Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Soldato
Nah ill pass it up for now and wait for the 1gb model :D

not possible as they would have to change the whole processor.. :D

Gert van Loo on October 15, 2012 at 2:12 pm said:

Will there be a 1GB model? No!
Several posts ask if there will be a 1Gb model.
The answer is a resounding NO! The reason is simple: there does no exist a 1Gb PoP memory which fits the BCM2835. Also the memories and the interface are of the type LPDDR2. There has been no new development in that category in the last years. All manufacturers switched to LPDDR3 and DDR3. So you do not have to wait for more memory. 512Mb is all you will get.

Associate
If I was to run the raspberry pi headless using ssh over an ethernet cable is it command line only or can I somehow display the gui from the pi onto my main desktop?

Soldato
Great news on the 512mb upgrade. I've ordered one to complement my existing two! Hopefully openelec/xbmc will make good use of the extra ram.

Associate
Soldato
If I was to run the raspberry pi headless using ssh over an ethernet cable is it command line only or can I somehow display the gui from the pi onto my main desktop?

You can use X11 forwarding to a unix machine or setup putty on a windows machine or like I've done, is to using Microsoft terminal services and use remote desktop for the GUI.

Soldato
From what ive been reading yes it should work - Ive got a samsung tv too just waiting for the delivery of my pi!

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=22965371&postcount=1756 that video is a samsung telly (its sad that i can recognise the remote!)

Nice. Will get a Pi ordered!

I have been reading around and for power a Blackberry charger seems popular. Anyone here use one?
Also I am only going to be using a 1tb portable would it be best plugging direct into board or using a powered USB hub?

Soldato
The Pi doesn't output enough current over USB to power an external hard drive, so you'll have to use a powered USB hub.

Not true, especially now that they have removed the 500mA efuse's from the USB ports on the 512mb revision.
Provided you have a fairly hefty 5v power supply for your Pi (2A+) then powering 2.5" drives from a single USB port shouldn't be a problem.

Soldato
What power supply would you recommend mate?
The blackberry one isn't 5v I don't think will have to check it.

Have placed an order for my Pi but it looks like its a long wait time now with the huge influx of orders they have had for the new one.

Have ordered my case and SD card which will be here soon so just a waiting game for the Pi itself.

Soldato
What power supply would you recommend mate?
The blackberry one isn't 5v I don't think will have to check it.

Have placed an order for my Pi but it looks like its a long wait time now with the huge influx of orders they have had for the new one.

Have ordered my case and SD card which will be here soon so just a waiting game for the Pi itself.

I favored the powered usb hub.
Two usb is very limited, once you have your wifi dongle, your left with one to use. Even if you only plan to remote into the pi, you don't have a power switch on the pi itself and some usb hubs do.

Its odd but since the pi is so basic, I found that I tend to want to plug more usb devices into it than any other computer of mine.

I have plugged into it:
wifi dongle
usb external hdd
arduino uno (at times)
bluetooth dongle (at times)
microsoft keyboard
microsoft mouse

I also have a micro usb y cable, that powers it directly from my computer (mac) when I'm doing basic stuff.

Caporegime
What benefit will 512mb bring? XBMC works fine on the Rev A model.

Hi

You’ve probably heard that the Raspberry Pi now ships with 512MB of RAM. I’m here to tell you about what that means for Raspbmc as so many of you have been asking, and help clear some things up.

First off, and most importantly, Raspbmc is going to support both 256MB and 512MB boards indefinitely. There is absolutely no reason why one distribution cannot be fine tuned for both boards, and as such, no compromises need to be made in terms of development. There’s no need to feel left out if you have a 256MB board — count yourself lucky to have a Raspberry Pi! It’s going to be rocking Raspbmc for a good long while I hope.

Now, will this new board work in Raspbmc out of the box? Yes. Will it be optimised? You betcha. I’ve already made the necessary optimisations to bring the best out of both Pis. I will compile my changes in a day or two — but the bottom line is Raspbmc will be able to detect the amount of memory the Pi has and configure the bootloader and system tunables accordingly without any additional setup.

So many are asking if this board will make Raspbmc faster. Not exactly, but the increase in GPU memory will come in handy for decoding fanart, and most likely, help support more fanart intensive skins. Furthermore, the additional RAM will come in handy if you use the Pi for multiple services, such as Raspbmc’s integrated TVHeadend or Samba servers. Additional memory here will let you run these services smoothly without worrying about running out of system memory during playback.

Should I upgrade? That very well depends on what you are doing. If you know your bottleneck is RAM, it may be an idea. But for most people who claim to have choppy 1080p playback, your issue may be that you are streaming a high bitrate video over SMB. This can peg the CPU high as SMB has a high level of CPU overhead in comparison to lighter network protocols, such as NFS. If the CPU is the constraint, then this memory upgrade is unlikely to yield much of a performance upgrade.

I hope this answers your questions sam

Commissario
Ordered a Pi from Farnell on Monday, it was delivered yesterday and it was nice to see it was the 512Mb version. I know why I bought it, it was following a presentation on them on Sunday but I really don't know what I'm going to do with it.

Associate
Ordered a Pi from Farnell on Monday, it was delivered yesterday and it was nice to see it was the 512Mb version. I know why I bought it, it was following a presentation on them on Sunday but I really don't know what I'm going to do with it.

Thats annoying ive ordered 2 from farnell first was on the 1st oct and the second was last monday and ive had niether yet!

Back
Top Bottom