Rally Project

Man of Honour
Firestar_3x said:
True :)

What the deal with losing the glass and replacing it with plastic?
Depends on the exact regulations of the class you are entering, for open modified class in road rallies you can replace the side windows with polycarbonate or perspex as long as it's at least 4mm thick. I think you can get away with the rear screen too. Windscreen must remain glass :)

Soldato
OP
Firestar_3x said:
Looks good, but its got a sunroof!
Yes it has, but like i said in my first post, not for long. Ive removed the roof lining and next up is to remove the sunroof and all the cradle that supports it. Will cut out two pieces from a scrap corsa's roof. One to fill the hole itself, another bigger piece to sit underneath, inside the car to support and stiffen it :)

Soldato
OP
Ok just a quick update.
The carbon fibre door/rear panels are no longer available :( After some thought ive decided that i will replace the original front door panels. Why? well i'm getting conflicting reports about the regulations for revival rallying, some say the original interior needs to be retained (panels, roof lining and carpet) other say any panel will do. So, play it safe, originals back in. Secondly they have pockets which can be used for maps, tape, torches, spare bulbs, pens and barbie comics. Thirdly, they have speakers in, if i can source a miniature car radio (anyone know where?) i can hide somewhere it'll be something to listen to on any 55mph motorway journeys... The weight of the panels and speakers is minimal really, they are more useful than the weight i'd lose. Rear panels, watch this space.

Orders - My order from Demon Twits turned up, battery cable, terminals, heatshrink and cable clips.
Also from Peter Lloyd came my extinguishers, one hand held for minor disturbances and a plumbed in unit for severe interior or engine bay fires. The plumbed in system is operated by pull cables that set off the extinguisher. There will be two exits on it, one will simply exit into the cockpit and the other, connected to a pipe will be fed into the engine bay. Also got a Navigators footrest and a FIA battery cut-off switch. The battery box was out of stock, will arrive shortly. The battery itself will be moved from the engine bay and put in the rear of the car. The cable will then run from the back, along the exhaust tunnel (inside the car) to the cut-off switch on the dash, then onto the engine bay.
JBeck037-ext.jpg

Will take photos along the stages of fitting all this stuff.

cheers.

Last edited:
Permabanned
JBeck said:
So i decided on a Corsa, a 1.4 SRI to be precise. Why? well it's reasonably quick as standard with 82 bhp. They are easy to tune, easy to work with, are reasonably cheap and handle well with some decent coilovers. They also have a Lotus designed head that can give huge gains when done properly (around 20% gain).

how r they easy to tune ? (my car has the same engine)

Soldato
OP
chopchop said:
how r they easy to tune ? (my car has the same engine)
Very - you can slide a cam in easy enough with the right tools. K&N, exhaust, de-cat, chip and a power boost valve will give it a decent little gain.

Yes a plumbed in extinguisher is mandatory for all stage rallying. Not required however for revival or road rallying, im going to get the car RAC log booked so it must have one. Im not planning on using it of course, but if needs be, its there.

Soldato
I think i'd use a k11 micra 1.3 for a similar project, fantastic little engines, surprisingly quick and reliable.
Looks a great project, looking forward to updates and more pictures.

Permabanned
JBeck said:
Very - you can slide a cam in easy enough with the right tools. K&N, exhaust, de-cat, chip and a power boost valve will give it a decent little gain.

so all that would get you 20% more power? thats about ~16bhp? for how much money?? im thinking about 200 for the cam, 50 for k&n, 300? exhaust and 200-300? chip. thats a lot of money for a piddly increase.

Soldato
chopchop said:
so all that would get you 20% more power? thats about ~16bhp? for how much money?? im thinking about 200 for the cam, 50 for k&n, 300? exhaust and 200-300? chip. thats a lot of money for a piddly increase.

16bhp may seem a piddly increase, but on a 80bhp corsa you have to remember 8bhp is a 10% power increase.

Soldato
OP
A Kent NVO61/62k will give a increase of 10/12 bhp on its own. Yes i was offered a Micra as a swap actually! turned it down as I think they are ugly, i *know* vauxhalls like the back of my hand and you cannot get a straight cut box for the Micra, something which is a huge advantage due to the fantastic ratios offered.

Soldato
JBeck said:
A Kent NVO61/62k will give a increase of 10/12 bhp on its own. Yes i was offered a Micra as a swap actually! turned it down as I think they are ugly, i *know* vauxhalls like the back of my hand and you cannot get a straight cut box for the Micra, something which is a huge advantage due to the fantastic ratios offered.

Yeah, parts for the micra are harder to come by, im sure theres someone who has made a box for the micra (possibly someone Humphreys who races them), but its very expensive.
Ive heard the micra does quite well in certain classes, especially the 1000cc races.
As you can tell I prefer the micra to the corsa, but for this it seems the corsa is an all round better choice :) keep us up to date.

Permabanned
moss said:
Because you said it was a piddly increase, 20% power increase isnt really that piddly is it?

yea when that increase doesnt go over 100bhp, it is piddly. a 30-40 bhp increase would be quicker and you would actually notice that your money did something.

when the valves get removed and lapped, send the head to be ported, it would be a lot better then i think :)

Back
Top Bottom