Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Soldato
Ordered a Pi from Farnell on Monday, it was delivered yesterday and it was nice to see it was the 512Mb version. I know why I bought it, it was following a presentation on them on Sunday but I really don't know what I'm going to do with it.

Ay? I didn't realise the 512mb was out now, I thought this was coming out in due course.

Ordering another now then!

Associate
Thanks I'm going to get one but was wondering what do you need to get with it as people on the net say you need powered usb hubs and stuff to run external hdds?

Associate
To get a simple system going, you only need the following:

- Power Supply
- SD Card
- Keyboard & Mouse
- Video cable (HDMI or Composite depending upon your TV)
- Network connection (ethernet or WiFi dongle)

Once you have a bit more knowledge then you can add or remove items from the above list depending upon what you are trying to achieve.

Soldato
Tempted to replace my two Pi's with 512 MB ones but I don't know if it is worth it.

Would I be able to sell my current 256MB ones or will they be seen as worthless rather than just worth less now?

Thanks,

G

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like I'm going to have to format my pi and start again for a 3rd time now with raspbmc. It crashed after I stopped playing some music, after power cycle it seemed to do an update and is now locked in a "relax, XBMC will start shortly" message on a white screen, followed by the raspberry pi logo, and back to the white screen with relax again. Next time I format it and reinstall raspbmc I'm turning off the updates on restart, it's bugged me twice now.

Thought i'd give this thread a little bump...

I've got a Pi on the way courtesy of easyrider, and in addition to a RaspBMC box (is that the right term for something so mini?) I'd like to get some old school emulation on the go.

Has anyone set up Retro/Emulation Station etc. on their Pi? Particularly using a 360 controller, as that's my plan.

Soldato
Looks like I'm going to have to format my pi and start again for a 3rd time now with raspbmc. It crashed after I stopped playing some music, after power cycle it seemed to do an update and is now locked in a "relax, XBMC will start shortly" message on a white screen, followed by the raspberry pi logo, and back to the white screen with relax again. Next time I format it and reinstall raspbmc I'm turning off the updates on restart, it's bugged me twice now.

I had similar over the weekend trying to install latest RC. I ended up using an older installer version and worked first time! How odd.

Soldato
I had similar over the weekend trying to install latest RC. I ended up using an older installer version and worked first time! How odd.

It looks like I have to find an old version too. I tried to reinstall it on the assumption that the loop it was stuck in was due to a bad patch or something, but even with a fresh download/install from the website it is still stuck in a 'relax, xbmc will start shortly...' loop.

Associate
I was close to picking one of these up when I was first told about them from my friend last week, it's so cheap for XBMC that I want to get one now, just after seeing a few teething issues I think I'll wait a little bit first before buying one.

Soldato
Thought i'd give this thread a little bump...

I've got a Pi on the way courtesy of easyrider, and in addition to a RaspBMC box (is that the right term for something so mini?) I'd like to get some old school emulation on the go.

Has anyone set up Retro/Emulation Station etc. on their Pi? Particularly using a 360 controller, as that's my plan.

I've used RetroPie to setup an Amiga emulator. A USB competition pro joystick works perfectly. Sensible Soccer and Speedball 2 on a Pi on an HDTV, anyone?!

Back
Top Bottom