US: Raised by Wolves (HBO) - By Ridley Scott

Man of Honour
OP
Agreed about Prometheus vibes, and yes Mother is immense! Can't wait to see more backstory on the whole Android vs Humans saga. The technology mixed with old school human dynamics and attire is kinda cool too.

This had 8.8 on IMDB last I looked!

Caporegime
Glad to hear it's good, a couple of reviews I saw said it was boring (trailer didn't look so but I am a sucker for trailers).

Agreed about Prometheus vibes, and yes Mother is immense! Can't wait to see more backstory on the whole Android vs Humans saga. The technology mixed with old school human dynamics and attire is kinda cool too.

This had 8.8 on IMDB last I looked!

Only thing that left me wondering was where does the story go from here. I wont mention it here so as not to spoil it for anyone but it went ballistic in the second half of the first episode hehe, I would have thought from seeing the trailers that it would have happened later on in the season, will be interesting to see how the season unfolds :)

Caporegime
the first episodes a bit of a slow burn at first and the pacing overall is quite slow imo, but I still enjoyed the first 3 eps

I do have one issue with the mother character though.
how does she go from having no energy lets call it jekyll, to having stupid amounts of energy hyde? is this the super power of being a mother protecting your children
made no sense to me did I miss something.

I'm not against slow burning series if it means they are fleshed out more and everything doesn't seem rushed

Man of Honour
OP
She needs her eyes to be fully complete the battle sequence as she is a battle android re-purposed to be a nurture-droid and raise the remains of humanity on Keplar-22b. We know this as it was shown through flashbacks and story filler between present segments. As she is now the caretaker, Father uses logic to decide his factors as that's his programming but it's clear that Mother has become sentient beyond her programming and taking on the psychological role as a biological mother who will stop at nothing to protect her children. If she followed her programming then the threat (children or otherwise) would have been wiped out a while back to contain the remainder of the flock's good health. In fact at points we are lead to believe maybe Mother even poisoned some of them and killed Father but everything was well calculated for a purpose.

I think there is more at play here, the human race is in turmoil back on earth which is why 2 androids were sent 500+ light years to Keplar-22b (this is an actual planet out there which is thought to be habitable) and as it happens in the late 2100s of Earth time, I imagine they used some kind of wormhole to get there with various fleets (the Arks) following suit to colonise potential planets out there because Earth is no longer suitable as we saw during the flashbacks showing the chosen ones to go onto the Ark.

One faction of humans created battle droids that Mother once was to fight what appeared to be the holy war (religious warriors vs Atheists?) so I imagine it was the Atheists who reprogrammed Mother to become the caretaker of the embryos and raise a pure human race who know no religion so that they grow and continue the race hopefully without the drama Earth's humans created for themselves.

Caporegime

I get the eyes thing but are they supposed to have mini nuclear reactors in them or what, weren't there multiple days where she moaned about using too much energy and needing to rest before she ever went pyscho?

Soldato
So good to have some proper, decent sci-fi on TV again. It's a rare thing these days, especially when everything seems to be dumbed down and aimed at the lowest common denominator - namely the idiot generations with their 30s attention spans.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
So this went down the pan rapid. I had to switch it off halfway through ep5

The drop in cinematography quality was to be expected when Scott stopped directing. But the story didn't have to nose dive as well. I could see a family melodrama on a strange planet coming, interlaced with questions of morality and religion but hoped it wouldn't go that way. But it has.

Coulda been a great story wrapped in hardcore sci-fi that moved along at a nice pace. Instead it's just a cliched old dead horse getting beaten at a snails pace.

If this somehow gets better after ep5, please ping me :D

SPG

SPG

Soldato
God, why does everything have to be so bloody action action action action... No wonder everything is getting dumbed down for the idiot masses.

I am quite enjoying it.

Action films are like graphics..... Action does not make a good film.

Soldato
The show has started to go downhill, they've introduced this juxtaposition of good and evil with the Mother character and not sure I like where it's heading. Hope they don't go down the cliched Blade Runner 'tears in the rain' route. Also my initial gripe with Mother being too powerful has just gotten worse, as she's suddenly discovered 2 more new abilities.

Back
Top Bottom