Rally Project

Man of Honour
JBeck (or anyone else who knows) I need a distribution block/splitter for my battery live - I want it in the engine bay so I can easily take not only the main starter and fuel pump connections (thick cable), but extra live feeds for the spots and horns when I need to. Obviously as I'm using 135 amp cable it needs to be relatively hefty and obviously insulated outside. Anyone know where I can get something like this? It's basically a big, insulated chunk of metal with 4 or more holes drilled in it and screws to secure......

Watch out for my own RR build thread coming soon too! :)

Man of Honour
andi said:
Can you not use audio distribution blocks? Some of them are for 0 gauge, which is pretty thick cable..
That's what I was thinking of doing - do you know anywhere that does 6-way ones?

135 amp cable is about 5 or 7mm I think, it's outside in the car at the moment and it's too cold to go check

Soldato
I can't say I've seen any 6 way ones, looking round the few websites I can think of I can't find any. You might struggle to find one with 0awg (150 amp I think) in and out as well now I think about it, most audio stuff takes 0awg in and then 4awg out, or something similar..

Man of Honour
andi said:
I can't say I've seen any 6 way ones, looking round the few websites I can think of I can't find any. You might struggle to find one with 0awg (150 amp I think) in and out as well now I think about it, most audio stuff takes 0awg in and then 4awg out, or something similar..
Needs to be:

1 x 0awg in.

2 x 0awg out
2 x (any size will do) out

6 is overkill, 4 will do if I'm honest. I might just have to get one of the boys to make one in Uni for me. Shame, as audio ones look very neat.

Soldato
OP
Sorry, been away these last few weekends and didn't realise i had any replies... I *might* know to something for you, will have a look this weekend when i'm up at the garage. Otherwise i presume that you've tried Demon Twits/Peter Lloyd/Jason Lepley etc?

As far as the corsa goes, still no cage :( but ordered the exhaust and manifold. Does anyone know what these 'sport' Cats are like? Do they mostly get rid of any loss of power or should i just throw a decat pipe on there?
No other updates i'm afraid if i haven't been at work i've been in Bristol, will try and give you something at the weekend if i can.

Man of Honour
We now have 2 rally build threads active in Motors ;)

Tried the usual suspects but nothing really seems to be fitting the bill. I'll have to look at a few audio ones and see if they will be any use.

Soldato
OP
First off, sorry Lopez but there wasn't anything i could find suitable for you.

Ok small update, removed the rounded part from the dash on passenger side. This enabled me to fit this external fusebox for auxiliaries such as spots, potti, map light etc...
JBeck037-IMG_0481.jpg

I will also be putting a tripmeter/timer here, right in front of the navigators eyes so he has no excuses for booking me in early.

Next up, the exhaust came but no manifold. Not too much of a worry as it needs to be MOT'd with the cat in place first. I have decided to use a MK2 Astra 4-1 manifold and modify it to suit. Went for a Ashley mild steel competition system as they are cheap, well made and good fitting. No point in a £350 stainless job as it will be ripped off more than once in it's life.
JBeck037-IMG_0482.jpg

As you can see, the bodgers united have been hard at work on the old one! It came off after some help from a friendly hacksaw. The pipe coming out of the cat is a little shorter than normal so that needs to be done before the pipe can go on properly.
JBeck037-IMG_0483.jpg

Taking the car upto the garage later this week to start on the hole in the roof. Have sourced a new roof lining and top half of a Corsa from my local breakers, also a new rear bumper which i damaged on the way home (my bad) needs to be sprayed. Hopefully the cage might make itself known very shortly.

GT3

GT3

Soldato
Are you going to get the dash flocked? Its fairly cheap and you wont get any reflections from sunlight from the dash. This company seem to do a pretty good job and prices start from £40 and go upto £100 for more complicated dashes.

