• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raja Koduri, Radeon Technologies Boss, leaves AMD to Join Intel

Soldato
It's 14 months late, it draws a lot of power, it competes with Nvidia's 3rd tier card, there are no AIB cards 2-3 months after release and it's more expensive than people had hoped.
Just because AMD apparently set out to be disappointing doesn't mean it's not underwhelming after a 14 month wait.

Its late yes I agree, very late! But its still competing that is all that matters. If Volta and Navi released around same time next year does it still matter about VEGA?
VEGA was never supposed to beat 1080ti is was shown again the 1080..
The 1080ti is a Premium product only Nvidia has this!

Soldato
This is the type of thing that makes me want to disregard anything you ever say. You've no objectivity.

V64's came out at a price point that AIB 1080 occupied, while not actually being better. That in itself is underwhelming. That's ignoring the price that puts it at higher than 1080 AIB models.

All of this after one of the most prolonged launches I've ever seen is why Vega can only ever be described as underwhelming at best.

That is your choice, I have my own Opinion. My Opinion still remains am happy with Vega, AM happy with the price I paid £470... I do also have an opinion on AIB models and I think it sucks that we are still waiting! For whatever reason I have no idea.. If I was to guess it would be Price to Market was very high! Who really to blame here though? You hear so much difference from AMD being the blame to Mining to retailers.

I kind of agree with you but they had so long with it, we all expected something special and even I was hoping for a 1080Ti killer but we got a 1080 competitor and something that runs with the need for Sizewell B to power it. Hot, no custom cards as of yet and it has been out long enough for those to have appeared. Basically, it is a year+ late to the party for what it is achieving.

I do also agree with you I was also hoping for even more than we got, even though I probably wouldn't have bought the top tier card. My top limit on a GPU is £500 and Vega fitted within that range. Its been an excellent upgrade over the R9 290.

The market of 1000w for VEGA was way overblown by even AMD themselves I don't understand why
"PSU Recommendation 1000W(liquid) / 750W"
They is people in the Owners thread running on much, much lower PSU perfectly fine... Hot out the box easy hits its target temp 85c but with a simple tweak of the voltage you can gain performance, lower temps and even lower power draw. One big headache I have for AMD is that they way over do the stock GPUs, had they just released them with a profile like I running now day one Benchmarks would have been quite different.

Soldato
Its official:

https://newsroom.intel.com/news-releases/raja-koduri-joins-intel/

Raja Koduri Joins Intel as Chief Architect to Drive Unified Vision across Cores and Visual Computing
Intel to Expand Strategy to Deliver High-End, Discrete Graphics Solutions
SANTA CLARA, Calif., Nov. 8, 2017 – Intel today announced the appointment of Raja Koduri as Intel chief architect, senior vice president of the newly formed Core and Visual Computing Group, and general manager of a new initiative to drive edge computing solutions. In this position, Koduri will expand Intel’s leading position in integrated graphics for the PC market with high-end discrete graphics solutions for a broad range of computing segments.

Billions of users today enjoy computing experiences powered by Intel’s leading cores and visual computing IP. Going forward under Koduri’s leadership, the company will unify and expand differentiated IP across computing, graphics, media, imaging and machine intelligence capabilities for the client and data center segments, artificial intelligence, and emerging opportunities like edge computing.
“Raja is one of the most experienced, innovative and respected graphics and system architecture visionaries in the industry and the latest example of top technical talent to join Intel,” said Dr. Murthy Renduchintala, Intel’s chief engineering officer and group president of the Client and Internet of Things Businesses and System Architecture. “We have exciting plans to aggressively expand our computing and graphics capabilities and build on our very strong and broad differentiated IP foundation. With Raja at the helm of our Core and Visual Computing Group, we will add to our portfolio of unmatched capabilities, advance our strategy to lead in computing and graphics, and ultimately be the driving force of the data revolution.”

Koduri brings to Intel more than 25 years of experience in visual and accelerated computing advances across a broad range of platforms, including PCs, game consoles, professional workstations and consumer devices. His deep technical expertise spans graphics hardware, software and system architecture.

“I have admired Intel as a technology leader and have had fruitful collaborations with the company over the years,” Koduri said. “I am incredibly excited to join the Intel team and have the opportunity to drive a unified architecture vision across its world-leading IP portfolio that help’s accelerate the data revolution.”

Koduri, 49, joins Intel from AMD, where he most recently served as senior vice president and chief architect of the Radeon Technologies Group. In this role, he was responsible for overseeing all aspects of graphics technologies used in AMD’s APU, discrete GPU, semi-custom and GPU compute products. Prior to AMD, Koduri served as director of graphics architecture at Apple Inc., where he helped establish a leadership graphics sub-system for the Mac product family and led the transition to Retina computer displays.

Koduri will officially start in his new role at Intel in early December.

