Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Commissario
The 8Gb model will be really handy for people who want to use it as a proper daily desktop computer. I have no need for it, the two Pi4s I've got are both 2Gb and I'm not even using all that.

Soldato
Also, new version of 32bit raspbian

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

Out of interest, what version is Chromium on now in the latest desktop version?

For a few months, the repository for Pi Chromium remained a really old version..

Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ dpkg -l | grep chrom
ii  chromium-browser                      78.0.3904.108-rpt1                     armhf        Chromium web browser, open-source version of Chrome
ii  chromium-browser-l10n                 78.0.3904.108-rpt1                     all          chromium-browser language packages
ii  chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra          78.0.3904.108-rpt1                     armhf        Extra ffmpeg codecs for the Chromium Browser
ii  libchromaprint1:armhf                 1.4.3-3                                armhf        audio fingerprint library
ii  rpi-chromium-mods                     20200510                               armhf        Raspberry Pi-specific mods to Chromium

Don
Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ dpkg -l | grep chrom
ii  chromium-browser                      78.0.3904.108-rpt1                     armhf        Chromium web browser, open-source version of Chrome
ii  chromium-browser-l10n                 78.0.3904.108-rpt1                     all          chromium-browser language packages
ii  chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra          78.0.3904.108-rpt1                     armhf        Extra ffmpeg codecs for the Chromium Browser
ii  libchromaprint1:armhf                 1.4.3-3                                armhf        audio fingerprint library
ii  rpi-chromium-mods                     20200510                               armhf        Raspberry Pi-specific mods to Chromium
How about the help, about section? :)

It has been seemingly stuck on version 78 for months. No update from the guy who looks after that repo.

It's a pain for browser based kiosks

Soldato
Soldato
Having some issues with my Pi. It's a Jellyfin server and works fine. Sometimes when I try and stream from it or SSH the next day, I am unable to connect.

It still shows on my router as being there but connection is not possible.

Using Raspbian and Pi is on WiFi. Is there some sort of power management that I'm missing?

Soldato
I'm trying to get away from ethernet as much as possible.

The only thing I'm stuck with is the Phillips Hue bridge which needs to be connected to Ethernet.

Is it possible to plug the ethernet in the Hue, into a Pi and have that connect wirelessly? I could hide the Hue away then just near a plug socket

Associate
With a raspberry pi (zero w), is it possible to have this set up as a "resource" to run scripts? (Like a work queue).

Example, on pi is a script that does xyz. A main pc sends a command which triggers the pi to run the script and do xyz eg create a log file?

Soldato
Quick PiHole question.

Kids are meant to be doing school work at home but get distracted by YouTube. Can I block YouTube on a per device basis on command? So I can quickly unblock it once I see they have done their homework?

Soldato
Hello guys, I am working on this small project to make a safe pc for my banking, I got few small issues, I am running raspbian os, and I Am trying to disable the eth0 lights as I want the pc to be on all the time, i managed to disable the act and pwr LEDs but cannot find any way to disable the ethernet lights, anyone knows? I also want to disable the machine going to sleep and try to encrypt the SD card but one project at a time, I am fairly new to Linux so please be gentle, I saw online I need to compile my own kernel to disable this, id rather put a tape over the leds if it's not easily done by some command.

Soldato
Anybody switched to USB boot over SD card? I was thinking of giving it a try with an SSD I have laying around. I'm only using my Pi as a Plex Server though so I don't think it'll make much difference.

Does anybody know a way to do a SD card copy from the terminal? As I'm running headless but all the guides are using Raspbian GUI

Back
Top Bottom