Rate your driving ability

Man of Honour
Well I'm obviously a 10 in all situations - to be honest its a damn travesty Subaru employed Petter Solberg again this year, it's quite obvious that I, or indeed some of the other people in this thread, would have been a better choice.

Man of Honour
Enfield said:
I don't think im a driving god, i just think im aware and drive smoothly, nothing else.

You rated yourself 10, this equates to 'driving god'.

I doubt there is ANYONE in here who can honestly say they are above a 7 in any of this stuff bar a few genuinelly capable drivers.

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox said:

I doubt there is ANYONE in here who can honestly say they are above a 7 in any of this stuff bar a few genuinelly capable drivers.

I agree 100%.

The only ones I would say I am over 7 are for observation and awareness, and rules of the road.

Anyone else I reckon would be sorely dissapointed or shocked if they went round with a professional racing/professional driver analysing their driving. A lot of people are kidding themselves, which is no wonder why there are so many prangs or accidents on the roads.

Man of Honour
Exactly, I'd probably still only rate myself a 7 for observation and anticipation and I'd put money on my skill in that area being better than Enfields as I've been driving longer and have also passed my IAM test which almost entirely focuses on perception etc...

Associate
1) 8
2) 6
3) 5 (drive an Auto so no don't realy have brilliant clutch control in the limited times I do drive manuals)
4) 4
5) 5
6) 7
7) 6
8) 5

Trying to be honest, Wouldn't say I'm a bad driver by any measure but I'm also not perfect. (never crashed and been driving for 6 years so I can't be to bad, I do drive to fast everywhere (usally because I'm late!))

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:

Making me aware of stuff still doesn't make me a good driver. I still have a lot to learn...

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox said:
Exactly, I'd probably still only rate myself a 7 for observation and anticipation and I'd put money on my skill in that area being better than Enfields as I've been driving longer and have also passed my IAM test which almost entirely focuses on perception etc...

The reason I think I'm 8 or so on observation is owing to riding a bike - it REALLY helps a lot. I'm not saying my IAM has made me a really uber safe 100% great driver, however it has made me more humble of my skill and what my skill is REALLY like in the real world. If I compare myself to a rally driver I'm way down at the bottom. Despite over 8 years of driving, 8 years NCD, Pass Plus, IAM and a few track and skid pan days, as well as nearly 3 years of bike riding.

Anybody who even gets close to 10 is really kidding themselves IMO. But hey it's the internet - we're all driving gods here ;)

Sod it, I'm 10 everywhere :p

Man of Honour
Enfield said:
Making me aware of stuff still doesn't make me a good driver. I still have a lot to learn...

Everyone has room to improve. You have rated yourself 'godlike' in several areas - this suggestions perfection, no room for improvement.

You are not the only one, just the one I noticed first.

We had this last time we posted - the scale was 1 for Maureen 10 for Schumacher and the amount of people who actually rated themselves the same as Schumacher was just hilarious.

Talk about over-confidence in your own ability.

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Everyone has room to improve. You have rated yourself 'godlike' in several areas - this suggestions perfection, no room for improvement.

Thats me ! :D

ahahahahaha

EDIT: I'm sure I replied to one of the threads we had like this before sensibly.

Well, if I were to be big-headed, i'd say that I'm pretty good at being aware - not pro-driving like, obviously.

My driving is quite smooth but only at normal speeds, (I don't drive fast). It probably, nope, most probably won't be smooth at high speeds!

I can blip down all the gears as quick as I like rather smoothly but whats the point in doing that unless you want to show off ;) I always blip every time I go down a cog, it's fun and I do it automatically now. (I was doing it as a learner too when my dad taught me to drive). But I can't H&T. So atm, when I want to brake and go down the gears I blip, go down a cog, brake, and so on. That isn't very smooth without the H&T but I make it as smooth as possible.

I think these type of threads shouldn't have the number rating, but instead we should explain our strong and weak points.

Oh yes, I rated myself 7 on the green code, cross code thing whatever you want to call it! I've never even read it! :p Still I know what all the road signs are, you'd have to be a numpty not to.

Last edited:
Soldato
1) General awareness/anticipation - 6
2) Parking ability - 5
3) Brakes/Clutch control - nice and smooth or bucking bronco - 6
4) How patient and courteous are you to other road users - 8
5) What is your knowledge of the Highway Code - 6
6) High speed control of your car in dry conditions - 5
7) " wet/icy conditions - 5
8) Your ability to correct your car when out of shape - 6

I'm no Schumacher and I'm not going to argue otherwise. I'm distinctly average in all respects and I only drive to extent of my abilities.

My awareness is OK, I rarely have to really brake hard or avoid things.

Parking is OK, but I will avoid reverse parks and parallel parks unless I have to.

I'd say I was a fairly smooth driver, but you'd have to ask my passengers!

I'm a very patient driver, and always say thank you unless I'm mid gearchange!

My Highway Code knowledge isn't bad, but it's been 10 years since I did my test so I'm bound to be rusty.

High speed control? I know my cars well enough to drive quickly, but I don't think I've ever seen the limits of the car on a UK road at speed in the wet or dry

I've had a car out of shape many times (old Clio was very light FWD with no weight over the rear + poor rear tyres = WHOA BABY!) and not pranged it, but I think it's been luck rather than judgement.

