random candle making help

Associate
It's a friends birthday coming up. at the moment, she's into candles...

I thought it would be nice to make her a candle. My idea is to make it in an empty drinks bottle. I.e a glass bottle.

now I realise that the candle will be almost impossible to light once the wick has burned anywhere away from the bottle neck, but I'm hoping it will be more of a decorative piece.

as I have never made a candle before I have a few questions.

1. is it safe to make in a glass bottle
2. what am I going to need? (i.e candle making beads? or can I just melt down old candles?)

I've looked around and got a basic idea of what I need to do, just after any tips off anyone who might have experience....

thanks!

Soldato
I have pictures in my head of the result:

1306595511022s.jpg

After a quick google it does seem like it would be more hassle than it's worth :(

Man of Honour
Yeah.

Apparently when candle wax melts it loses something that means it can't form up properly again.

Candles are now made by mixing chemicals, the major one is stearin (which allows them to be molded IIRC). These additives are lost when the wax melts the first time, so it doesn't work properly if you try to form up melted wax.

It's amazing the rubbish I learn when our lass fails at something :)

If you are definitely going to try, get pre-mixed paraffin wax with stearin. Expect to ruin at least one pan.

Associate
It is possible to do this - You can use Soy wax, smells better, easier to work with. You can also get dyes and scents to do the job properly.

Anyway, simple enough, get a wick, dip it in the wax and let it dry. Blob of superglue on the bottom of the wick holder and glue it to the bottom of the bottle. Give it time to dry, then pull it taught, without pulling hard enough to pull the wick out. Then, melt your soy wax, add dye and scent if you like, mix and then pour. Something the size of a wine bottle will take about 48 hours to fully dry. It'll take you about an hour or so to do if its your first ever candle and you take your time with it.

Oh, put the wine bottle in the oven at its lowest setting for a few mins before you pour - this will help stop the wax shrinking away from the inside of bottle as it cools.

Might want to try http://www.4candles.co.uk/ - Seem to be about the best selection/range when it comes to home made candle stuff.

*Edit - Forgot to say, to position the wick holder, get a bit of long thin wood, and use some wax to hold the wick holder on it. Then, once the superglue drys, just give it a twist, the wax will give before the superglue does.

Back
Top Bottom