• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ray Tracing working on VEGA in Battlefield 5 ? :D

Caporegime
You went too far this time, Gregster will never speak to you again! :p

I am sure he will forgive you once you fix your ways and stop hunting down RTX owners. I don’t think you can do it though. You enjoy that too much. Lol.

Guess all aren’t made with the special stuff like @GordyR who took me on with vigour

Soldato
The ground looks too shiny, so I suspect this has no ray tracing. I noticed in the comparison shots that DXR On makes the ground look duller when not directly lit (as you'd expect) and DXR Off gives everything a weird shine.

Soldato
OP
Not sure here I'll be honest. Tried the changes myself, there might be a small improvement in the reflection but that could be a result of moving from DX11 to DX12....who knows.

One thing is for sure, there's no reflection in windows etc so if it's some form of Ray Tracing it's very minimal or possibly even placebo.

Thanks for testing Tony. Seems the game itself just provides great results from the get go.

Associate
Lol all the Nvidia haters and usual suspects get so excited only to be let down:( What a shame... to be honest guys you aren’t missing anything. My card plummets in fps for minimal quality difference. And I’m not being funny, but when someone is shooting at you in game you don’t have time to stop and check out the reflections.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Lol all the Nvidia haters and usual suspects get so excited only to be let down:( What a shame... to be honest guys you aren’t missing anything. My card plummets in fps for minimal quality difference. And I’m not being funny, but when someone is shooting at you in game you don’t have time to stop and check out the reflections.
The only one that got excited here I think was shanks, everyone else did not take it seriously.

Yeah, pretty much everyone agrees it is pointless in this game. I want to see it done in a single player game. Trouble is, there is nothing coming out any time soon that does anything interesting with ray tracing from what I can see. Shadow of the tomb raider from what I saw was just the shadows cast from people which was underwhelming. The only one that might be interesting is the metro exodus game, but many people said negative things about the implementation of ray tracing in that game.

At least it is a start though. Hopefully we can get some good implementations in a year or so. Got to start somewhere :)

Soldato
OP
I won't lie I would really liked if it did work, anything that brings extra graphics is a plus in my eyes. Am a fan of Physx am not a fan of it being tied to one brand and honestly believe nvidia has killed something good here by buying it for themselves.

The fact if this was working on Vega would have been a massive kick in the teeth for nvidia and that is also a plus in my eyes.

:D

Associate
Ray tracing has always seemed amazing but only for single player/co-op games for an fast paced fps shooter it just distracting and would only make sense to use if it had no effect on your fps and currently it tanks it into the ground so i really see no reason to use it.

Now something like metro on a gsync monitor would be great :D

Caporegime
I won't lie I would really liked if it did work, anything that brings extra graphics is a plus in my eyes. Am a fan of Physx am not a fan of it being tied to one brand and honestly believe nvidia has killed something good here by buying it for themselves.

The fact if this was working on Vega would have been a massive kick in the teeth for nvidia and that is also a plus in my eyes.

:D
I personally wanted it to work on AMD cards and no reason that future AMD cards won't because it isn't NVidia exclusive, hence the name DXR (Direct X Raytracing). The more we can all use it, the more devs will jump on it (I expect) and this is a good thing in my eyes. RT is the future, albeit we don't quite have the power to run it yet or the know how but given time, it will be like turning on tessellation and still getting very good frames (AMD owners wouldn't know about that though (sorry, couldn't resist :D :D))

@easyrider I never hold grudges but please stop with RTX owners hate :)

Caporegime
DLSS appears to just ID textures and apply the most efficient filter. I doubt that will do much for 1080p, which is where we are at with RTX on.
Actually we are not. I play at 3440x1440 and with RT on low but everything else set to max, performance was reasonable with 60 fps on average. With more treatment and better knowledge, performance could be massively improved upon.

Permabanned
Actually we are not. I play at 3440x1440 and with RT on low but everything else set to max, performance was reasonable with 60 fps on average. With more treatment and better knowledge, performance could be massively improved upon.
That's the problem, console performance out of the flagship product.

Soldato

Some side by side on vs off on the ti.
What I have gotten from the video RT On vs Off is like in real-world a person trading off their majority of his running/walking/moving speed in exchange for slightly better eye-sight :p

Definitely hope future games would improve RT to much better and far more noticeable visual and with lower performance hit.

Permabanned
I 100% agree with the guy on this and whilst it does bring a visual plus to the game, the performance hit really isn't worth it.

What I have gotten from the video RT On vs Off is like in real-world a person trading off their majority of his running/walking/moving speed in exchange for slightly better eye-sight :p

Definitely hope future games would improve RT to much better and far more noticeable visual and with lower performance hit.

Yes. The thing is that the nature of ray-tracing requires a huge amount of brute force in computational performance, which means very huge number of transistors and thus silicon die area dedicated for the feature.
Do we want it is the question, in order to move forward?

Soldato
Yes. The thing is that the nature of ray-tracing requires a huge amount of brute force in computational performance, which means very huge number of transistors and thus silicon die area dedicated for the feature.
Do we want it is the question, in order to move forward?
Indeed. Do we want realistic looking lighting, or global lighting that look good enough and running at 3 times the frame rate?

Interestingly, the principle of RT is the opposite of DLSS, as DLSS is trying simulate higher resolution to keep performance high vs actually running at native high resolution like 4K etc.

Back
Top Bottom