Man of Honour
Enfield said:
Oh yes, I rated myself 7 on the green code, cross code thing whatever you want to call it! I've never even read it!

You've never even read the highway code, infact, you don't even know what its called, yet you rate your proficiency at knowing it as 7?

You really have such an overinflated opinion of your abilities.

I bet I could show you NUMEROUS roadsigns you wouldn't know about, trouble is it only takes 20 seconds to google for them :(

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
You've never even read the highway code, infact, you don't even know what its called, yet you rate your proficiency at knowing it as 7?

You really have such an overinflated opinion of your abilities.

I bet I could show you NUMEROUS roadsigns you wouldn't know about, trouble is it only takes 20 seconds to google for them :(

I was joking.

"Don't be a plonker all your life, Rodney" :D

Soldato
merlin said:
I can't resist any longer, it's rate your driving ability time! :)

Give yourself a mark out of 10 for the following : -

1) General awareness/anticipation

6 - OK. Probably above average but deteriorates with my mood

merlin said:
2) Parking ability

6 - OK. Usually in first time. When I first started driving though I hit a pillar at a multi-story car park :o

merlin said:
3) Brakes/Clutch control - nice and smooth or bucking bronco?

7 - Good

merlin said:
4) How patient and courteous are you to other road users?

4 - Could do with improvement. I often let people go and try to be courteous but if I'm met with a 40 mph Crusier, someone who really drags, tail gater or people doing stupid things I get rather cross

merlin said:
5) What is your knowledge of the Highway Code?

6 - Pretty good

merlin said:
6) High speed control of your car in dry conditions

7 - Pretty good if I know the road. I've done some stupid things in the past though

merlin said:
7) " wet/icy conditions

5 - Always slow down as I'm not that good

merlin said:
8) Your ability to correct your car when out of shape

5 - Needs improvement. Can correct if back end comes out on a roundabout (and have done in wet conditions) but failed when lost control on a corner (ended up hitting a lampost and writing off my car)

I've tried to be honest as everyone thinks that they are a better driver than they really are.

Often I'd say I'm better than average, and I've been with friends who have done stupid things and been saved by their driving aids/sheer luck

I'm not that good as shown by the fact that I've written off a car recently. I'd like to be a good driver so I'm looking at the various track days, skid days and the Advanced Institute of Motorists tests

Soldato
I dont believe any scores above an 8 on here...

My father was an advanced police instructor, pursuit training instructor, and he would rate himself around the 9 level for awareness etc, 10 implies perfection... and there is no such thing...

Like for example, someone rates themself a 10 for clutch control and says they try to make it smoother... you cant if you are perfect already...

I would rate myself around a 7 in all categories with the above as a teacher, 24 years experience on the road, 34 years of racing, and 30 years on a bike....

But I am as honest with myself as I am with you ;)

:D

Soldato
merlin said:
2) Parking ability
7) " wet/icy conditions

1. 8
2. 8
3. 7
4. 6
5. 5
6. 7
7. 5
8. 6

Man of Honour
These threads all make me laugh. I'll try and rate myself honestly, and I'll be willing to bet there's a lot of people who would rate themselves higher than me..... To be honest I doubt it. Like Dr Who, I wouldn't rate myself much above a 7 in most things, maybe an eight in awareness (having been taught speed driving on roads by a police pursuit instructor), but it would be barely an eight and probably rounding up rather than down.

Even at that, I'm probably over-estimating myself. Those who have been out with a true professional driver will know what I mean. I think I'm pretty good, but I've known people who totally blow my skill out of the water, and they know people who blow their skills out of the water, and so on....

The biggest problem that plagues our roads is overconfidance in your own abilities.

Soldato
merlin said:
2) Parking ability
7) " wet/icy conditions

1) 10. I know when people are about to cut into my lane or when a kid is about to jump off the kerb in front of my car. Lucky for him...

2) 8.5. I park in a very small garage everyday and need to take my passenger wing mirror within a cm or so of the wall. At work I reverse into a tight space and if I go too far there is a little sticking out kerb that would hit my expensive new exhuast. This is also on a slope Hence I dont go too far!
I dont reverse fast though, Im not the best at that (although I dont see the point anyway).

3) 9. To drive a Civic VTi smoothly you need to be good on the clutch, I found it hard at first. It's taken me a long time to get this good and its only because I drive everyday.

4) 5. Very impatient of mistakes and I've gone OTT before with the horning and flashing of my lights. But, Im not as bad as some people on the road!
I also let people out of junctions quite a lot and dont tailgate people so thats why Im going for a 5.

5) 7.5. Knowledge is pretty good, although not perfect. I design roads for a living so perhaps Im a little more familiar with priority in certain situations than most people.

6) 8. Very good control in the dry, and I like to drive fast and test the cars limit a lot of the time. Ive had quite a few quick cars now too. Havent done any track driving so cant claim more than an 8.

7) 7. Pretty good in the wet and Ive driven in ice a few times. ABS doesnt help me much in the ice.

8) 8. Very good, although the car is easy to correct. The rear started to come round the other day and I didnt have any trouble correcting it. Dont get into this situation much but when things go wrong I have enough years of experience to automatically react and put it right without even thinking.

So im not too modest, but Ive been driving 8 years with no accidents and I dont drive slowly :D

Good thread!

Back
Top Bottom