Random 3D printing chatter

Soldato
What I can tell you is that its white and 1.75mm. After that I have nothing... Could be ABS, could be PLA, could be something else :)
Whack it in the extruder, take the nozzle to 200 degrees and print a cube. Have a sniff and if it's not nice then it's ABS and turn the damn thing off and close the door :p If it doesn't stink and it sticks, it's PLA. If it doesn't print at 200 degrees it's not PLA :p

Man of Honour
Whack it in the extruder, take the nozzle to 200 degrees and print a cube. Have a sniff and if it's not nice then it's ABS and turn the damn thing off and close the door :p If it doesn't stink and it sticks, it's PLA. If it doesn't print at 200 degrees it's not PLA :p

Sounds like a plan! When my wife is finished work and has stopped using my machine ill give it a go... woke up to this this morning in whurple.. including a nice burn mark on the white case so hoping she fires up when the replacement gets here tomorrow.

Touched the case up but am unable to test the machine as the loop is in the way and you can't fit a gpu in without a riser. Could dismantle the loop but that's a ball ache. This should be a lesson to everybody, pay a bit more than a few quid that this riser from china cost :D This is particularly true if like me you bent it a bit more than perhaps it would like!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Ouch, that's not good. I need a riser for a low power GPU and was just going to grab a cheapo, but thinking I might not now...

I haven't exactly splashed out on the replacement, just went with the £20 odd quid kolink one. I'm sure that it will be fine, if not a second hand rx470 (nitro + one) can be had for £30 if you know where to look. I am sure it will be fine. Incidentally I gave the rx470 an outing in csgo and pubg and even at 3440x1440 its not a terrible card still when paired with the 2700x and 16gb 3200 memory.

I will be slightly more annoyed if the board or anything else is taken out. Given the first pin is (i think) the presence pin and its taken out the next 4 pins so if I remember rightly that would be both + and - 12v. Basically ain't no way it's turning on :D

Edit: Just checked a pinout and it's burnt through all its 12v and the presence pin which is what the 4 top pins are. Oh and the 4th set are a ground.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Managed to do that with external SCSI ribbon cable back in the day. Turns out the combination of adapters I was trying to yee-haw really wasn't a good idea. You've not felt properly alive until you're holding each end and one wire glows red hot, melts through the insulation and comes at you! Nothing was broken though so you may strike lucky with yours.

Man of Honour
Managed to do that with external SCSI ribbon cable back in the day. Turns out the combination of adapters I was trying to yee-haw really wasn't a good idea. You've not felt properly alive until you're holding each end and one wire glows red hot, melts through the insulation and comes at you! Nothing was broken though so you may strike lucky with yours.

In theory it shouldn't have taken anything out with it. I'm 99% confident I throw a new riser in and away we go. If not I guess the multimeter comes out and we see what else we have nuked :D Most things are fixable these days if you know what you are doing... Which I don't but I jab at them anyway :D

Soldato
OP
I shall have to peruse the back-catalogue of Whurple when I have some slowly-moving blue bars of impatience to watch. 3D printer content? Why, it's got a 3D-printed slinky vase on the top! :D

Man of Honour
I shall have to peruse the back-catalogue of Whurple when I have some slowly-moving blue bars of impatience to watch. 3D printer content? Why, it's got a 3D-printed slinky vase on the top! :D

Whurple is testament to what can be done for about £400 when building a pc. It's actually turned out to be a really quite fast and also lovely little machine. The wife loves it! There was a thing she had to fill out to meet certain criteria for home working and I saw her flexing her watercooled credentials to her IT department. :D

Man of Honour

It goes over the build of my 75 quid i3 printer as well as it's subsequent fire and rebuild :D You think I would have learnt by now that cheap chinese stuff is a risk. I have but I can't help myself!

That vase is also printed on a v6 direct drive chepo hot end/extruder using a 0.8mm nozzel and 0.54mm layer height at 40mm/s print speed. Printed it in like 30 mins :D

Soldato
You did there are a couple of rolls of TPU which I have never printed with before, I have also never printed with ABS either. There is also a single mystery roll!! This bad boy has no labels or anything, it was in with a roll of PLA in one of those clear bags...

This is the roll:

What I can tell you is that its white and 1.75mm. After that I have nothing... Could be ABS, could be PLA, could be something else :)

Pull it and see :)
If it stretches it's flexi stuff :)

I need to find a new hobby. Pity there is only 2 kinds of 3d printer.

Man of Honour
Pull it and see :)
If it stretches it's flexi stuff :)

I need to find a new hobby. Pity there is only 2 kinds of 3d printer.

Your not wrong as cool as those resin ones are! Well the machine didn't last long. It died after 15 mins and I haven't been able to resurrect it. Have had to order a new board for delivery first thing.

Man of Honour
Couldn't be the gfx card or the particular PCI-E slot?
Any onboard gfx just to test with?

Wont even take power. its as if there is a short. Psu spins for half a second and turns off, looks like its hitting overvoltage protection or something. Tried the power supply in an old board, fires straight up. Must be the board. The board also fires up without the gpu. but nope. Stripped it out of the case and tried it with just memory and the cpu.. it doesnt like that either.

Ordered 2 boards and just hope one turns up tomorrow. Mrs will just have to use my machine for work for the day. Paid 15 quid for pre noon on the boards. I just hope one of them has the cpu in the same position.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well, that sucks. I guess the question is whether the cable killed the board or the board killed the cable. I guess it's kind of academic since both are fried. Might be worth putting a multimeter on all the voltage pins of the PSU (jump start it with a paperclip - yeah, I've got the proper dongle for doing it too...but you can only ever find it when you DON'T need it!) just in case that's out of whack. Although if it is, its only intermittent or it wouldn't have worked long enough to fry the board too.

Soldato
OP
Is it worth checking the board for stains (burn marks) around the VRMs? Also the inside of the PSU for the same. Just in case there's some evidence that the PSU is guilty/not guilty.

Man of Honour
Is it worth checking the board for stains (burn marks) around the VRMs? Also the inside of the PSU for the same. Just in case there's some evidence that the PSU is guilty/not guilty.

With a couple of new boards coming tomorrow I will find out pretty quickly I think :) I guess we just wait and see. The new boards are better than the current one. Which to be honest looks fine and i see no signs of damage. If it doesnt power up tomorrow ill strip the psu from my machine and see what she does.

It did power up after the issue for a bit but when I came back to it an hour or more later it was dead.

Man of Honour

Yep board is a gonner as is the CPU.. Excuse for ryzen 3000?... Have rebuilt it on a b450 Aorus M which to be fair is a better board than I had in there and it supports the RGBEEEEs which the asrock 450 didn't, the cpu was also bumping up against power delivery (rather than thermals) constantly which I don't think will be the case in the new board. Problem now is I have another 2 boards on the way an MSI and another ASrock and I don't need any of them :D

Ahh well this has turned into a pain.

Edit - Bought a ryzen 3600 with a bit of luck that's the job done.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom