1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Razors via subscription

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ultralaser, 20 May 2018.

1. dowie

Capo Crimine

Generally better than the triple blade nonsense that IME gets clogged much more easily.

2. xb8browney

Soldato

This is the truth. After a week they're ready for the bin.

3. Efour

Caporegime

DE shaving will leave you blood soaked while you get used to it.

4. ScoTTyBEEE

Perma Banned

Same. It's better as the blades don't clog up.

5. DB_SamX

Sgarrista

I've not looked back since switching to DE shaving (and a stubble trimmer). Sooo much better in pretty much all aspect.

6. ultralaser

Wise Guy

I have thought about DE but it's not for me (not pun intended).

7. Danm54

Wise Guy

I also only shave once a week and I use a Merkur DE with feather blades and a badger brush.

Been using them for about 7 years now and I'm on my second tub of shaving cream and I buy a pack of 10 blades every year or so.

Must have saved myself a small fortune.

8. Wang Computer

Wise Guy

Double-edge shaving is great - it's very cheap and you get a fantastically close shave.

However, unless you're some sort of pro with it, there's no such thing a quick shave. You have to take your time and treat it and more of an event, otherwise you end up with some nasty cuts. For that reason, I gave it up and went back to guarded razors.

9. Begbie

Capodecina

I can shower, shave, **** and be out the door in 10 minutes with a DE. Never cut myself either.

10. Wang Computer

Wise Guy

That's awesome. However, perhaps I wasn't as adept as you or potentially have more difficult skin/facial hair.

My 'traditional barber' initially recommended the DE razor to me as they sell them directly to customers. After I informed him of my decision to stop buying, he seemed to suggest that many people had reported the same issue. I would suggest the OP tried them, but I'd say that they're not for everyone.

11. Begbie

Capodecina

I agree. I only learnt due to my laziness, I've got pretty sensitive skin too, I guess I'm just lucky though.

12. peige

Mobster

This.

Haven’t looked back from changing, my skin is better, my shave is better and I’ve saved a fortune.

13. Telecaster

Soldato

That is the exact reason why I went DE in the first place. Regular disposables and electric shavers can't cope with a weeks worth of growth for me, they either pull it out or get clogged up in 30 seconds and end up useless.

DE just glides through it, especially Feathers.

As previous poster, I bought a block of 100 Feathers a couple of years ago for about £20 and am only about half way through it. Brilliant VFM even when you factor in the cost of a Merkur Futur.

14. Mobius 1

Capodecina

As previously said, a DE razor will glide through a weeks worth of growth, even two weeks. And won’t clog up either.

I’ve now stop wet shaving personally and use a trimmer instead. But I swore by my DE razor. Best thing I ever bought. And tbh, didn’t take me any longer to shave with that razor than say a Gillette.

It may seem a little daunting at first, but once you’ve done a few shaves with it you’ll fly through a shave in five minutes. I very rarely cut myself either, usually that would be down to going over a spot or something.

As for badger brush etc, I never used one more than once. I just lathered up shave gel or cream in my hands and applied it that way. Worked just as well. (Gel is easier as you can see what you’re doing)

Edit. Although, I had the best results using Ingram shaving cream, in the white and blue box. Very cheap too.

15. Monkeynut

Soldato

Just bought a DE razor kit for myself using my Nectar points. Hopefully as good as everyone reckons.

16. Zatoichi.uK

Mobster

Ha same from eBay.

I remember going in Sainsbury's one day years ago and seeing 3 Gillette blades for £10. Researched DE and haven't looked back since. Bit of a learning curve but totally worth it.

17. Tinders

Soldato

I switched to DE back in 2011, took me about 3 shaves to learn the skill. I can easily do a quick shave with a DE, the same as i would with a gillette disposable.

I never really got a nice shave with the mach 3/4/5 back in the day and i can get a better level of shave with one pass of the DE. If i want a good shave, 2 passes are sufficient for me.

18. Andy__C

Hitman

Same here, i bought some.mega pack of blades yeara ago and it never looks like i've dented the box. I change the blade after each shave as well as a luxury...... DE shaving is so cheap!

Its rare that i never spill blood though, i must have a tricky face..... or chin and adams apple - its.always the same.two spots that end up bleeding.

19. Spook187

Sgarrista

Grow a beard and use throw away blades to trim the neck, subs for shaving just lol.

20. Finglonga

Wise Guy

I have used Harrys and stopped the subscription immediately. When I have used all the blades I will try another one as they come with a razor with a blade fitted plus 4 more blades usually, when I have used all them I will try another and so on until there are no new ones to try.....probably 20 odd years as they pop up all the time and they at the moment are £2 to £5 so it is cheap shaving.