Example:

dash-vi.jpg

Man of Honour
Ashley exhausts are great value but damn loud. The OMP system on the 205 got torn off three times on one event, and run over by 3 cars by the time I'd run back down the white to pick it up. :o

I'm actually staying with stock on my car until it breaks/blows.

GT3, flocked dashes are ace because any light from map reading lamps etc causes really annoying dash reflections. Sunlight isn't an issue on night events ;)

Nice work JBeck, keep the updates coming.

Soldato
OP
Hi, that's fibreglass on the exhaust, someone bodged over a hole in the pipe and in doing so covered the u-bolt holding it on. They also welded the front part to the cat outlet.
Never thought about getting the dash flocked actually, that's a nice idea, thanks.

Had a bit of a chat with mate last week who was in turn talking to guy he knows. A place in Leominster are getting, wait for it... 170 BHP out of these babies and 180 BHP from the 16v units. Ok so they have everything possible done to them but for a 1400cc unit that is mighty impressive. As the Corsa is so light and with power like that, they've recorded faster times than WRC cars on the same stages :eek:

Soldato
OP
Hi guys, sorry for the lack of updates but been really busy aswell as travelling to and from Bristol. Right i have got the latest tech regs for revival rallying. Due to the severe limitations of what can be done to the car i need to decide on what i want it for. If i do revival then it'll be a struggle to have the car competitive for even road rallying. If i don't do revival then i can continue as i am and use the car for road rallying and stage events. Here are the regs for revival rallying...

A.1 DEFINITIONS
The term 'car' will mean a unitary construction motor vehicle designed to carry four or more persons. The term 'model' refers to all the variants of the same family of cars. The terms 'standard' and 'original' will mean conforming to the showroom specification of the actual model of car entered as it was produced and sold to the general public through the manufacturer's usual dealer outlets. The Organisers will have absolute discretion in identifying separate models.

A.2 CAR SPECIFICATION
All cars and their components, e.g. engine numbers, must conform to their vehicle registration document and the statutory vehicle regulations. Cars must be in completely standard condition except for the specified modifications detailed in these regulations for the Class in which the car is entered. All other modifications are prohibited and will be penalised up to exclusion from the event. All components and equipment, and every measurement and dimension must conform precisely to the manufacturer's published standard specification for the particular model of car entered. Entrants must supply the Organisers with any vehicle documentation as required.

A.3 COMPONENT PARTS
Every part or component of the car must be a standard production item identifiable as the manufacturer's listed and numbered part, except where alternative components are specifically permitted by these Regulations. No standard part may be machined, lightened or polished unless specifically permitted within these Regulations.

A.4 SAFETY EQUIPMENT
It is mandatory that all cars be equipped with:

An AFFF fire extinguisher of at least 1.75 litres. This must be within easy reach of both occupants inside the car and be securely mounted in quick release brackets bolted to the car. If a plumbed-in system is fitted, an additional hand-held AFFF extinguisher, as above, must also be fitted.

Seat belts to at least MSA Blue Book Q 2.1 and Q 2.1.2 specification (full harness, 4 point fixing).
Rollover protection to at least MSA Blue Book Q1 specification (single hoop and 2 back stays).

Front windscreen of laminated glass.

Mud flaps for all four wheels.

First aid kit, warning triangle, tow rope and SOS/OK Board.

A.5 BODY (exterior)
Cars must have bodywork that represents the manufacturer's original profile, as in standard or manufacturer's optional extra form. All bodywork panels must be of the material provided as standard by the car manufacturer. Front and rear bumpers must be retained and be of the same material and dimensions as those fitted by the manufacturer. The fitting of additional wheel arch extensions is prohibited. Cars may not be lightened from the manufacturer's standard production weight. Strengthening of the bodyshell is permitted. De-mountable strut brace(s) may be fitted. Detachable sump guards, transmission, fuel tank and silencing system protection plates may be fitted. Bonnet, door and rear door/hatch locks may be changed and additional catches fitted. Sunroofs are acceptable.

