Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Soldato
The Pi 4... Can it run Crysis? Well, actually, yes. (but not very well)

This is using a very basic DirectX9 to OpenGL wrapper. The Hardware is already Vulkan 1.0 compliant, so it's only a matter of time before the framerate improves. Box86 is being used as an x86-ARM translator, so there is performance to be gained there as well.

EDIT: Here's a few more interesting ones:

Last edited:
Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Hi Guys n gals.

Im about to ask some noob questions so apologies!

Ive had lots of RPI's over the years, but only as media devices. Now they are redundant, so i'd like to get in to a bit of programming, i think ive still got a kit with motors and sensor and what not from years ago.

Just wondering tho, could i just set the RPI with a ethernet & power cable and SSH into it from a PC and write all the code that way? is the Pi2 still ok to learn about coding and ultimately do some funky stuff with home automation etc.

Associate
Hi Guys n gals.

Im about to ask some noob questions so apologies!

Ive had lots of RPI's over the years, but only as media devices. Now they are redundant, so i'd like to get in to a bit of programming, i think ive still got a kit with motors and sensor and what not from years ago.

Just wondering tho, could i just set the RPI with a ethernet & power cable and SSH into it from a PC and write all the code that way? is the Pi2 still ok to learn about coding and ultimately do some funky stuff with home automation etc.
Yes.

With my PI Zero, I never actually connected a display to it. All my development was done on my macbook through ssh (tmux and vim too of course). All I did was:
1. Flashed the os on the SD card.
2. Created an empty file called ssh on the boot partition (https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/remote-access/ssh/) That enables sshd on the pi when it first starts up.
3. My pi had wifi, no ethernet, so I set this up on the card too https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/headless.md) That connected the pi to my wifi when it first starts up.
4. Stick sd card into pi, turn on. Check your router UI to find out the IP of the pi. SSH in (u: pi, p: raspberry). Account has sudo by default.

I don't see any reason why 1,2,4 wouldn't work the same on your Pi2.

Last edited:
Soldato
Worked on my pi a bit today, was getting annoyed with managing packages for two versions of python so I updated my base distribution to bullseye which removed 2.7. The ethernet connection went down in the process so I found a keyboard and mouse and sorted that but then FTL in pihole wouldn’t start properly. I switched from pihole to adguard home and also took the opportunity to move the underlying vpn in pivpn from openvpn to wireguard. Things are working nicely now.

Soldato
For the life of me I can't get OpenVPN or Wireguard working on my Pi4. Going to try on my 3b+ today and if that works fine I know it's some other program running on my Pi4 that's causing the issue.... Man I really wished I used Dockerr before setting it all up.

Soldato
Turns out my Virgin SuberHub got reset and wasn't out back into Modem Only mode, so forwarding ports on my router did nothing - Putting it back into Modem mode sorted it all, so that's good.

Now I've got a 3B+ and a spare 2TB drive which I'm going to hook up as a NextCloud.

First time doing NextCloud so any advice is appreciated

Associate
Had a bit of fun with the old Pi NoIR Camera last night, tried MotionEyeOs out with it, am pontificating spying on the Hedgehogs to find out how many we actually have in the garden each night.

Soldato
I finally opted to buy a usb to sata adapter to boot my pi from SSD. Unfortunately the microsd card was struggling to keep up with I/O and was causing further performance issues.

It's magnitudes quicker with SSD now.

Associate
I finally opted to buy a usb to sata adapter to boot my pi from SSD. Unfortunately the microsd card was struggling to keep up with I/O and was causing further performance issues.

It's magnitudes quicker with SSD now.
Can you recommend the adaptor and perhaps a link ?
Thanks

Soldato
Finding my Wireguard/PiHole invaluable. Added wireguard to the phones of several older members of my family... Now I just need to remember not to mess about in a live environment :p

Actually have 4 Pi 3s sat on my desk, was going to use them at work for a Screenly digital signage install but may keep one back as a secondary PiHole

Soldato
Thanks
Not sure if I can link to it but Pimoroni have one for £6. I bought a Sabrent one from Amazon and had loads of problems with it. It turns out the SSD wasn't getting enough juice through the adapter so I got the one on Pimoroni and all good since then.

Soldato
Thanks

It's a starlink on amazon, the 3.0 version. Just under £12.

Home Assistant did report some under voltage, and I did buy a powered usb3 hub, but weirdly enough it stabilised so hasn't been needed - Will keep it as a just in case now.

Associate
Thanks to you both I have been using HK on a pi3b and thinking of maybe trying HA but reading up its recommended to use an ssd

Associate
My old mate from Middlesbrough Uni is selling me his Pi 400 with all the bits for £50. All being well I should pick it up on Sunday.

I've already got a few setups in mind. I think my first will be Pimega as I was a massive fan of the Amiga back in the 90s. Once I get to grips with the pi I would like to setup Retropi.

Associate
My old mate from Middlesbrough Uni is selling me his Pi 400 with all the bits for £50. All being well I should pick it up on Sunday.

I've already got a few setups in mind. I think my first will be Pimega as I was a massive fan of the Amiga back in the 90s. Once I get to grips with the pi I would like to setup Retropi.
Nice, i had hours of fun setting mine up on retro its rather suprising how far tech has came..

All those games on a tiny device!

Associate
My deal to buy my mates pi 400 fell through as he is keeping it :(

To make it worse a pi 4 with the desktop kit and some sd cards had a buy it now price of just £45 but had sold.

I'll just have to keep my eye out.

I’ve a question.

https://youtu.be/sq95BnswPZo

I plan to build this but with a either a single audio file or a couple. Yet to workout.

What I want though is for the audio to be played say every 5 mins but it’s going to be connected to a radio using VOX as the trigger/input.

So as per the video I need the pi/player to run play the audio then stop as they radio then will stop broadcasting due to no audio output. Then after 5 mins start playing again.

Any ideas what command for that

Associate
I’ve a question.

https://youtu.be/sq95BnswPZo

I plan to build this but with a either a single audio file or a couple. Yet to workout.

What I want though is for the audio to be played say every 5 mins but it’s going to be connected to a radio using VOX as the trigger/input.

So as per the video I need the pi/player to run play the audio then stop as they radio then will stop broadcasting due to no audio output. Then after 5 mins start playing again.

Any ideas what command for that
You could set up a Cron job to run every five minutes for ffplay and if you want to play only a certain duration of audio, pass the -t to ffplay?

Back
Top Bottom