Rate your driving ability

Associate
[TW]Fox said:
Anyone who has awarded themselves 8 or above for something is either a liar, vastly overestimated their ability, or tragically wasted in their office job when really, Ford Rally GB would be pleased to hear from them.

Why must they? They might be good?

Associate
[TW]Fox said:
Anyone who has awarded themselves 8 or above for something is either a liar, vastly overestimated their ability, or tragically wasted in their office job when really, Ford Rally GB would be pleased to hear from them.

Or, in my case been paranoiacally watching out for people pulling out in front of them since well before you were born, young Fox :p

Seriously, yes I do think my observation and anticipation is that good, and I've got 300,000+ miles without hitting anything to back me up.

(but I'm SURE the years of biking helped :D )

Alan Woodford

Man of Honour
Simon said:
I think that some of that is natural ability, a lot of people can't walk down a street without walking into people.

Driving fast on a track and driving on a road are two very different scenarios that's for sure so I can't see how persuit driving helps track driving

It doesn't help in track driving at all, that's why I said they aren't relevant there.....

It does help for fast road driving though, and for helping you be aware of your speed vs the prevailing conditions.

I would also agree with you about some of the awareness/observation skills being natural ability, some people simply can't get it no matter how much teaching they have, and some people are much better at it than others (I know there are people better at it than I am, for example)

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:

I don't know about everyone else, but I was rating myself based on people in my age group.

I've been told numerous times that I'm a much better and aware driver than lots of my friends. I don't, for a minute, think I'm on parr with people such as merlin or Simon who've had years of driving high powered cars :)

Caporegime
Will Gill said:
no offence to Simon but I think you just gave his rover and unfair ego boost :p
:p Keeping it in a straight like takes the skill of a Jedi I'll have you know.

I was the driver for our uni race team if that counts for anything. :o :p

Associate
1) General awareness/anticipation - 7
2) Parking ability - 5
3) Brakes/Clutch control - nice and smooth or bucking bronco? - 7
4) How patient and courteous are you to other road users? - 8
5) What is your knowledge of the Highway Code? - 6
6) High speed control of your car in dry conditions - Unknown
7) " wet/icy conditions - Unknown
8) Your ability to correct your car when out of shape - Unknown

Last edited:
Man of Honour
agw_01 said:
I don't know about everyone else, but I was rating myself based on people in my age group.

Why would you do that? The scale is given in the first post - 1 is Maureen, 10 is godlike.

I've been told numerous times that I'm a much better and aware driver than lots of my friends. I don't, for a minute, think I'm on parr with people such as merlin or Simon who've had years of driving high powered cars :)

I get told it all the time as well, all my friends think I'm the best driver they know and say I'm a very smooth driver. Does this make ANYTHING i do any more than a 7? Of course not.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox said:
I get told it all the time as well, all my friends think I'm the best driver they know and say I'm a very smooth driver. Does this make ANYTHING i do any more than a 7? Of course not.

All my friends say I drive too fast and brake too late, I just ask them if they prefer to walk :p
He usually says no ;)

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Ford Rally GB would love a patient, courteous driver? Wow! :p

Soldato
merlin said:
I can't resist any longer, it's rate your driving ability time! :)

Give yourself a mark out of 10 for the following : -

1) General awareness/anticipation ---- 10
2) Parking ability ---------- 10
3) Brakes/Clutch control - nice and smooth or bucking bronco? ---- 10
4) How patient and courteous are you to other road users? 5
5) What is your knowledge of the Highway Code? 8
6) High speed control of your car in dry conditions 10
7) " wet/icy conditions 10
8) Your ability to correct your car when out of shape 10

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:

Or they are just a fantastic driver.

Like me.

;)

Soldato
ajgoodfellow said:

Yes.

What the fact that i can drive really well is............... bad?
I do it for a living, if it was a questionaire for brain surgeons you'd be praying they had confidence in their ability.

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:

Yeah I hear the special parking stages are inundated with entries.

Back
Top Bottom