A.6 BODY (interior)
All major internal trim must remain as originally supplied by the manufacturer. The exceptions are:- full harness belts must be fitted; a roll cage must be fitted; the steering wheel may be replaced; the front seats may be replaced; rear seats may have their backs folded down and securely fastened (or cut only where necessary to allow the fitting of the roll cage and seat belts); parcel shelves may be removed; trim and carpets behind the rear seats in the boot space may be removed; inside door panels may be reshaped to accommodate roll cage door bars or substituted by an alternative panel from a model variant; safety air bags may be removed or disabled; additional instruments, switches and controls may be fitted providing the layout of the original components is not changed; interior accessories may be added to improve comfort, convenience or safety, provided they do not affect the performance of the car. The glass areas of the car must not be rendered opaque except for the sunstrip area.

A.7 ENGINE & TRANSMISSION
The engine must in all respects conform to that originally fitted by the manufacturer for the model of car. No part may be machined, balanced, lightened, polished or otherwise modified in any way except for a service reground crankshaft and/or cylinder re-bore which does not exceed 1.5mm (60 thou) or does not exceed the engine capacity class limits by more than 2.5%. Engine and gearbox mountings may be modified or replaced provided there is no alteration to the engine and gearbox or their position within the car. Additional engine braces are allowed provided they utilise existing attachment points on the engine and a strengthening plate may be attached to the base of the sump pan. Dry-sump lubrication is not permitted. Forced induction is not permitted. Carburettor engines may have only the standard, maximum two carburettor chokes (two single or one double.) Fuel injection engines must retain the standard injection system complete with plenum chamber and throttle body unmodified. Air intake trunking, to the air filter, is free. Air filters and elements are free, but must be fitted to ensure the vehicle complies with MSA noise regulations (see A.8 below).
All component parts of the gearbox and transmission must remain as standard and be unmodified except the clutch friction material which is free. The fitting of a limited-slip differential is prohibited.

A.8 EXHAUST SYSTEM
The original exhaust manifold must be retained as standard but the dimensions and routing of the exhaust system after the exit of the manifold may be modified provided any originally fitted catalytic converter is retained. Additional straps and brackets may be fitted to the exhaust system. Noise levels must comply with the MSA noise limits for road rallies which requires the vehicle to produce no more than 74 dB(A) at 2/3 maximum rpm, when measured at an 8.0m distance from the centre of the car.

A.9 ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
The wiring loom and ignition and engine management system may be modified. The battery may be changed and its mountings strengthened but its position must remain as standard.

A.10 LIGHTING SYSTEM
Vehicles may have a maximum of four forward facing beams, as well as side & indicator lights. A headlamp provides the main beam and dipped functions. An auxiliary lamp provides a beam other than that provided by the headlamp.

A headlamp may consist of a single reflector with a dual filament bulb, or separate reflectors, each with single filament bulbs providing the functions of main beam and dipped beam separately. These will be considered as the equivalent of a single, dual filament headlamp unit.

Lamp units comprising two reflectors, where one reflector is fitted with a dual filament bulb, will be considered to be a combined headlamp and auxiliary lamp. In this instance therefore, additional auxiliary lamps may not be fitted.

Auxiliary lights using gas discharge technology are not permitted. Gas discharge headlamps may not be retrofitted. Light pods are not permitted.

Where more than four beams are fitted as standard, only four may be used and the rest must be rendered unusable for the duration of the event.

No external navigation or marshals' lights are permitted. No reversing lights other than those fitted by the manufacturers are permitted.

A.11 FUEL SYSYTEM
Alternative fuel pump(s) may be used. Fuel lines may be changed without restriction but must be protected by a fireproof covering where they pass through the interior. The fuel tank may be changed.

A.12 COOLING SYSTEM
The position of the water radiator must remain unchanged but the core construction and mountings may be changed.

