• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII

Caporegime
Makes me wonder why they disabled some of the cores, if it's mainly a die shrink with added memory I would have expected it to keep the same core count.

Caporegime
I dont understand... why is it priced at 699?... They have just priced themselves out of the market and Nvidia still reign supreme...

Only thing Nvidia currently reign supreme at is the £1k plus market, coupled with retro space invaders included for some cards. :p

bru

bru

Soldato
IMO real world performance of this in some titles will match or exceed the 2080Ti / Titan. Namely ones which either do or can lean very heavily on compute based rendering.

Vega 64 is pretty much neck and neck with a 2080 in PubG & Blackout once you fix the voltages, which both do the above. Also doubt it'll be behind in iDTech.

Also, remember that is the tangent NVIDIA sponsored games are taking now, since the 20xx series cards finally caught up with AMD on compute based rendering, and left their own old cards in the dust.

If some samples can really OC from stock 1.8Ghz to 2.4Ghz, there's going to be a huge secondary market for high clocking samples. Performance ought to be higher than anything else out there.

Let's hope they have serious volume ... though I fear, again, HBM2 / interposers will limit supply. If they do, then NVIDIA have no choice but to make large price cuts.

Meanwhile in this reality.:D

Its way to early to tell just how this is all going to pan out yet.

Soldato
I get the feeling that all the cards we're seeing now were developed during the mining craze and aimed more at coin mining than gaming. I'll be sitting this generation out completely.
Because having quadruple the required VRAM instead of double the required VRAM and costing twice as much would be a massive selling point over Vega if mining was still strong :p

Caporegime
I dont understand... why is it priced at 699?... They have just priced themselves out of the market and Nvidia still reign supreme...

16GB of HBM2 is expensive
Interposed is expensive
7nm process is expensive.

And being a salvage part of the MI60 Instinct, there won't be a huge supply so pricing it high limits demand

Soldato
16gb HBM HYYYYYYYYYYPE

Crossfire a pair for some "budget" 8K, previously you had to go for RTX Titan. I love this!!

Not quite ready for TVs yet (though neither are they), but great for some super-sampling action.

Caporegime
Makes me wonder why they disabled some of the cores, if it's mainly a die shrink with added memory I would have expected it to keep the same core count.

It is a salvage part. Any vega20 chips that don't make it to be the Instinct part get repackaged as vega7

Soldato
It's priced against the equivalent Nvidia card, the sweetner for the deal is having double the VRAM (instead of the same but lower price).
But none of us gamers will use more that 10gb of RAM... seems like they just shoved in extra RAM so they could increase the price...

Associate
But none of us gamers will use more that 10gb of RAM... seems like they just shoved in extra RAM so they could increase the price...

I believe that they had to double the memory to double the bandwidth. We know vega 64 responds very well to memory overclocks, more so than core overclocks, it's probably needed to get the extra performance rather than with the expectation the memory will get full during gaming.

Caporegime
Imagine how much the custom cards are gona be, especially the Anus :p

The ref cooler looks good and it seems to have some venting in it, something Nvidia didn't bother with for their Fe cooler. A few months back people were basically saying if amd had a 1080ti performance card they would buy it, well they got their wish. If it's 2080 performance it's a bit over 1080ti performance.

Price imo is around £50 too much though.

Caporegime

The problem is with HBM it is even harder to use arbitrary vram sizes. An 8GB version would have half the bandwidth. With 2 stacks of HBM you are stuck with 8 or 16GB given current supplies.

I expect there is also a side effect of this being a salvage part from the Instinct gpu. Those have 16GB. It may be the binning for these gaming cards is after the expensive and complex mounting of you and HBM on interposer. At which point you can't change the memory.

Caporegime
The ref cooler looks good and it seems to have some venting in it, something Nvidia didn't bother with for their Fe cooler. A few months back people were basically saying if amd had a 1080ti performance card they would buy it, well they got their wish. If it's 2080 performance it's a bit over 1080ti performance.

Price imo is around £50 too much though.

People wanted that 2 years ago, not today.

Associate
Interesting thing is that Navi is still supposed to be late 2019 according to their roadmaps. So this will AMD's top dog for a much shorter period than any other recent card.

Back
Top Bottom