Re:External Network HDD...now this is better!

Soldato
That does look pretty decent mate, Netgear makes god stuff (got a Netgear Wireless router and have had no problems with it) so I reckon thats a pretty decent buy myself, I dn't know what others think, am tempted to get one myef, take out the 2 x 120 gig IDE's I've got in my PC now and shove them in one of those.

Associate
OP
Well I've gone and bought the Netgear SC101 now. I also bought a new 160Gb Maxtor SATA II for the PC. It means I can start by putting my old IDE's (120Gb and 40Gb) in the Netgear and sharing all MP3's and videos with the kids, as well as having storage and backup space. Total space now of 320Gb for £130 seems reasonable to me.
Quite looking forward to getting it and setting up my home LAN.

Associate
Gilbern74 said:
Well I've gone and bought the Netgear SC101 now. I also bought a new 160Gb Maxtor SATA II for the PC. It means I can start by putting my old IDE's (120Gb and 40Gb) in the Netgear and sharing all MP3's and videos with the kids, as well as having storage and backup space. Total space now of 320Gb for £130 seems reasonable to me.
I've heard some negative stuff about the Netgear, can't remember the details, except that I think it needs a special client program running on each PC that wants to access it and transfer speeds were not that impressive.

Let us know how you find it.

I'm considering the Linksys NSLU2 that connects USB drives to the network.

Soldato
Gilbern74 said:

The only reason I'm thinking about it is that currentl I've got 4 HDD's in my system, did a quick tota up and I've got a total of 720 gig HDD space and one very hot PC with all those drives running !!

Associate
I have been looking at this myself, seems ideal for my home network.

However seems to be some teething probs with it.
Check out the Netgear Forum.

Forum

Hope you have better luck. :D

Associate
It's annoying that you can't get affordable NAS solutions like this for SATA drives. The cheapest 4xSATA NAS I've seen is well over £400, empty.

I don't understand why they're so much, you could build a mini ITX PC for that, with a RAID PCI card and drives...

Back
Top Bottom