A.13 BRAKING SYSTEM
All brake components must be as standard except for the friction material of brake pads and linings and the brake fluid. Hydraulically operated parking brakes are not permitted. Anti-lock braking systems may be removed or disabled. Hydraulic brake lines may be changed and stone protection added.

A.14 SUSPENSION & STEERING
The suspension type and mountings shall remain the same as that fitted by the manufacturer. The shock absorbers may be of any make and may be uprated from standard, remote reservoirs and adjustable spring platform struts are permitted. It is prohibited to fit telescopic instead of lever arm shock absorbers and vice versa. Springs are free but must retain their original location. Bushes may be changed for similar polymer materials but rose-joints or similar metal joints are prohibited. Power assisted steering systems may be removed. Steering and track control arms may be changed or strengthened provided the operating dimensions remain as standard. Wishbone pans may be strengthened but the operating dimensions must remain as original. The geometry of the suspension must not be altered.

A.15 WHEELS & TYRES
The only tyre to be used throughout the event is the 'Road Plus' range, as supplied by Colway. The only exception is an emergency during the event when another tyre has to be purchased from a retail outlet in order to remain in the event. This action must be reported to the Chief Scrutineer at the end of the Leg. Failure to do so may result in penalties as detailed in Article 4.2 and 14.2. It is the intention that additional Colway 'Road Plus' tyres be available for purchase at the end of each Leg. The choice of road wheel is free provided that the wheel-tyre combination fits within the standard unmodified wheel arch. The number of wheels and or tyres carried in the car is free and they must be securely fastened in position.

As you can see, going by those i'll have to put the battery back under the bonnet, the original full interior panels and carpets back in. Bits back on the dash and steering column, no cam, no straight cut box, no nothing much :( Basically all the gear ive taken out and thrown i'll have to go buy back again and reverse most of the work i have already done. The good thing about revival is that it's quite cheap, you're all in equally competitive cars, it's in the daytime and can cover 300/400 miles and is a great few days out. So basically i'm in a bit of a quandry now as to what to do with the thing...

Soldato
OP
The point of revival is that everyone has the same chance to be competitive. You could be a millionaire but you wouldn't be able to spend loads on your car giving you the advantage. It's quite possible to be a front runner in a quite basic car. I'd be happy with the regs if i didn't want the car for road rallying aswell. You can spend £20,000 on a road rally car (and they do) and there is no recognition, prize money, nothing. Revival is aiming big, with 8 or so large events next year and the MSA pushing it hard as the next big thing. I know what they are upto, they have opened up the road rally classes and you can run some hellish machinery nowadays. This will lead to more problems with the public and police (it's bad enough already), the MSA know this and will use it as an excuse to ban it. I'll give road rallying another 2-3 years and it'll be gone.

For those that don't know much about the event types i'll explain. Road rallying = using public roads/lanes at night, meeting oncoming traffic is probable, the spectators are alomost always problematic (driving like prats, chasing rally traffic, parking by peoples homes and shouting, handbraking, wheel spinning etc), local residents complain to the organising club and the police. Around here the police have actually been turning up at the start of events and telling all competitors that if they use the handbrake on a hairpin they'll be knicked. The police have been out in force as of late, mostly to control the spectators (read boy racing chavs who think they are all colin mcrae and lots of them) We get residnets parking tractors, placing straw bales or simply standing in the middle of the road on a corner. Bricks through windscreens, chains and wire tied across the road. Road Rallying is a PR nightmare, there's no two ways about it.
Revival rallying = Driving on stages only, i.e. farm tracks, parks (e.g.weston park), old airfields, forest roads, fields etc mostly in the daytime, in quieter cars. All public roads that link these stages will be non competitive, just like a WRC event. It's cheap, you only need basic mods on your car and you could be up there fighting for the lead by just being a decent driver. I love road rallying but it doesn't take a genius to see which direction our sport is heading in the next few years.

Btw http://www.endurorally.com/index.html

Back
Top Bottom