1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Read/Write access to new partition

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by blue_harvester, 27 Feb 2006.

1. blue_harvester

Hitman

I just created some logical drives within an extended partition on my Thinkpad. I created these using the Admin account but when I log on as a normal user I get a 'Access denied' message saying 'Make sure the disk is not full or write protected'.

Any ideas?

2. Otacon

Capodecina

Sounds like NTFS permissions to me (though by default users should have that sort of access). From your admin account, go to the security tab of the volume properties and allow 'Users' some control.

3. blue_harvester

Hitman

How exactly do I do this? I tried right clicking on the drive and going to the Sharing and Security option but there's no security tab on this dialog, just a Sharing tab.

4. Whitewater

Mobster

Open "Windows Explorer", go to "Tools", then "Folder Options". In "Folders Options" go to "View", untick "Turn on simple file sharing (recommended)" (it's the last one in the list) and click "OK". You should now be able to follow Otacon's steps above.

5. blue_harvester

Hitman

Thanks guys, got it sorted.