1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racism and You.

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Mr Jones, 25 Jul 2006.

1. ironman

Sgarrista

I agree with wohoo's sentiments. I used to get slurs directed towards me alot when I was younger, sometimes i'd be walking through the middle of town and be called stuff. It got to a stage where I got used to it not to affect me. However since getting older I haven't received it nowhere near as much as I used to, simply because i'm alot bigger than the average guy and can look pretty scary looking at times:p It gives me peace and if having an intimidating appearance helps than so be it:D

2. theleg

Capodecina

Dont worry mate, ill still call you a darkie when i see ya :D

3. ironman

Sgarrista

Yeah whenever that will be mate...and i'm not coming to letchworth or s.korea! :D

4. zenith10

Wise Guy

im a white british male and have received a bit of racial abuse

5. Mr Jones

Capodecina

Care to share?
    Any chance you're a Scottsman in England?

6. Fop

Gangster

He might be meaning in specific areas, (which kinda goes back to the multi-monoculture thing – in fact in the UK the fastest rising issue of racial abuse and racial violence is currently in regard to those of west Asian vs African decent. Which just goes to show it's a human issue, not an issue of how much melanin you are genetically programmed to produce :().

It’s a universally bad side to human nature, I know a friend of mine not only got a lot of abuse, but also was even shot at because of his skin colour when he worked in Ghana.

The fact is with humanity even where there isn’t a barrier we’ll probably try to invent one.

7. Alasdair

Wise Guy

First of all, I'm white and Scottish.

When I used to work for a pan-European call centre provider (in Edinburgh) about 20% of the entire workforce was Scottish. I was one of the minority who wasn't bilingual (or more), we supported every major European language. It was amazing just how many English people didn't like speaking to non-English people. Even making jokes about me being Scottish, calling me Jock and so on, it wasn't a rare occurrence. I must stress that this was not the majority of English people, just that the majority of the comments came from English people.
    We also had perhaps an above average proportion of gay people working there, I'm honestly unsure why this was. Perhaps it was due to the open environment, people were more likely to be themselves if they saw it free of prejudice and completely tolerant to all cultures and lifestyles.

My current workplace is 95% Scottish, and I'd say that racism and general bigotry is more apparent here than in my old place. Of an area of 60 people, 2 are non-white, and maybe another two non-Scottish. This place is far less open to other lifestyles, there's not one gay person that I know of. In fact, being accused of being gay is perhaps the worst thing that can be said to some people. People were visibly shocked today when I said that I regularly go to gay clubs (I'm straight), I just go there for the music and the tolerant attitudes.

The point that I'm (eventually) getting to, is that people can appear to be bigoted based on their lack of experience of other cultures and lifestyles. I think that it's a fear of the unknown that drives it. In my case at work, it's homosexuality, but racism is also another driver. I think that a lot of problems could be prevented by having a better understanding of other cultures.

I went to a birthday party for my mate's son recently. My mate is African, born in Miami, brought up in Germany. Definitely one of the best parties I've ever been to, despite me initially feeling a bit uneasy as we were the only white people present. This was perhaps a natural prejudice on my part, through lack of knowledge and understanding, but once the ice was broken it was great. I don't tolerate racism, but I can see where people get a lack of understanding from.

al

8. Tommy B

Sgarrista

If someone is racist towards me, I don't care, I move on. The fact is that the people being racist are the morons.

I only wish all these "human rights/pc correct" nonces would do the same.