Ready Player One (2018)

Caporegime
So an 80s nostalgia trip has been extended until the 2018s in order for modern kids to be able to say oh look it's tracer from overwatch here's my 10 quid entrance fee?

Has he gotten carte blanche on Disney characters too? Surely you gonna need a few to be in there too...

Associate
So an 80s nostalgia trip has been extended until the 2018s in order for modern kids to be able to say oh look it's tracer from overwatch here's my 10 quid entrance fee?

Has he gotten carte blanche on Disney characters too? Surely you gonna need a few to be in there too...
To be fair, the book allows for all that. The point is that the creator of the simulation who set up the Easter egg hunt was an 80s nostalgia geek and so that will be the focus of the hunt.

If someone wanted to simulate ancient Greece inside the OASIS then that is completely possible and it has no need to be related to a video game. The book explains that people simulate workplaces in VR due to their miserable existence in the real world.

Associate
Gf was raving on about this book for days trying to force me to read it, but I am not a big reader at all sadly.

Her reaction to the trailer was hugely mixed, some was right bit a lot was just wrong.....
I'm not a big reader either. After being at work all day I prefer to lay back and **** my eyes so audible has been nice to just listen to books instead. Try that for free for the first month.

Caporegime
Well I really enjoyed it, was a lot better than I thought it was going to be based on what people said about the book.

I really want to read the book now so I can do how much difference there is.

Soldato
Well I’m looking forward to this on Thursday. I’m listening to the audio book read by Will Wheaton and as the 80s was my formative decade, ages 12 to 22, it really does strike a cord for me.

The 1980s was the best decade bar none.

Caporegime
Just saw it.

Pretty good ! We had another group of 30/40 somethings sitting behind us and they laughed at all the same references and gags too, which was nice.

I think it could have gone way more geeky/gamey 1337.

Decent enough characters. I really liked the virtual skull dude henchman.

Yeah solid film, one of the better I've seen this year so far.

Really nice action scenes, especially the race to central park.

Really nice, recommend to anyone 30+ :p

Soldato
Was ok

Visually the CGI was brilliant, the easter eggs a good homage to gaming/pop culture geeks...the actual story line was a bit generic and lightweight

Soldato
Just saw it - spent the first half trying to get my head around how different the respective plots of the book and film were, but then started to really enjoy it.

Soldato
Just saw it - spent the first half trying to get my head around how different the respective plots of the book and film were, but then started to really enjoy it.

Sort of my feelings. As a stand alone movie it was certainly enjoyable. The SFX were great and nicely done. It's a solid 7/10 I reckon.

But. I've read the book. And yeah. The changes are jarring.

Don
I read the book but it was many years ago, so I knew the rough theme but couldn't remeber the specifics. After the movie was announced, I actively avoided re-reading it (movies can never do true justice to a book)

Soldato
I made the mistake of listening to the audio book before seeing the film, finished the book on Wednesday and watched the film Thursday, and that was a mistake. I didn't mind the film but I found myself wishing they’d followed the book more closely. Should have seen the film first.

Soldato
Saw it this afternoon in normal 2d, think it might have been slightly better in Imax 3d but it didn't stop me from enjoying it, So many easter eggs from movies and games in there to keep looking for.

Sadly a few parts got ruined due to someone deciding to bring their little cherubs along who were bored watching it.

Also glad I've not read the book as I came out happy.

Back
Top Bottom