Rad pos and fan directions for Lian Li pc011 Dynamic build?

Associate
What layout for watercooling rads with this case?

I've recieved my case and am mocking up my Pc-011 dynamic build and would welcome input on one area. (fyi both the CPU and the GPU are watercooled and are in one loop on my current pc build.)

I have 2 x 360mm radiators (EKWB XE 60mm and Alphacool Xt45)

I propose the 60mm in the roof with one set of fans, 45mm in floor and I can if I want fit push pull. Side fans with no radiator.

I was initially going to have the floor rad/fans intake, side fans intake all exhausting through the roof radiator but this means the roof radiator is seeing case air not room air. The other option is both roof radiator and floor radiator as intake and the side 3x120mm as exhaust but I can see a heck of a turbulence in the case. What did you guys go for in the end?

Thx

Associate
@Steven_RW - In the absence of you getting any other replies, I am very much a newbie at water cooling, but will tell you what I am doing :D

I've got a XSPC TX360 radiator, which is 20mm thick. That should (according to the Lian-Li PC-O11D details) allow me to fit standard 25mm fans and the radiator in the side section. I intend to do that with fans as a push config - the fans will be Noctua NF-F12s.

I intend to eventually add another radiator to the system, which will likely go in the roof. I intend to go push config there, haven't decided what radiator to use yet.

Finally, I plan on just putting some 120mm fans in the floor of the case, without a radiator, just bringing in air.

Not sure if this is a good plan or not! :D:D:D:D

Associate
This was going to be my plan with a build I was going to do in the PC-011 (although with the new from CES 2019 i'll be purchasing the ROG version of the PC-011).

My plan was to fit a 30mm Bitspower radiator to the side in push, and a thicker bitspower radiator in the roof in pull with fans in the bottom on their own.

I was initially going to have the floor rad/fans intake, side fans intake all exhausting through the roof radiator but this means the roof radiator is seeing case air not room air. The other option is both roof radiator and floor radiator as intake and the side 3x120mm as exhaust but I can see a heck of a turbulence in the case. What did you guys go for in the end?

regarding this, I'm not sure how much different switching the radiators to be intake/exhaust will effect temperature? If you intake with both radiators that's a lot of hot air in your PC so other components that aren't cooled by a block like motherboard, ram etc won't receive much cooling. Your original idea of having one radiator as an exhaust and one as a intake will create more of a balance for your other components in the build.

That's my opinion anyway!

Soldato
I have 3x360mm radiators. Bottom and side are only thin due to space. The top is 37mm so I could comfortably run a tube behind the tray and through the grommet. Any thicker than 37mm and there would be too much stress on the fitting I think.

Same with the side radiator. 37mm would fit but the door would not go on.

I have intake in the bottom and exhaust top and side. I think this way there isn’t too much heat build up in the case.

Here’s my pc01 wgx rog edition, not a dynamic but an almost identicle case otherwise.

KDvPdVk.jpg

Associate
I've thought about purchasing that case too @tyler_jrb can you answer a few questions for me? Sorry to hijack the thread!

I'm gonna put a rad as a side intake so I wondered what is the size of the gap between the top rad and that side intake? I plan on putting the fans motherboard side, and the radiator will be PSU side!

Soldato
Generally speaking, fan placement/direction won't make a HUGE difference regards temps, but it can impact dust collection and where this accumulates. And over time, that will impact temps more.

Associate
currently I have a Lian Li PC011 Dynamic with a slim 360mm EKWB (for the cpu) in the roof. and fans bottom and side to bring in cool air.

I want to get a GPU block and add another radiator.

question: if I place the 2nd radiator in the side or bottom then all the heat that it is removing will be expelled into the case and then the warm case air will go through a heat up the top radiator. Basically I cant see the point of adding a 2nd radiator as the net effect will be zero! Does this make sense as I see many pictures of multiple radiator set ups.

Associate
or I could move my 360mm rad to the floor of the case but then all the cpu heat that it is expelling will be blasted up into my air cooled graphics card (until I get a gpu waterblock) - again this sounds stupid.

Associate
That's quite a necro thread there...

To answer your question though:
Thermal transfer actually gains efficiency as the temperature goes up, so the higher the coolant temps, the more energy a given rad can remove as the fluid travels through it if all other factors remain the same. Obviously you don't want to push things too far with it but 2 rads in series isn't actually the worst thing in the world.

If you chuck a rad in the bottom and still have fresh air intake on the side to feed your top rad you'll still see plenty of benefit with that second rad.

Back
Top Bottom