Caporegime
Can't blame the guy for personal ambition, but a bit of a **** to leave AMD in the lurch like this when barely getting started. Hopefully they can replace him asap with a talented engineer/leader.

Navi based on GCN (still!!) is gonna have all the same bottlenecks, so I wouldn't be expecting it to light anyone's pants on fire.

Caporegime
Doesn't Raja joining Intel making collaborating with AMD with seem short term?
If Intel can develop better APU's with Raja's help without AMD collaborating then it doesn't seem a win for AMD. Seems the opposite.

Caporegime
Yup, and if people don't think secrets are shared once someone moves to a rival then they are *seriously* deluded. Bad news for AMD all round I think.

Raja can share all the secretes he likes but Intel cannot use AMD's IP, all Intel have is nVidia's old obsolete IP, i'm sure Raja convinced Intel he can do this and that with it but even with AMD's IP portfolio his graphics tech was lack lustre.

Soldato
Yup, and if people don't think secrets are shared once someone moves to a rival then they are *seriously* deluded. Bad news for AMD all round I think.

You mean like this:

https://wccftech.com/tech-secrets-nvidia-amd-tsmc-stolen/

That is in China too,a country known to be lax for IP protection.

People are a tad deluded if they think that it works that way. I know people who work in biomedical and computing research and they had to sign agreements with industrial collaborators(some people were working with large biotech companies),which if they were broken(or suspected of having broken) would have screwed them entirely,as the lawyers would have had a field day. Also companies don't tend to like hiring people who would do that,as even Intel might think,what if the chap moved elsewhere and gave away their secrets. So your career would be screwed over too.

Plus,AMD and Nvidia have massive amounts of patents regarding graphics IP,and that is why Intel needed to license Nvidia patents for the last 5 years. If the conspiracy theory was true that people leak stuff willy nilly,instead of over a billion dollars in licensing agreements,it would be far cheaper to poach a few Nvidia engineers.

This only means one thing,Intel will be licensing AMD tech or even probably will be looking to buy aspects of it.

Caporegime
Exactly what Adored mentioned in his video. NVidia are about to get smacked.

nVidia look fine from where I'm sitting. Market leaders with their hands in various pies, all the way to their elbows....

Nvidia is so profitable because of the lack of adequate competition. They make medium level cards which they sell for top-tier price-tags.
AMD bleeds money because they make top-tier cards which they sell at medium-level price-tags.
Both of those can't be true.

The truth is that AMD's top-end perform like nV's mid-range. Hence why nV are selling mid-range for top-end money, and have invented at least two new price tiers above top-end...

Soldato
That is your choice, I have my own Opinion. My Opinion still remains am happy with Vega, AM happy with the price I paid £470... I do also have an opinion on AIB models and I think it sucks that we are still waiting! For whatever reason I have no idea.. If I was to guess it would be Price to Market was very high! Who really to blame here though? You hear so much difference from AMD being the blame to Mining to retailers.
AMD

Who else is supposed to have designed the cards?
It's the design that made it expensive, it's not the AIBs fault or we'd have the same issue with the RX 500 cards and all of Nvidia's cards.

Soldato
AMD

Who else is supposed to have designed the cards?
It's the design that made it expensive, it's not the AIBs fault or we'd have the same issue with the RX 500 cards and all of Nvidia's cards.

Disagree! They released at RP Price £450 and then later want up high in price! they are now finally getting back to where they should be.

All prices have went up not just AMD, but also Nvidia! This is the market demand kicking in... AMD could not have released VEGA at a worst time for Mining crazy! And it didn't help them either with VEGA being rumored to be a Mining Monster. You even had OCUK staff releasing GPUs onto the forums early to stop miners buying them all up!

Once stock was gone, prices and demand went up!
Simple as that.

Caporegime
You mean like this:

https://wccftech.com/tech-secrets-nvidia-amd-tsmc-stolen/

That is in China too,a country known to be lax for IP protection.

People are a tad deluded if they think that it works that way. I know people who work in biomedical and computing research and they had to sign agreements with industrial collaborators(some people were working with large biotech companies),which if they were broken(or suspected of having broken) would have screwed them entirely,as the lawyers would have had a field day. Also companies don't tend to like hiring people who would do that,as even Intel might think,what if the chap moved elsewhere and gave away their secrets. So your career would be screwed over too.

Plus,AMD and Nvidia have massive amounts of patents regarding graphics IP,and that is why Intel needed to license Nvidia patents for the last 5 years. If the conspiracy theory was true that people leak stuff willy nilly,instead of over a billion dollars in licensing agreements,it would be far cheaper to poach a few Nvidia engineers.

This only means one thing,Intel will be licensing AMD tech or even probably will be looking to buy aspects of it.

This seems far more likely, the chances are AMD are licencing some of their GPU tech to Intel and Intel for their part think its a good idea to hire the guy who knows the tech behind the IP.

Back
Top Bottom