Radeon 6770 eBay return - damaged by overclocking?

Associate
Hi. I have sold on ebay my old gpu Radeon 6770 1gb from asus. After one week I have a refund request. Reason provided: I see fluorescent textures at intermittent time when playing games. I think it is damaged.

How can I check if it wasn't his fault? Ask for some free software diagnostics report? Could this happen by overclocking? It was working fine for me and I didn't overclock it. Please help.

Associate
Could be a scam like skyripper said, I’d try to resist accepting a return or giving a refund but eBay always sides with the buyer so you might be a bit stuck.

I’m assuming this is across multiple games and not just one?

Don
How can I check if it wasn't his fault? Ask for some free software diagnostics report? Could this happen by overclocking?

You can't prove it was his fault or even down to overclocking - could be something honest such as the cooler coming lose in transit?
Did you do any kind of stress testing / benchmarking of the card before you shipped it?

Don
I did run benchmarks. Not sure if I still have screenshots though. It was well secured on transport.

Screenshots don't prove anything though if it's only happening after a few hours of gaming for example. Ideally before sending out you would have run a continuous loop of 3dmark or Heaven for an hour or two to check for issues.

Presumably you took pictures of the card serial number before despatch to prevent the card being switched.

Personally think it's extremely unlikely to be someone scamming (or indeed overclocking) what is now an 8 year old card worth about £20 - it could well be a genuine problem e.g. damaged during transit, user problem e.g. wrong drivers or need clean install, or it could be an actual hardware problem that you didn't encounter due to insufficient testing/or different usage.

Don
If you are 100% happy that it wasn't faulty when you despatched it (i.e. that you did stress test it for over an hour etc, and tried it on games similar to those the buyer is having issues with) then I would try to work with the buyer first (assuming they seem relatively competent), ask them to test in another PC, clean reinstall drivers using DDU first etc. Check the cooler is secure, fan spinning correctly and monitor temperature in GPU-Z etc.

If there is any doubt that it may have been faulty when you shipped it (e.g. because it hadn't been used for 6 months or maybe not stress tested for long enough) then accept a return, and chalk it up as a lesson learned.
Any issues and you have at least got proof if they do try to return a different card.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom