Raptor X 150GB Pre-Order Now!!!

Soldato
Available to pre-order now, we have the latest hard drive from Western Digital - Raptor "X" 150GB WD1500AHFD 10,000RPM SATA 16MB Cache. This drive has the same features as the enterprise 150GB WD1500ADFD Raptor but now has a clear lid exclusive to WD allowing you to see the internals of the drive while they work.

Pre-order this drive now if you want to get them first!

Soldato
pabloB said:
I'm sorry, but that's utterly rediculous. How can you see the window when it's in most cases anyway?

Am I the only one that doesn't really get this concept?

I share your inability to comprehend spending money on a window no one will ever see lol

SiriusB

Soldato
The window doesn't bother me, some people will pimp their rigs :rolleyes: however what does bother me is the MTBF of 600,000 hours as opposed to 1,200,000 hours of the server version. I'm not sure, but I read TLER (Time-limited error recovery IIRC) will not be on the Raptor-X but is on the server version - useful for those running RAIDs of these.

Ken

Ken

Associate
I hope this doesn't become the norm with manufacturers sacrificing performance, reliability, silence, whatever it is, for aesthetic reasons. I think the majority of enthusiasts couldn't care less about the window. Clear cases don't seem that popular and I doubt people with aluminium/steel cases will fork out the £40 extra and cut out a window from their top panel with the Raptor X mounted on the top 5.25" drive bay. It seems the Raptor X isn't going to appeal to many. :confused:

Associate
Look. It's just another choice - like everything else that is available but you are not interested in, you are free to move on. Whatever turns you on.

As for sacrificing MTBF for having a useless window... wouldn't be the first time someone put practical benefits down the loo for cosmetic reasons (breast enlargement comes to mind - good to look at, not so good to hold - apparently :p)

Besides, the picture of Raptor X made me realise (for the first time) just how small the platters are. I knew they were smaller than 7.2k drives, but I didn't realise they would be the size of Gwen Stefani's bosom :o They seem to be about 50%-60% of the size of 7.2k platters.

Associate
jhmaeng said:
Besides, the picture of Raptor X made me realise (for the first time) just how small the platters are. I knew they were smaller than 7.2k drives, but I didn't realise they would be the size of Gwen Stefani's bosom :o They seem to be about 50%-60% of the size of 7.2k platters.

a ha a reason to spend a ludicrous amount of money on this drive!! Sorry just being cynical.

Soldato
thier just targeting a different market, hoping all the case pimps out there will use the drive and have a bit of pr through it. Remember the orac case, you can be sure that would have had a couple of raptor X's in there if they'de been around. And look at the publisity that got.

Back
Top Bottom