Rate your driving ability

Soldato
Dolph said:
Of course it doesn't make you Bruce Lee 2, however it would give you an advantage and additional knowledge against someone who hasn't had that kind of training. You learn new techniques and new ways of looking at things, quite possibly including things you've not considered before.

Doesn't necessarily make you better for it though does it? You can be taught and shown a lot of things, but not everyone takes it onboard. It's possible to be taught above your understanding and/or talent. Having a great teacher that has uber skills doesn't automatically equal a matching student.

Associate
1) General awareness/anticipation - 10
2) Parking ability - 10
3) Brakes/Clutch control - nice and smooth or bucking bronco? - 10
4) How patient and courteous are you to other road users? - 4
5) What is your knowledge of the Highway Code? -5
6) High speed control of your car in dry conditions - 10
7) " wet/icy conditions -10
8) Your ability to correct your car when out of shape -10

Soldato
OP
Bash said:
2) Parking ability - 10

Jenson? Is that you?

Soldato
I'm confident of being a good driver, although living in London hasn't helped me in being courteous to others, and I'm hoping to become a driving instructor in the next year or so. Not had a lot of experience with a car being out of shape, perhaps because I control it so well in the first place ;).

7 - General awareness/anticipation
8 - Parking ability
8 - Brakes/Clutch control - nice and smooth or bucking bronco?
3 - How patient and courteous are you to other road users?
8 - What is your knowledge of the Highway Code?
8 - High speed control of your car in dry conditions
7 - " wet/icy conditions
6 - Your ability to correct your car when out of shape

Associate
1) General awareness/anticipation - 9 ( a decade or so on bikes might have helped here)
2) Parking ability - 6 I can if I have to, but I'd rather walk an extra 50 yards than squeeze into a tight space!
3) Brakes/Clutch control - nice and smooth or bucking bronco? - 7
4) How patient and courteous are you to other road users? - 4 and 7 - I'm quite happy to let people pull out, make life easier for lorry drivers etc, but I get too annoyed with jerks and cretins :(
5) What is your knowledge of the Highway Code? - 7
6) High speed control of your car in dry conditions - 7 mostly because I don't push it too hard
7) " wet/icy conditions - 7 (see 6)
8) Your ability to correct your car when out of shape - 7 but I try very hard not to have to!

Alan Woodford

Soldato
Bash said:
2) Parking ability - 10

New driver? :)

I was a little like that when I first passed. Lost control of the car but didn't manage to crash a few weeks after I passed. Promptly crashed the car a month or so later

I was an idiot and a bad driver. You don't know until you really do loose control of the car unexpectantly or someone pulls out in front or a pedestrian walks off the road or something

Soldato
9 - General awareness/anticipation
9 - Parking ability
8 - Brakes/Clutch control - nice and smooth or bucking bronco?
5 - How patient and courteous are you to other road users?
6 - What is your knowledge of the Highway Code?
6 - High speed control of your car in dry conditions
4 - wet/icy conditions
5 - Your ability to correct your car when out of shape

Soldato
Bash said:
2) Parking ability - 10

LMAO!

Soldato
Hmm, here goes:

1) General Awareness - 6. It used to seem a lot better, but I feel myself allowing for a reaction now. Might just be experience kicking in.
2) Parking - 6. Never been particular good, really. Although I always get in without a lot of effort, just usually on the 2nd try.
3) Brakes/Clutch - 7.5. Despite driving a car with a 120k clutch and over-sharp pinching brakes, I feel quite proud of bringing the car to a stop smoothly by releasing the braking pressure before the car has halted to raise the nose and stop the suspension wrenching the car. With clutching, I can pretty much smooth out every gear change when at very low and high revs alike.
4) Patience - 8. I'm very patient with other road users if they are courteous. I'll very often flash people out of junctions if I think they are hesistating, use my hazards to thank, waving and ALWAYS give way to people indicating. I almost go in to the crazed opposite mode, though, when people don't indicate or barge others out of the way.
5) Highway Code - 7. I'd say it's pretty comprehensive. Certainly enough for day-to-day use without problem.
6) High Speed Control - X. Haven't really ever been able to try it. My car has so little grip in any conditions its hard to judge. If I'm making quite rapid progress I'll use a racing line where at all possible and start making a concerted effort not to flex the suspension or make abrupt movements.
7) Adverse Speed Control - X. Same as above, really.
8) Car Correction - 6. I've had some understeer moments that I've managed to correct by overriding instinct and turning less rather than more, but nothing much amazing.

Overall - 6.5 / 7. I'd like to think so anyway :p

Man of Honour
Simon said:
What sort of things do you learn sat next to a policeman anyway?

Mainly, observation and anticipation skills. It's an eyeopener that covers things you don't learn on the track because they aren't relevant there, but they are on the road.

It's the same kind of thing in many ways that the IAM teach, but with a different focus.

Lowe said:
Doesn't necessarily make you better for it though does it? You can be taught and shown a lot of things, but not everyone takes it onboard. It's possible to be taught above your understanding and/or talent. Having a great teacher that has uber skills doesn't automatically equal a matching student.

This is true, but if you take it in, it will improve your driving. The driving test doesn't represent much at all in terms of good driving techniques, it presents a minimum standard that all drivers are supposed to reach. Someone who had done additional training (with anyone) should be better than someone who has not, unless they haven't learnt anything at all.

Soldato
1) General awareness/anticipation - 8
2) Parking ability - 8
3) Brakes/Clutch control - nice and smooth or bucking bronco? - 7
4) How patient and courteous are you to other road users? - 6
5) What is your knowledge of the Highway Code? - 6
6) High speed control of your car in dry conditions - 7
7) " wet/icy conditions - 6
8) Your ability to correct your car when out of shape - 7

Man of Honour
Anyone who has awarded themselves 8 or above for something is either a liar, vastly overestimated their ability, or tragically wasted in their office job when really, Ford Rally GB would be pleased to hear from them.

Caporegime
Dolph said:
Mainly, observation and anticipation skills. It's an eyeopener that covers things you don't learn on the track because they aren't relevant there, but they are on the road.

It's the same kind of thing in many ways that

I think that some of that is natural ability, a lot of people can't walk down a street without walking into people.

Driving fast on a track and driving on a road are two very different scenarios that's for sure so I can't see how persuit driving helps track driving

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
[TW]Fox said:
Anyone who has awarded themselves 8 or above for something is either a liar, vastly overestimated their ability, or tragically wasted in their office job when really, Ford Rally GB would be pleased to hear from them.

Exactly why i have rated myself so low in lots of area's, these threads always turn out the same, with people vastly overestimating how good they are at whatever the subject is. The same sort of thing is happening in the car handling thread.

Fact is that most young people are going to still very much be at the start of the driving learning curve.

Don
[TW]Fox said:

yeah im erring on editing mine, although I do believe I'm an awesome snow driver! as many people have commented over the years :D

Back
Top Bottom