• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII

Soldato
Hmmm Nvidia cards are overpriced, so why not match that price with a Vega 2 and make the Nvidia card look better. I think Radeon are being paid by Nvidia, or ‘some individual’ definitely is.

Soldato
Might want to reference some posts back when rtx series launched. Had plenty on here going on about it.

If it's as fast as the 2080 then that only places the ludicrously priced 2080ti above it.

You're all assuming DLSS doesn't take off. If DLSS comes out as planned, then this card is utterly pointless at this price, as the 2080 will be significantly better.

Associate
Interesting thing is that Navi is still supposed to be late 2019 according to their roadmaps. So this will AMD's top dog for a much shorter period than any other recent card.

According to the AdoredTv leak the Navi card was Vega 64 +15%. That puts it quite a bit behind this card. Looks more like Navi is a Polaris replacement.

Caporegime
You're all assuming DLSS doesn't take off. If DLSS comes out as planned, then this card is utterly pointless at this price, as the 2080 will be significantly better.

Rtx has been out since December and no games as yet have dlss support. It will come at some point but on a per game basis assuming the Devs can be arsed to update the game with it applied. Right now I'd prefer out of the box performance rather than maybes or possiblys at some obscure future date

Caporegime
Progress is progress and any competition is good competition.
AMD have made any progress though. They caught up with where Nvidia was 2 years ago, and needed a whole new 7nm node to do that, and it is only economical for them since Vega7 is a salvage part of a chip that sells for $4-5k

Soldato

Personally I think Vega 7 is pointless already.

It's priced too high.

Again, I could buy a 2080 for probably the same price (or maybe cheaper) than what the V7 will be.

Why, oh why (unless I was a rabid fanboy) would I buy this over a 2080?

Soldato
Rtx has been out since December and no games as yet have dlss support. It will come at some point but on a per game basis assuming the Devs can be arsed to update the game with it applied.

Which they are doing. We already have 2 "top" titles with support coming in the next few weeks. Like I said, *IF* it takes off, then DLSS puts the 2080 significantly ahead of the new AMD cards. RTX is not DLSS, and is nothing to do with my point.

Caporegime
AMD have made any progress though. They caught up with where Nvidia was 2 years ago, and needed a whole new 7nm node to do that, and it is only economical for them since Vega7 is a salvage part of a chip that sells for $4-5k

This would be the same card you were so adamant wasn't coming for gaming not but a few weeks ago?

Soldato

How have they made no progression when now they can compete very close to the top when they couldn't 3 months ago?

Caporegime
Which they are doing. We already have 2 "top" titles with support coming in the next few weeks. Like I said, *IF* it takes off, then DLSS puts the 2080 significantly ahead of the new AMD cards. RTX is not DLSS, and is nothing to do with my point.

The cards that support dlss are named rtx last I checked.

Caporegime
I fail to see how or why that matters in the context of my post? RTX and DLSS are separate features, and a game does not have to support RTX to have DLSS. DLSS will *increase* performance, RTX will not.

And when I mentioned rtx I was obvious referring to the rtx series of GPUs,. Not the ray tracing feature.

Associate

It has yet to be demonstrated to actually work.

Also, it's softwarem, and software that needs to be specifically implemented in the game engine. It's not a specific hardware feature.

If AMD write software, they can do it too.

Personally I think Vega 7 is pointless already.

It's priced too high.

Again, I could buy a 2080 for probably the same price (or maybe cheaper) than what the V7 will be.

Why, oh why (unless I was a rabid fanboy) would I buy this over a 2080?

It should be competitive in most, and much faster in a few.

Likely if you're doing any rendering or GPGPU stuff it will leave everything except the Volta SKUs in the dust.

Back
Top Bottom