• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII

Associate
So basically the latest decent card AMD made out of the box was what? 7950 or something?

290 - hot and loud
Fiji - rubbish
Polaris - issues with powerdraw over pcie lane, took a while to get performance up to par
Vega - Overpriced, underperforming, excessive powerdraw, took a while to get performance up to par.

And now this.... we have 25% perf increase over the V64 @ 1440p or 32% @ 4K for another £250 ontop, thats more than 50% of the price for less than 35% performance... And this is on 7nm, AMD are still not able to beat Nvidias last gen stuff, on any meaningful factor (price, performance, power consumption etc).

People will point out that putting 16GB of HBM on was the mistake, yada yada, these are failed Enterprise cards rebadged as gaming cards, the GPU Die with HBM Stack is built like this, and if it fails this is what they have done with them. AMD cant even make GDDR on this package, they'd have to completely redesign the whole GPU package.

I think the evolution of AMD cards had 2 tracks, one was Fiji > Vega > V7 which is the HBM track the other was the 290 > Polaris track where they used GDDR... i dont even think the Fiji > Vega stuff will even work on GDDR without a drastic overhaul, pretty sure that particular track of GPU was designed ground up with HBM in mind. And to be honest this latest iteration confirms my suspicions.

AMD would be better off not even trying to fight the 1080ti / 2080 / 2080ti market, should just aim as high as the 2070 as a max, and try and do it with GDDR only cards, adding HBM just adds more price and really seems to kill performance. Probably another reason NVidia hasnt bothered either.

OcUK Staff
Warehouse reaction to the orders coming off the printer they have to pick, pack and ship before cut off!

AmbitiousMediumFrillneckedlizard-small.gif

Press F to pay respects...

Caporegime
I find that hard to believe, I was stood next to three of them at CES in cases and of course there was ambient noise from other people but I could not hear the cards or systems and they were running some kind of demo.

If it really was 51dB under load (compared to 43) then you really would hear it I think. Is that Delta fan level? :D

Caporegime
I find that hard to believe, I was stood next to three of them at CES in cases and of course there was ambient noise from other people but I could not hear the cards or systems and they were running some kind of demo.

They could have left it throttling to hell.
A V64 out the box will be "quiet" but it's throttled to hell and back.

Back
Top Bottom