• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ray Tracing working on VEGA in Battlefield 5 ? :D

Permabanned
The thing I take from this is how hard it seems to be for users to tell the difference between the ray tracing & space reflection versions, That's enough to tell me I don't need Ray tracing or the performance hit it comes with.

I guess all this confusion proves how little raytracing adds to games at the moment.

Exactly.

Soldato
The thing I take from this is how hard it seems to be for users to tell the difference between the ray tracing & space reflection versions, That's enough to tell me I don't need Ray tracing or the performance hit it comes with.

Exactly.

This is for the /right now/ though. Ray Tracing will be useful going forward, I don't think the 20xx series is that point - but it's a necessary stepping stone for devs to start implementing and experimenting with it. I'm grateful for the early adopters paying the premium for something currently useless so the rest of us can enjoy it later - I'm usually in that pool of people but I'm currently running multiple freesync screens so not really in a position to buy green for my main pc. Perhaps when the 144hz 21:9 HDR screens come down the pipe ;)

Caporegime
I disagree. RT is very noticeable when it is on and does add to the game. Running Rotterdam and seeing all the reflections in the glass/puddles really does add to the games IQ but the performance also does add to the game (or takes from it) and whilst I really do like it, I respect that this is the first time any of us with a RTX card has experienced something like this and I am pleased to see it and do expect more performance in time.

Caporegime
This is for the /right now/ though. Ray Tracing will be useful going forward, I don't think the 20xx series is that point - but it's a necessary stepping stone for devs to start implementing and experimenting with it. I'm grateful for the early adopters paying the premium for something currently useless so the rest of us can enjoy it later - I'm usually in that pool of people but I'm currently running multiple freesync screens so not really in a position to buy green for my main pc. Perhaps when the 144hz 21:9 HDR screens come down the pipe ;)
Spot on!

Associate
Pretty much. Been saying since the announcement of RTX that it's not going to be the way to go for at least two years. Glad they are pushing it but AMD already announced they were working on RT in gaming but it wasn't going to be now and it was going to be an open source solution.

Worth waiting for it to mature and then be applied to more than just reflections. Really looking forward to RT lighting, reflections, refraction and shadowing. Until that point I'll wait ;)

Permabanned

Sure, It will add a lot when we have the hardware to use RT as the main way of doing such things but for now it's limited use is as mentioned elsewhere no more than a demo of what's to come.

Soldato
did anyone really believe that this would work? The developers already said there was no software fallback path and AMD doesn't have any DXR hardware or software for Dx12.

Soldato
did anyone really believe that this would work? The developers already said there was no software fallback path and AMD doesn't have any DXR hardware or software for Dx12.

From a hardware level, there's no reason it couldn't work. I'd expect it to be more of a slideshow on AMD cards than it is on nVidia though.

Soldato
From a hardware level, there's no reason it couldn't work. I'd expect it to be more of a slideshow on AMD cards than it is on nVidia though.

When the RTX cards were announced at Siggraph, there was a company making their own demo game engine on a side event.
They said that Vega 64 & Titan Xp were comparable at 4K with real time rendering and real time ray tracing at 2 rays per pixel at 60fps.
That is almost 10 gigarays. As much as RTX2080Ti has.

I wouldn't be surprised tbh. Given that the card is very powerful on matrix computing also where dedicated tensor cores shine. (around 80-85% of the performance the TV100 has, which costs 20 times more).
So at worst case it would be comparable to the RTX2080 on RT.

Permabanned
When the RTX cards were announced at Siggraph, there was a company making their own demo game engine on a side event.
They said that Vega 64 & Titan Xp were comparable at 4K with real time rendering and real time ray tracing at 2 rays per pixel at 60fps.
That is almost 10 gigarays. As much as RTX2080Ti has.

I wouldn't be surprised tbh. Given that the card is very powerful on matrix computing also where dedicated tensor cores shine. (around 80-85% of the performance the TV100 has, which costs 20 times more).
So at worst case it would be comparable to the RTX2080 on RT.

But, what about the console side of things? Should we look at consoles implementation first and then on PC?

Permabanned
But, what about the console side of things? Should we look at consoles implementation first and then on PC?

That's a good question, Are we likely to see RT used in the Next-Gen consoles? Probably not so it could easily be anywhere from 5 to 10 years before we see ray-tracing used in console version games which puts a big question mark over ray-tracings use for the foreseeable. Undoubtedly it's a sign of things to come but simply put it's not Ray-Tracing's time yet.

Soldato
That's a good question, Are we likely to see RT used in the Next-Gen consoles? Probably not so it could easily be anywhere from 5 to 10 years before we see ray-tracing used in console version games which puts a big question mark over ray-tracings use for the foreseeable. Undoubtedly it's a sign of things to come but simply put it's not Ray-Tracing's time yet.

Actually I think it's probably closer. With rumours of Sony looking to announce PS5 mid next year for a 2020 release, and AMD's coy comments about RT coming but "not yet" - you could be seeing RT support in the next gen consoles.

Look how quickly the consoles jumped to 4k. Granted it's not alway /true/ 4k and uses cheats - but who's to say they can't cheat ray tracing a little to support it :?

Permabanned
Actually I think it's probably closer. With rumours of Sony looking to announce PS5 mid next year for a 2020 release, and AMD's coy comments about RT coming but "not yet" - you could be seeing RT support in the next gen consoles.

Look how quickly the consoles jumped to 4k. Granted it's not alway /true/ 4k and uses cheats - but who's to say they can't cheat ray tracing a little to support it :?

It's possible but I can't see Navi having anywhere near the horsepower needed, From what we're seeing Turing struggles and that's with hardware dedicated to it.

Soldato
If it's true then Nvidia has lied (shocker) and it's down to software capability, not their overpriced GPUs.

Or it's not actually real ray-tracing, but a fake lookalike.

Last edited:
Associate
No reason this couldn't work by my poor knowledge of ray-tracing:
Requires low accuracy calculations, such as 8-bit and 16-bit ops, something which VEGA is designed for.

NVidia probably have some optimizations using their 4x4 Matrix Tensor cores or something to speed it up.

No wonder Turing is huge btw, 4x4 16-bit matrix op per clock :eek:

bru

bru

Soldato
If it's true then Nvidia has lied (shocker) and it's down to software capability, not their overpriced GPUs.

Or it's not actually real ray-tracing, but a fake lookalike.

If it was a fake look alike then that the early ray tracing demo wouldn't of shown the huge gains that it did.

simple-rtx-bench.jpg

Caporegime
@easyrider I never hold grudges but please stop with RTX owners hate :)

:p

It wasn’t really the owners it was more the
Defending RT to the hilt and not being true to the tech. I was getting annoyed and I apologise for hurting you mate .

whilst it does bring a visual plus to the game, the performance hit really isn't worth it.

Yu94vls.gif

Just messin wiv ya bro :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom