Ready Player One (2018)

Caporegime
Gf was raving on about this book for days trying to force me to read it, but I am not a big reader at all sadly.

Her reaction to the trailer was hugely mixed, some was right bit a lot was just wrong.....

Soldato
Gf was raving on about this book for days trying to force me to read it, but I am not a big reader at all sadly.

Her reaction to the trailer was hugely mixed, some was right bit a lot was just wrong.....

Audiobook mate, Im currently listening to it while im on the train to work so i get about 3hrs a day from it.

Caporegime

I think she's right, look pretty terrible to me. Mainly I hope they make the story more interesting and believable. I read the book and really enjoyed it, listened to it again about 6 months later once I had taken the nostalgia blinkers off and the story is just terrible. I wish I'd never gone back to it again, the utterly lazy writing on clues and finding them is beyond terrible. The film looks like it might actual kill what little love I have left for the book.

Man of Honour
The latest trailer is so much better than the previous one. It's interesting to see how they're messing with the story a little, for example it looks like the the hunt starts during the story rather than it being already underway at the beginning of the book. Also, rebellion? What rebellion? Pretty sure I don't remember that.

Soldato
Yeah looks like they're adding lots of new elements and losing some of the old ones. Now I have high hopes it is Spielberg after all but I loved the book and worry I'm going to be disappointed by the butchery required for screen. For instance the book had a real World thriller element which I fear will be replaced by an action element. I understand the limitations the run time places but please don't let them bugger it up as bad as All You Need Is Kill which was a brilliant book and a meh film (Edge of Eternity).

Soldato
Looks good....but only if you aren't familiar with the book.

I listened to the audio book and had such a clear image of the world that was created. This looks nothing like it and I doubt it looks anything like the world most people had in their head. For me the references to Joust and War Games were a huge draw early on in the book. It's a shame this is aimed at a younger audience and all the detail will be lost from the film.

Soldato
hmmm, this is looking worse and worse to me - the nostalgia was the only thing good about it really and it looks like its been lost to a bunch of modern cgi guff.

more Michael Bay than Spielberg.

Soldato
more Michael Bay than Spielberg.
Sadly this seems to be the case.

That said the second trailer was better than the first. As somebody who knows nothing about the story the whole 'hook' of the Easter egg and him getting hunted in Oasis was lacking in the first one, so I was wondering what the big deal was. Now those storyline parts are shown in the second trailer at least it shows some interest.

Don
Saw this earlier tonight at an advanced screening. I enjoyed it very much, but then I very much enjoyed the cheesy gaming pop culture references littered throughout the movie.

Soldato
I'm in a real quandary, I've not read the book but would like to but do I read it before watching the film which might spoil the film, or do I watch the film first which could ruin the book??

Any thoughts?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Read the book,

Its very easy reading, and lets your imagination run somewhat.

The nostalgia is its main drive and joust will always be a **** game :)

Back
Top Bottom