Random 3D printing chatter

Soldato
OP
I dunno, they go to all that trouble to make the fan spin smoothly and what do you go an do?! ;)

BLTouch just arrived. Need to find enough sanity to wrap my head around it all now. Too many plates spinning at once at the moment!

Associate
I dunno, they go to all that trouble to make the fan spin smoothly and what do you go an do?! ;)

BLTouch just arrived. Need to find enough sanity to wrap my head around it all now. Too many plates spinning at once at the moment!

Well I had thought of butchering it and cutting a blade off :)

Anyway, I'm an idiot. I just spent days printing paint racks before remembering I have a laser cutter. I just spent 15 mins cutting one for 60ml Alclad bottles for which I didn't have a handy 3D print STL...

.oOo.

If you didn't have ABL before you'll find the BLTouch a wonderful addition to your printer - beats manual levelling for sure!

Soldato
OP
That's alright; moments of idiocy seem to be par for the course most of the time, let alone currently! I printed the spindle for my spool holder without pins as I needed a flat base to print it. Then I carefully machined two short pins (didn't have 8mm dowels) to go in the end and into the bearings. Dawned on me afterwards I should have just made one pin that went all the way through - much easier, faster and would have been straighter!
My existing gooseneck light on that grinder is both pathetic and seems to have mains voltage where it shouldn't - give you one guess! So today's idiocy involves trying to dismantle an LED GU10 bulb to see if it can be split (LED at the top of a gooseneck and transformer at the bottom) because I'm too cheap to spend £30 on one made for me (with reviews of it failing quickly). The good news is that at a bare minimum, what I've managed to achieve is one less bulb on the ceiling! :D

Didn't have ABL before so looking forward to it. Have to wrap head round Marlin (excuse!) and generally get finger out (real reason!) before I can use it. Probably need a day where my head doesn't feel like it's trying to turn itself inside out though!
Have managed to get the bed supports done though:

Soldato
OP
Nice. There seem to be plates either side of your gantry. Dual extruders planned?

I made printed mounts that tip my LEDs downward rather than at your face. They just clip into the slot. I'd share the model but your strips are bound to be a different size/shape.

This evening I stabbed holes in the ceiling...for the rain to drain out more easily and hopefully hit the buckets instead of the vents at the back of the monitors.:rolleyes:

Man of Honour
Nice. There seem to be plates either side of your gantry. Dual extruders planned?

I made printed mounts that tip my LEDs downward rather than at your face. They just clip into the slot. I'd share the model but your strips are bound to be a different size/shape.

This evening I stabbed holes in the ceiling...for the rain to drain out more easily and hopefully hit the buckets instead of the vents at the back of the monitors.:rolleyes:

Not yet on the dual extruders, im just playing still at the moment. Stands to reason the day I finish 2209 drivers turn up! As for the leds I'm thinking ill print some tpu diffusers out of some of the clear tpu i have. I still need to remount a load of stuff and properly level it. but its working well!

Soldato
Not yet on the dual extruders, im just playing still at the moment. Stands to reason the day I finish 2209 drivers turn up! As for the leds I'm thinking ill print some tpu diffusers out of some of the clear tpu i have. I still need to remount a load of stuff and properly level it. but its working well!
I have followed your build and it has been brilliant to see all of the work you have put in, you must be pretty proud of that, I know I would be.

Soldato

Duel extruder on a ender 3 anyone?

Only just found the guy,
He is awesome :)

Last edited:
Associate
My printer has been sitting for 2 weeks whilst I try to think of something to print on the last of my filament roll.

Should I admit defeat and change to a new one or do you have any recommendations for some small prints?

Man of Honour
I have followed your build and it has been brilliant to see all of the work you have put in, you must be pretty proud of that, I know I would be.

It's been a mission for sure. I'm not entirely happy with the new carriage yet either so might have to get something going and make some modifications, I hate the bltouch location, I dont like the location of the endstop and there is plenty more that just makes me not like it... I like the way it holds the belts around the back and love the way the motor sits directly under the extrusion for a better centre of gravity, so perhaps ill remake it soon. For now I think ill print and make some more things!

Soldato
OP
That's the spirit. And if the parts don't fit together on first print, just "press fit" them in your vise :D
What me? Yeah, ok I tend to ream holes to size presuming they won't print to size rather than be bothered to get things properly sorted. Works nicely though! When I get the SKR in I'll try harder....maybe ;)

Soldato
OP
Anyone got any experience with suitable multipin connectors for a 3D printer?
I'm going to order the JST XH pins and shells to wire up the new motherboard with wire long enough to properly reach. What I was thinking of doing was having a plugged connection between the control box and the chassis wiring so it's possible to take the box out without having to strip the wiring off the frame. There's a 37 pin D-dub (like a glorified printer port or VGA connection) that would take the signals but I doubt it would be suitable for the bed and hot end! Before I disappear down the rabbit hole trying to find things that night work, am I reinventing the wheel here, is this something that there's already a recognised solution for?

Associate
Anyone got any experience with suitable multipin connectors for a 3D printer?
I'm going to order the JST XH pins and shells to wire up the new motherboard with wire long enough to properly reach. What I was thinking of doing was having a plugged connection between the control box and the chassis wiring so it's possible to take the box out without having to strip the wiring off the frame. There's a 37 pin D-dub (like a glorified printer port or VGA connection) that would take the signals but I doubt it would be suitable for the bed and hot end! Before I disappear down the rabbit hole trying to find things that night work, am I reinventing the wheel here, is this something that there's already a recognised solution for?

I use dumb toolboards for the extruders on my iDEX and they use ribbon cable, no issues with the hotend. Take a look at Jon channel he did a couple of videos on custom connectors/quick connectors. Like this one,

Man of Honour
Oh yeh.

BTT and Creality just copy everyone and then bring it out cheap.

Dont suppose you managed to find what this glass stuff is for the bed?

Today when I was tuning I managed to burn a massive hole in it :(... See top left!

And yes I'm already printing a modified version of the gantry :D I did a fair amount of tuning after printing that part and now gentlemen we are talking... It prints very nicely indeed!

Got plenty to do like some tpu diffusers etc but so far so good. The question is though do I go with these?

And how much of a pita is it going to be.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dont suppose you managed to find what this glass stuff is for the bed?

Today when I was tuning I managed to burn a massive hole in it :(... See top left!

And yes I'm already printing a modified version of the gantry :D I did a fair amount of tuning after printing that part and now gentlemen we are talking... It prints very nicely indeed!

Got plenty to do like some tpu diffusers etc but so far so good. The question is though do I go with these?

And how much of a pita is it going to be.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074XG1NDM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://gizmodorks.com/pei-sheet-3d-printing-build-surface/ I got the 1 mm I think :)

Back
Top Bottom