Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Soldato
I am using...

Edimax EW-7811UN Wireless 802.11b/g/n 150Mbps Nano USB Adaptor

From Amazon for about £10

I got the same one, came in the post today and boy was it a pain to setup in wheezy, but I must admit that it was my fault. There's a script to download and run to make life easy.

But after a day of managing workgroups in terminal, I setup the wifi connection using my old router settings, major user error as that's now in the bin and I spent an hour undoing the script manually. But rewarding once I fixed my own boo boo.. :) I think I know that script backwards now.

But it works great if your not dumb like me.

Not sure if this has been posted before... but here's site to add your pi to a world map to show the location of pi's
Pi Map

Last edited:
Soldato
We've tried the remote apps for iPad and android devices, but would be nice to have a 'proper' remote.
Any ideas?

I use -

Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver for Home, Premium and Ultimate Edition

Its plug and play with xbmc no messing about.

Soldato
I've asked a mate at work to get me a RS Components pi case from fleabay as I don't have an account. Its the nicest one I've seen; personal taste but it looks like I can just use the bottom half as a backing plate.

Worth a look if anyone wants a case but feels that they want access to all the pins inside too.

Associate
I had loads of problem getting my wireless dongle working so I used a dd-wrt flashable router and I use it in client mode. It connects to my wireless network and shares the wireless out over the ethernet port and is rock solid.

Man of Honour
This turned up today:

sept16.jpg

sept17q.jpg

sept18.jpg

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I don't own a keyboard. I've managed to set up a fully functioning headless raspbian setup. Raspbmc likewise (not headless and with a mouse).

Thank goodness for ssh!

Caporegime
I don't own a keyboard. I've managed to set up a fully functioning headless raspbian setup. Raspbmc likewise (not headless and with a mouse).

Thank goodness for ssh!

I tried SSH'ing but it wouldn't accept it, I can't get the latest windows installer either as the download is corrupt?!

Caporegime
Got it up and running and my remote works when it's on my bedroom TV, however the lounge TV appears to be the configuration from hell.

I spent most of the night trying to get Viera link to work when in the end, it was the sodding HDMI cable.

Problem is, my Pi is going to stay on constantly, when the A/V equipment is turned off it loses the hdmi-cec thing, it needs a disable/enable for it to re-detect the TV. This is obviously a pain in the posterior as I want it as seamless as possible.

Anyone got any ideas?

Soldato
Got it up and running and my remote works when it's on my bedroom TV, however the lounge TV appears to be the configuration from hell.

I spent most of the night trying to get Viera link to work when in the end, it was the sodding HDMI cable.

Problem is, my Pi is going to stay on constantly, when the A/V equipment is turned off it loses the hdmi-cec thing, it needs a disable/enable for it to re-detect the TV. This is obviously a pain in the posterior as I want it as seamless as possible.

Anyone got any ideas?

Are you disabling/re-enabling on the tv or the pi?

I've been rebooting, so this would be easier for me :)

Associate
I have the exact same issue. Did you solve this in the end?

Kernel/Firmware update has improved the speeds somewhat up to 3 Meg, it's not consistent but it's good enough so I've stopped looking into it. I'd be interested to know if you find anything out though.

Caporegime
On my Panasonic remote only up, down, left, right, ok and return do anything over hdmi-cec.

This means that once I start a movie playing, I have no way of pausing it or returning to the menu, is there any way to rebind buttons?

This is the remote:

105_panasonic_tx37lzd80_fb.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom