altogether.

True multiculturalism is a rare thing to find indeed.

7. Mr Jones

Capodecina

Not to brag about my country but Singapore is "Multicultured" and everyone (or at least 9 out of 10 Singaporeans) is racial tolerant and eventhough over 70% is ethnically chinese, we live together in harmony with malays, indian and others - well, at least since my generation.

The key is Education.
    We have "Good Citizen" lessons since primary school (for 6 years) educating everyone of other races' tradition and culture - reasons and wonders. Moral lessons are also thought together in this subject.

This probably helped a heck of a lot to racial harmony.

Last edited: 26 Jul 2006
  8. Liefrich

Wise Guy

Singapore also have a very authoritarian government, which i guess helps to stamp down on any trouble.

I must admit though when i did holiday there i thoroughly enjoyed it!

9. Fr0dders

Caporegime

tbh tho some1 like that is going to insult you for any reason he can find

if hes not going to insult your skin colour, he'll insult you for being overweight, ginger etc..

theres all sorts of discrimination that goes on , that people dont get worked up by, as much as racial discrimination.

10. Mujja

Mobster

I've lived here for 8 yrs and only ever had someone shout racist abuse once at me from a passing car. I was waiting at a bus stop on London Road late in the eve so I guess I was asking for it.

My wife has had a few incidents, and no she doesn't dress asian or wear a headscarf etc. The most recent one was when she was out with our 4yr old. We had to try and explain to her later why that nasty lady was shouting at mummy.

I feel as english as the next person but it's sad that you always have to remember not everyone feels the same. Whenever I'm out late I will ALWAYS get a taxi home, even if it's a 10 min walk (nothing to do with the fact that I've had too much to drink ;)). Anyone is at risk of attack when out late but I just feel the risk is just that bit higher if you're not white, or the reverse if you're in a black/asian area.

It's just a small minority though and when it happens you shouldn't think about it too much.

Last edited: 27 Jul 2006
  11. yak.h'cir

Mobster

I work at a local language school where hundreds of students visit every week to learn English. Most of them are european and outwardly look local, but they all have strong accents so you know they're international.

I can tell you from my time spent with them that you are most certainly not alone in getting abuse. Every day/evening I spend time with them I see them getting abuse, and there's never any reasoning with them. We've had everything from Hitler style saluts (to students of any country, its not limited to Germans) to full blown assults. Purely because the student wasn't local.

Worst thing is that nothing ever gets done about it. We take the students to the local police station and they look through all the mugshots but I've never heard of anyone being sucessfully picked out. I guess because most of the culprits have no convictions. What I want to know is why can't we just get the photos of all the students from the local schools, it's a near certaintity that it'll be one of them responsible!

12. BrightonBelle

Woman of Honour

In Portsmouth?! God bit shocked there..., though maybe I shouldn't be as living in London you are surrounded by lots of different races and verbal abuse probably isn't as widespread as maybe in the parts of the country where there are more caucasian people :)

CBS and Von thanks for your replies ;) much appreciated!

BB x

PS Dr Jones - I will be seeing Muse on 21/11 at Wembley too! :D

13. DreXeL

Man of Honour

Sorry to be a bit GD, but PICS TBQFH!!!!LOL111one

:o

Anyway back on topic....

The amount of casual racism in my place of work constantly astounds me :(

14. Gilly

Man of Honour

Mine and mine only, back off bub ;)

15. Rotty

Don

was fairly sure I'd worked that one out but didn't want to say :D

16. DreXeL

Man of Honour

/backs away

:D

17. BrightonBelle

Woman of Honour

Not many people who can post what I have and get away with it ;) (well till he posts what makes you think you got away with it? Yeah I know thats what you are thinking!)

Sorry mate but I am on RG... well I was anyway... might not be now ;)

BB x

18. Mr Jones

Capodecina

Yeah! Will look out for a half chinese looking person then.
    Anyway, casual racism - how is that possible?

"Yo, chink!" eh?

Also, people say London is more "receptive" of people from other racial background... so have people said about Portsmouth - especially when student population here is on a high - Park Building is swarming with Chinese even I am afraid to walk into, might think I'm back Homeland.

19. Gilly

Man of Honour

People don't think anything of it, so hit up the various differences between them with no qualms.

Ey up fatty
    Bloody ell, you're blinding me with the reflection off your head!
    Nah then skinny boy (we actually call him pipe-cleaner boy)

If there was a (insert racial stereotype here) in our office then it'd probably come under the header of casual insult and nothing was meant by it. Obviously it depends on the person.

20. wassap

PermaBanned

For me personally i couldnt give a flying fig about someone passing shouting abuse at me, they are idiots, i know in myself im a better person than them, so why give them the satisfaction of a reaction?

Even at work, if racism exists, take it all in your stride and laugh it off, if you let these kind of people know that you are bothered by this kind of stuff then will keep on at you.

If you ever came into my office you would be well shocked at the abuse that flies about, generally its me and another guy throwing the insults, sometimes its racial, but its all light hearted banter, and we know our limits.But i know the receptionist and another of the older guys are right racists (the receptionist is actually greek :o) but to your face they are all sweetness, these are the people im wary, im not bothered about the in your face insults more the hidden feeling (i get the feeling you get alot of those people on this forum sadly :()

You have to learn to cope with these things imo, it makes yu a better person for it