1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random 3D printing chatter

Discussion in '3D Printing' started by Cenedd, 30 Jun 2020.

1. deuse

Capodecina

What do you mean?

I can use the filament sensor to change colors.

2. bulb66

Wise Guy

I think they are referring to a mixing hotend such as the E3D Cyclops, I've got one but other than a couple of dual colour prints not got any experience using it.

3. Ni_Tr_O

Associate

Yeah E3D Cyclops sort of thing. I was wondering bcs some of my prints would do far better if bits were more compliant by mixing in TPU or the sort.

4. Cenedd

Wise Guy

Nice....looks like a benchy! Did it print significantly faster? That's the idea, isn't it?

5. bulb66

Wise Guy

Nope a 2.85mm print if anything would be slower as you might need to slow down to allow the thicker filament to melt. I'm still using a 0.4mm nozzle, if I was using a larger nozzle I could increase layer height etc and that would reduce print time.

I converted to that size as I brought some filament samples in that size as well as had some spools in 2.85mm.

Faberdashery filament samples, they stopped making filament a couple of years ago but that had some awesome colour's.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 6 Apr 2021 at 14:28
  6. Cenedd

Wise Guy

Ah, I see. I'd incorrectly presumed a direct link between filament size and nozzle size. So if you stuck a SuperVolcano (or something similar) in as your hotend to provide faster melting you could then get faster print time by using a wider nozzle but at the expense of fine detail.

7. bulb66

Wise Guy

Correct.

8. Joe Jones

Gangster

Finally got around to taking a pic of my printer setup. It's in the garage on a movable enclosure. Still need to tidy up the pi and the wires and need a front cover for it as I'm currently out of wood and just using a heavy sheet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got two screw braces putting tension on the printer and case so hopefully it's perceived mass is much higher and should let me get some good printing speeds going....or at the very least it keeps it firmly in place.