Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

That's exactly what I'm talking about. :D

I'm particularly interested in getting MAME up and running for some Metal Slug style action too. Straight forward enough to set up and integrate?

Is it just a case of dumping the right emulator lib into the path and setting up the config file? Ideally I want a big menu of emulators, that then drills down into the games.

Soldato
Seems like the right thread to ask this.

I've got a pi running xbian and samba sharing to the user mic (password xyz)

Now when I map a network drive in windows to the PI the and login as user mic I can read / write to the PI's SD card.

User mic can see an external usb drive under media/usb

The user can also see the usb drive if it's mounted. However the user mic can only read the usb drive, not write.

Basically how can I mnt the usb to allow the user mic to have 777 permissions?

Cheers for any tips!

Soldato
Seems like the right thread to ask this.

I've got a pi running xbian and samba sharing to the user mic (password xyz)

Now when I map a network drive in windows to the PI the and login as user mic I can read / write to the PI's SD card.

User mic can see an external usb drive under media/usb

The user can also see the usb drive if it's mounted. However the user mic can only read the usb drive, not write.

Basically how can I mnt the usb to allow the user mic to have 777 permissions?

Cheers for any tips!

you need to edit "/etc/fstab" to allow read and write to the drive. There's plenty of sites that shows how to. Not sure if i can post a link to one on here, but just google setting up a file server.

Soldato
Got my 512mb Pi this morning along with a nice transparent case. Wireless keyboard/mouse worked out of the box with Raspbian, bit slow though. Just waiting on some new home plugs so I can get xmbc set up, unless anyone knows of a full image I can download anywhere?

Also, probably a daft question but will it output audio over HDMI?

Just install XBMC on Raspbian, on phone at the moment but I'll get you a link shortly.

Installed xbmc and RetroPie today, just need to write a shiny front end to menu the two and the media/retro game box is complete. :D

Edit - yep, audio over hdmi no probs.

Soldato
Hi guys. I've just bought the model B Pi off the MM and I have clue how to set it up and what software to use so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Basically it's just to play 1080p Bluray rips and is a replacement for my recently sold PS3, i'll be using my PC for everything else. I guess what i'm after is some lightweight software with VLC installed and that'll do me?

Also I only have the PCB and need a case as i'm not too keen on it being so bare, a keyboard & mouse combo (i think?) to use the thing and I think that's it.

Ta.

Starting to get a bit narked off with the Pi's awful 140mA limitations on the USB ports, everything has to run through a USB hub otherwise I get:

Connection drop outs streaming video from a network share (have to restart the whole networking stack)

Keyboard key repeats and unresponsivenessssssssssssssss (annoying)

General weirdness, unresponsiveness, locks ups etc.

I'm debating bridging the fuses, or doing the wiremod. Anyone done this yet?

Soldato
Starting to get a bit narked off with the Pi's awful 140mA limitations on the USB ports, everything has to run through a USB hub otherwise I get:

Connection drop outs streaming video from a network share (have to restart the whole networking stack)

Keyboard key repeats and unresponsivenessssssssssssssss (annoying)

General weirdness, unresponsiveness, locks ups etc.

I'm debating bridging the fuses, or doing the wiremod. Anyone done this yet?
Havent they changed this in the new version?

Soldato
Hi guys. I've just bought the model B Pi off the MM and I have clue how to set it up and what software to use so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Basically it's just to play 1080p Bluray rips and is a replacement for my recently sold PS3, i'll be using my PC for everything else. I guess what i'm after is some lightweight software with VLC installed and that'll do me?

Also I only have the PCB and need a case as i'm not too keen on it being so bare, a keyboard & mouse combo (i think?) to use the thing and I think that's it.

Ta.

Anyone?

Soldato
I've recently had an issue when the cpu was on load the pi would crash, well I think it would as I only connected to it via ssh. I think the issue is caused by the running the cpu at a higher mhz as its only started occurring since I've updated the os.

I've started using my blackberry charger to power the pi rather than a Y USB cable and it seems to have resolved the issue.

I think a rebuild of OS is needed but I'm going to wait until the next release of the OS before a wipe and start again.

Soldato
Will do. Which one of the two is the least resource hungry? Don't want any stuttering and slow UI if possible. Does the model B play back 1080p files O.K and can I install VLC on these Linux things?

Soldato
Anyone know a decent alternative to raspbmc? I think I may give up on it now, I've tried several times now and it just gets stuck in a loop when booting up, saying relax XBMC will restart shortly, then the main logo, then back to the relax screen.

Soldato
what keyboard layout is correct for my mac keyboard? 90% of the time I'm ssh into it in CLI mode so it doesn't bother me, but I've installed basic now and trying to run it in gui and its all wrong. :( lol.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Oh I have the tiny bluetooth mac A1314 keyboard.

Soldato
Anyone know a decent alternative to raspbmc? I think I may give up on it now, I've tried several times now and it just gets stuck in a loop when booting up, saying relax XBMC will restart shortly, then the main logo, then back to the relax screen.

I have heard of one called openelec I think. But never tried it because raspbmc is flawless here.

Only time I have ever has issues with it is when the psu wasn't good enough.

Back
Top Bottom