Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Associate
Got two of these now.

First one is just running raspbmc in my bedroom.

The other one runs get_iplayer as a cron job every day at midnight and automatically downloads all the BBC shows I want to watch straight to my nas drive. It also runs a small web app on nginx that I use for my business stuff and automatically backs up the database to a remote location each night.

Associate
That's what my plan is too, although I've yet to get it working. If you manage it, please share how you did it! :) What webserver have you gone with?

At first I tried nginx (first time using it) as its light weight, which it is :) however setting up php (and some extensions) was being an utter arse, and also the rewrite rules where odd. So I reverted back to a LAMP stack which was easy to install and tbh not noticed any issues with speed as some people have claimed.

As for the application server, I will probably use Tomcat when I get round to installing it.

Associate
My flatmates just bought me one as a late birthday present!
The other components should arrive today (SD Card, PSU etc)

Planing to build a mini laptop that has a 2.4" screen (which I may end up into an mini Arcade Cabinet :p)

Associate
Hi

Just got my RPi set up using raspbmc as I want to get rid of our VirginMedia box upstairs and run it all through the RPi. I can get iplayer and 5demand working but not 4OD or itvplayer - does anyone have the latest links for those?

Also I guess there isn't a one size fits all catch up browser yet where I can browse the last 7 days of all catch up tv?

Sorry for all the questions I am a bit of a noob at this,

Cheers,
Imps

Associate
I got one today, I tried running Raspbmc on it, its fine but I can't get audio to come through. Im using a HDMI cable. Ive searched online but all of the fixes are hard for me to understand (being a Linux noob)

Soldato
I got one today, I tried running Raspbmc on it, its fine but I can't get audio to come through. Im using a HDMI cable. Ive searched online but all of the fixes are hard for me to understand (being a Linux noob)

You gone into System and made sure audio is set to HDMI? You don't have anything plugged in stereo jack do you?

Soldato
I am interested in turning a raspberry pi into a media centre, i.e. loading it up with films so i can just plug it into my TV. Would just still require a net connection? Is there a way for it to pick up wireless?

Associate
You gone into System and made sure audio is set to HDMI? You don't have anything plugged in stereo jack do you?

Yeah im still not getting any luck, I just connected my headphones to the audio jack and they work fine. This is really starting to annoy me

Edit.

Got it working, hopefully this lasts

Last edited:
Caporegime
I am interested in turning a raspberry pi into a media centre, i.e. loading it up with films so i can just plug it into my TV. Would just still require a net connection? Is there a way for it to pick up wireless?

Yes it works with a wireless dongle

Best thing is to install raspbmc and plug in an external drive for content or point it to a network share with media content.

Associate
got spotweb running on the Pi
can get it to install what it needs and i can run the install wizard all works fine ,but i need to put a file on the Pi .
the file is dbsettings.inc.php. its the final peace ,been at it for seven hours and my mind is hitting a big blank and am a noob to this
can any one help a noob

if am not allowed to talk about spotweb delete it please

Last edited:
Associate
got spotweb running on the Pi
can get it to install what it needs and i can run the install wizard all works fine ,but i need to put a file on the Pi .
the file is dbsettings.inc.php. its the final peace ,been at it for seven hours and my mind is hitting a big blank and am a noob to this
can any one help a noob

if am not allowed to talk about spotweb delete it please

Simplest way I can think of is to use Putty from a windows machine to access the pi via telnet/ssh.

then use vi to create the file and copy and paste the content before saving.

Back
Top Bottom