Radiator fan control advice please

Associate
Hi,

Thinking of building my first water rig, purely for silent running (not OC). I'm investing in a 3900X + 3800 GPU and want to put both underwater for a quiet rig. I'm likely to be going for 360 rads in both the top and front with 3 pull fans on the front (assuming they will fit) and 6 push/pull fans on the top. I would also like to include a couple of fans in the base in either push or pull depending on whether I can achieve positive pressure inside the case (prefer it to negative).

The question I have is how the heck to control all of the fans plus water pump???? I've not selected a MOBO yet but was assuming I can daisy chain each set (top, front, bottom, back) into a fan header on the board, plug the pump into the CPU fan and voila? Would it best to use PWM to control the fans speed? If so, how is this achieved (assuming the internal fan headers PWM are linked to the case temperature and not the CPU/GPU temp).

The more I look into this, the more unanswered questions I find. Help appreciated.

Soldato
I just bought a cheap sata powered fan controller.. 10 fans, one fan header. Cost about 12 quid.

Pump in on its own header due to rpm differences. Itx build so my mobo only has 2 fan headers.

Associate
Or alternatively get a pump that doesn't need a PWM input, but controls the speed via a setting on the pump itself. Then you would only need to connect the pump to a header on the motherboard to monitor the pump speed and guard against any pump failure.

I use this one :)

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £78.65 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Associate
Daisy chain as you say, 3 fans to one header would be OK. These will each be controlled via PWM.
Motherboard software can base fan speed off CPU and chipset typically. GPU usually isn't normally an input in my experience, but you can add temperature sensors to get this or monitor water temp.

Soldato
Aquaero 6 LT will do the job what I use to control my fans and pump.

Very easy to setup can set to gpu temps, custom fan curvers, fall back temps so fans not starting at max rpm.

If you want to spend more you can get a drive bay mounted one so you can see the stats on the front of your case and adjust on the fly. Cheaper then there are likely other fan controllers around but aquaero is one of the best.

Soldato
AquaComputer OCTO

Cheaper than the Aquero, more functionality, smaller, easier to mount and just awesome. Best fan controller in the industry IMO, and by far the best software

Associate
AquaComputer OCTO

Cheaper than the Aquero, more functionality, smaller, easier to mount and just awesome. Best fan controller in the industry IMO, and by far the best software

that it is a good unit got one for my new build software has ton's of features

Associate
The little phanteks fan hub is the best I have used. Cheap and easy to use. Will need to use other recommended software as its just the fan hub.

Back
Top Bottom