Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Associate
Anyone know a decent alternative to raspbmc? I think I may give up on it now, I've tried several times now and it just gets stuck in a loop when booting up, saying relax XBMC will restart shortly, then the main logo, then back to the relax screen.

I had trouble with Raspbmc, so went to OpenElec, is a pretty cool distro.

Followed this guide here using linux, but there is a Windows installer too:
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Installing_OpenELEC_on_Raspberry_Pi

Associate
I've given up with raspbmc for now. Never works smoothly enough (or at all sometimes after updates)
The Pi has been put to use running squeezeplug to feed my squeezebox touch with music from a usb hd. Works very well. Now i dont have to have main pc switched on just to listen to tunes. ;)

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Got my 512MB Pi running this morning. Having to run headless for now as my monitor is VGA only and I don't own a TV with a HDMI port....or a composite port....or even own a TV at all :D VNC'ing into it from my main PC instead.

Associate
Ordered a Pi from Farnell on Monday, it was delivered yesterday and it was nice to see it was the 512Mb version. I know why I bought it, it was following a presentation on them on Sunday but I really don't know what I'm going to do with it.

Have you found a use, yet?

Anyone know a decent alternative to raspbmc? I think I may give up on it now, I've tried several times now and it just gets stuck in a loop when booting up, saying relax XBMC will restart shortly, then the main logo, then back to the relax screen.

I had the same thing a month ago and found a simple fix on the raspbmc forums. If you're still stuck i can dig out a link, for you :)

Soldato
Anyone using a USB drive with their Pi, formatted in ext4?

I'm currently only getting ~1.8MB/sec using ntfs, but if formatting to ext4 will give it a speed boost I will.

Edit:

Now using ext4 and transferring at ~3.3MB/sec, better, but still rather slow! Solutions?

Last edited:
Associate
Decided to get myself the (edimax) wifi adapter that others had mentioned and used to good effect, then thought why stop there in untethering the pi from wall/ground attachments:

wireless_pi.jpg

How long do you reckon I could squeeze 12000mAh? Almost a full day?

Associate
Decided to get myself the (edimax) wifi adapter that others had mentioned and used to good effect, then thought why stop there in untethering the pi from wall/ground attachments:

wireless_pi.jpg

How long do you reckon I could squeeze 12000mAh? Almost a full day?

At least 35 hours, using a very rough calculation I made :p, depends on the voltage of its internal battery.

Associate
Got about 19-20 hours out of it, pretty good if I have any out-and-about uses for it and not sure that was a 100% full charge either :)

@kmax86 Yes, exactly that one. Using still the original (as of about April anyway) rasbperry pi distro and just followed some instructions for installing the driver for it, rebooted and was good to go.

Back
Top Bottom