1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ready Player One (2018)

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Somnambulist, 22 Jul 2017.

1. Somnambulist

Capodecina

Spielberg. Much-loved book. Pop-culture, the movie!

2. Toadem

Gangster

Just seen that trailer, it looks really good.

3. 5punk3monk3y

Mobster

Read the book and looking forward to this. Spielberg has also added twists not in the book to the movie to keep it fresh.

4. MadMossy

Soldato

Looks good, can't wait for it, being a VR nutt myself I can see that's where the future is going :)

5. Torquar

Hitman

That looks ace :D.

6. Zefan

Don

I've read the book, and from the trailer it looks good in the parts that have stayed faithful to it, and really nailed what I imagined. The stacks and Og's birthday party look perfect to me. I'm not so keen on the bit with the crazy car chase/destruction derby, that wasn't in the book and I can't help but think it's been shoehorned in to give it that "blockbuster" effect that is seemingly essential nowadays, given the popularity of Transformers/Marvel/DC/Insert City Getting Destroyed by Team of Good Guys vs Interdimensional Bad Guy Movie Here.

7. Bickaxe

Sgarrista

Looks good.
    The chase scene threw me as I can't see where that would fit in VR but as Cline was involved then I'm okay with it.
    Wonder which parts they will cut?

8. HeX

Capodecina

I'm just hoping they've managed to acquire enough pop culture cameos to make this as good as it should be. The trailer was good but rather lacking in that department (only recall seeing Iron Giant, Delorian, Light Cycle), hopefully they are just keeping stuff out of the trailer to stop spoilers.

9. dalepearson

Hitman

Loved this book, the trailer looks good, but hope they have captured it all and not just popped added flare.

10. antijoke

Caporegime

Will watch just for the DeLorean

11. aardvark

Sgarrista

meh, i adored the book but this looks like cgi garbage ala transformers.

i hope they don't screw it up.

i wonder how much they have had to change it though, especially getting the rights to certain things.

12. Willir

Hitman

This looks brilliant, looking forward to seeing this in IMAX.

Spotted a good few easter eggs in the trailer.

Freddy Krueger
    Harley Quinn & Deathstroke
    Tron Light Cycle
    Akira bike (I think)
    Iron Giant
    Delorean

13. Amp34

Caporegime

Agreed, both the two book set pieces look perfect, but that race scene...?

Considering the bunch of guys presumably working for IOI in the race it can only be as a replacement for one of the gate challenges?

14. PlacidCasual

Soldato

That was my assumption, some of the gate challenges may not be thought of as good movie material so they replaced it with some more Michael Bay.

15. MookJong

Sgarrista

The world before he puts the headset on is exactly how I envisioned it. The VR world however is not what I gleaned from the book at all and I'm not sure what to make of it. I think there will be quite a difference between book and film. This looks far far more Transformers than I had in mind.

I think they have aimed it at millennials and not 30 somethings who remember the actual 80s references.

16. FlukeRogi

Wise Guy

If you freeze frame the trailer at about 1:46 when the IOI avatars are getting in their cars, there's an orange text display on the right that says "win the copper key".

From what I've read elsewhere (and whether it's true or not), Wargames was one of the IPs they couldn't get (apparently why the Iron Giant has also replaced Ultraman).

At least Ernest Cline co-wrote the screenplay, so hopefully even though there are going to be changes (there was always going to be due to all the licensing), it will be ones he's had a hand in.

17. wolfie138

Mobster

looks garbage.

18. Pyr0m@nI@]{

Hitman

Doubt I'll enjoy it as much as the book

19. VincentHanna

Capodecina

"Holy grail of pop culture"

That doesn't even make sense.

20. oweneades

Sgarrista

I loved the book but I am really not sure what to make of the film from the trailer.

As mentioned already the city chase scene was a bit W T F?!

I am also concerned that some of the slower pacing at the beginning of the book (unravelling the mystery) will be lost in an attempt to shoe horn in more explosions.