1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radeon X800 GPU temperature query

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by CurlyWhirly, 15 Jan 2006.

1. CurlyWhirly

Wise Guy

As an experiment I ran the ATI Tool from http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/ and I was quite alarmed to learn that after only around 2 minutes my GPU temperature would hover around the 70c mark :eek:

When I overclocked it (slightly), the GPU temperature went up to 75c even though I suffered no lock-ups or BSOD's.

Are GPU's designed to run hotter than CPU's then?
    I searched the web for info on my R420 GPU but although I could quite easily get technical data on number of pixel pipelines, core and memory speeds, etc. I could find nothing on maximum core temperature!

When I am not doing any graphic intensive work like playing games or running the 3DMark 05 benchmark, the GPU temperature drops down to around 43c and stays there.

I had no idea that my GPU temperature was that high as before I tried out the ATI Tool, I had no way of knowing what my GPU temperature actually was.

Am I worrying about nothing or should I, in fact, be concerned?

Last edited: 15 Jan 2006
  2. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

It is a bit on the high side, but GPU's do run way hotter than CPU's, as long as its not getting up to and over 100 then it should be fine. :)

3. CurlyWhirly

Wise Guy

Thanks LoadsaMoney, that has put my mind at rest.

I don't think I'll bother overclocking it now as it gets hot enough at default speed!

4. gazzaa

Wise Guy

my x800xl runs @ enviroment 38 and gpu 34

5. CurlyWhirly

Wise Guy

GPU 34, that's low!

I wonder whether that ATI Tool pushes your graphics card more than it would in real life like while running a game for instance?

You have the Platinum Edition and your GPU temperature is lower than mine while idle.
    Do you use any additional cooling?
    Just curious.

6. Mul

Wise Guy

My Plain and Simple X800 256mb DDR3 touched 70*c ish fully loaded. Nothing wrong with that temperature, but I did buy a Zalman VF700 which took it down to about 55 load :)

Mul

7. gazzaa

Wise Guy

just played avp2 and mine went to gpu 53

8. CurlyWhirly

Wise Guy

That's cooler than mine!

So my 70c is normal then?
    I think I will also invest in a better cooling system like the Zalman as I have heard good comments about it.

When running the ATI Tool I also noticed that the GPU fan speed goes up as the core temperature rises, so it seems pretty safe as even at 75c (while overclocked) the fan speed was only on 54%.

9. gazzaa

Wise Guy

well i only got this card a few days ago its got the arctic cooler as standard i just fitted the vented backing plate which i forgot about and my temp just went down to 29 idle

10. gazzaa

Wise Guy

try using ati tray tools thats what im using

11. CurlyWhirly

Wise Guy

ATI tray tools?

Do you mean the options on the Windows taskbar like 'Change AF and AA mode' and 'Load profile'?

If so I can't see what they can do to help me with my 'problem' unless I'm missing something :confused:

12. gazzaa

Wise Guy

13. CurlyWhirly

Wise Guy

Thanks gazzaa :)

That tool is excellent as it offers a lot more options and features but should I keep the ATI Tool or just use this as a replacement instead?

14. gazzaa

Wise Guy

ive just got both installed its upto u mate.

15. CurlyWhirly

Wise Guy

Ok thanks to you and everyone who helped me.

I'm off to do some tweaking now :rolleyes: